Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2016, 11:15 AM   #1

Cedar Creek grab handle going into camper

I know Cedar Creek has never thought of this but I saw it on another thread. If someone at night or any other time that you are in the camper, if someone closes that grab handle going into camper then you can't get out. I tried it on my Cedar Creek and I could not get out, I pushed really hard and the handle would not budge. This is what mine looks like, does anyone have any suggestions?Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1454602503.701123.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	98903

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:24 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Mine is the same.
A small amount of lithium grease on the closed position 'U' shaped notch, (top & bottom) allowed mine to open with pressure from the door.
Hopefully you'll never have to experience this.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:32 AM   #3
Always Learning

I know this is talked about- but I feel like this is one of those urban legends that this happens to people more than it actually does. Kind of like someone pulling the handle on a fifth wheel hitch. I hear of plenty of stories who someone has heard of someone who had this happen, but I've never head first-hand stories.

IMO, it's not worth worrying about.

I have the same handle design + cannot open my door.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:41 AM   #4

The problem is it doesn't have to happen but one time to you. I keep a lock on my handle to the fifth wheel hitch.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
The problem is it doesn't have to happen but one time to you. I keep a lock on my handle to the fifth wheel hitch.

Great minds...think alike !

I also use a small padlock on the hitch release bar.

I used a 1/4" pin made out of a stainless steel bolt...drilled a hole at the bottom for the padlock...and a smaller hole at the top for a split ring to attach the tether to.

However.... today I am going to check my grab handle for this Thread's topic.
(I am claustrophobic.... so I would be the first out the emergency opening if the handle barred the door)

Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:23 PM   #6
Always Learning

Islander makes a good point- with emergency exits, you do generally have a viable exit. It may not be comfortable, but it's there.

The other option assumes you have cellular service, but I wouldn't be against calling someone for assistance. Either the campground where I'm staying or even emergency services if I'm so trapped.

Again, it seems so minuscule of a chance that I wouldn't want the extra setup and breakdown step (no matter how minor it is).

Sorry, I won't post against it again. I know you're looking for useful input.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I know this is talked about- but I feel like this is one of those urban legends that this happens to people more than it actually does. Kind of like someone pulling the handle on a fifth wheel hitch. I hear of plenty of stories who someone has heard of someone who had this happen, but I've never head first-hand stories.

X2- Another point is when ever we stop for a rest break before entering the truck; I walk around and check all connections including the hitch release handle. I also check the manual slide release handle to make sure that this is engaged to the tow position.
In all of my travels over the last 10 years in pulling a 5er, I have never had the slide release handle pulled. An when we pulled a pop-up camper, I never had the release lever pulled on the hitch ball either but I still checked.

By the way all grab handles on any 5er can be closed over the door if someone wanted to. Both of my previous 5er's had handles that could swing both ways. Check them out the next time you are at a dealer or camping show.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:46 PM   #8
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Why not, using a Dremel, change the ramp angle from closed to open, if it's a concern...
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:56 PM   #9

I am going to look for some kind of cable lock, or else file that slot down so door will open. I check the fifth wheel handle and its lock, I still check. I check the tires and I have a TPMS. I have a bed saver on hitch.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:00 PM   #10

In the unlikely event this actually happened you could open the emergency exit window and ask a passerby to unfold the handle. I would hate to have to crawl out of one of those windows though...
spudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:08 PM   #11

No worries. I've got 2 doors, one with the folding grab handle the other without. I insisted on 2 doors when I bought my TT since the kitchen in is the middle, if there is a fire there I can always get out. I can't get my frame through that little exit window. The other reason is, when I was young I was told to never date a lady in a trailer with one door.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

Its always been my habit when driving my semi and any trailer with brakes when I am away from my vehicle I always do a walk around checking things before I get in and I put truck in gear and pull the trailer with brakes set to see if I move and the trailer wont if things are ok you wont move, fifth wheel or ball hitch are ok things are the what they are suppose to be and brakes are adjusted right
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:19 PM   #13

I am glad the grab rail works just like it does on my fiver. I use it as a safety device when I'm towing to be sure the door does not fly open. If someone ever walked by and closed mine, I could get out the door if I wanted to badly enough. The emergency exits would be a tight fit, but at 250 lbs., I could still get out. If you have a cell phone as most do and not in a dead zone, call 911 and ask the next law enforcement officer that came along to stop or the 911 operator could call the campground and there is always good old fashioned yelling for help. All in all I like my grab rail just as it is.
Old codger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 03:21 PM   #14

My only concern with filing to change the ramp angle is that the grab handle may swing open going down the road. I'd start with a dab of grease first.
gmjvlretiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 03:46 PM   #15

I don't know about other floor plans but I believe on our Silverback 29RE the window in the slide near the door could be opened to reposition the grab rail.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:57 PM   #16

I hate the thought of DW shoving me out a exit window. I'll try some grease but I think I'll have to look for some kind of cable lock

Old 02-04-2016, 05:07 PM   #17

NO CAMPER WOULD PLAY A TRICK LIKE THAT UNLESS YOU "PO'd" A CLOSE?? FRIEND!!!!!!!!............J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:25 PM   #18

Not sure what model you have, but in our 29IK the slide out right next to the door has a window and sliding screen. Just slide the window, slide the screen reach out and move the handle.
halfdome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:30 PM   #19

Grab Handle

Drill a hole in the "U" on the TT door side of the bottom grab handle support to accommodate/use a bike lock. Final walk around before leaving, remove lock.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfdome View Post
Not sure what model you have, but in our 29IK the slide out right next to the door has a window and sliding screen. Just slide the window, slide the screen reach out and move the handle.

Our Cedar Creek 32RL does not have a window any where near the door

Tags
camper, cedar creek