Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2017, 08:33 AM   #41

Would be easy to get run over in a truck stop.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170314_093103.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	131821
Cumminz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:01 AM   #42

I'm trying to picture this...so you're at a truck stop...you get in the camper and then what...lay on your stomach to reach the steps to pull them up???

If I was worried about a truck backing into them...I would park my truck at a slight angle to block access to the steps...they'd have to go thru my truck to get to the steps....
Old 03-17-2017, 07:27 AM   #43

Bob you don't have much of an imagination. Use a rope to pull it up. And no I would not so discourteous to partially block another parking space. Spaces in truck stops come at a premium and I sure don't want to be a thousand miles away from home and some disconcerted truck driver do several thousand dollars worth of damage to my truck.
Cumminz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:16 PM   #44

2017 38ck

I was much like you and started with the 34RL, after searching and searching finally went with 38CK. This is a big fifth wheel!. It has tons of room and storage inside and out. I understand the 1 ton SRW is an easier route if you use your tow vehicle as a daily driver. I went with the Dually. A few days of driving and getting used to the rear fender flares it's really not more cumbersome than the SRW but the payload and handling are worth it. I have the on demand HW and so far no complaints. I'm not a fan of the new steps so I opted for the 4 folding steps. Cedar creek is probably the best bang for the buck. I have the 3 AC units and coupled with the CC insulation they really work well even in 100+ temps. Good luck and safe journeys.
Ziggyb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:49 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshope View Post
Attachment 131137
This is what the kick plate looks like at the top of the stairs. Ours did not have one but I contacted MORryde and asked if the would sell me one and the said the would. It is pretty easy to install just two rivets.

Do you know the dimensions of the kick plate?
Gr8Dane777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:00 PM   #46

The dimensions will depend on whether you have the 4 step or the 3 step version. They are different.
Backfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:08 PM   #47
AlmostretiredTom

My wife and I also decided on CC 36CK2 over RL2 model. While the extra storage space (pantry, etc) was huge motivation, we had another reason:
You have to know that we still live in the city and have to fit the unit between the driveways. The problem with the RL2 was that the street (door) side slide came up right next to the door. That meant any time we needed to access anything in the kitchen, street slide had to come out a bit. This was making us very anxious. Long story short, my DW convinces me that the CK2 was great alternative because of the 2-3' open space at left of entry door. This meant being able to enter coach and only have to push out opposite (curb) side slide if needed. This put us a bit heavier and approx 2.5' longer. I was already intimidated as I was going from a 30' tow behind to (what seemed like) this humongous new unit (40.7" overall?). Also, this would be our first 5vr. First time out I brushed a few trees in the campground and quickly realized I had a larger than expected learning curve. No pressure, right?
tomaziegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:00 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaziegler View Post
My wife and I also decided on CC 36CK2 over RL2 model. While the extra storage space (pantry, etc) was huge motivation, we had another reason:
You have to know that we still live in the city and have to fit the unit between the driveways. The problem with the RL2 was that the street (door) side slide came up right next to the door. That meant any time we needed to access anything in the kitchen, street slide had to come out a bit. This was making us very anxious. Long story short, my DW convinces me that the CK2 was great alternative because of the 2-3' open space at left of entry door. This meant being able to enter coach and only have to push out opposite (curb) side slide if needed. This put us a bit heavier and approx 2.5' longer. I was already intimidated as I was going from a 30' tow behind to (what seemed like) this humongous new unit (40.7" overall?). Also, this would be our first 5vr. First time out I brushed a few trees in the campground and quickly realized I had a larger than expected learning curve. No pressure, right?
My wife and I went with the 36CK2 also - and LOVE IT. We didn't really care for the 34RL as it puts the TV right next to the stove top. We like that the pantry separates these two on the 36CK2. We also like the large 2 vanity bathroom. Overall, we just thought this unit fit our needs/wants better. We tow ours with a 2014 F350 SRW PowerStroke and it does great. We just came back from a 6400mile trip that included, Rushmore, Devils Tower, Glacier, Yellowstone, UT, CO and had zero problems with the truck.

Enjoy the RV...

Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:05 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshope View Post
Attachment 131137
This is what the kick plate looks like at the top of the stairs. Ours did not have one but I contacted MORryde and asked if the would sell me one and the said the would. It is pretty easy to install just two rivets.
One thing to be careful about with these steps is that, if you pull the extenders out too far, the top of the step won't clear the bottom of the door and when you try to close the door, the top of the step may hit and damage the door - ask me how I now. You should also put some foam weatherstrip tape along the inside edge of the kickplate, so it doesn't rub on the side of the trailer - again, ask me how I know.

Old 06-24-2018, 02:05 PM   #50

We have ordered a 36CK2 and will pick it up in September. Your experience sounds like the sands reason we went with the 36CK2 instead of the 34RL2.
We are very excited to pick ours up and hit the road!!!
sakoboomer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:04 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakoboomer1 View Post
We have ordered a 36CK2 and will pick it up in September. Your experience sounds like the sands reason we went with the 36CK2 instead of the 34RL2.
We are very excited to pick ours up and hit the road!!!
Congrats.. It's a great floorplan and really nice for 2 people. Lots of room....

Old 06-24-2018, 07:34 PM   #52
AlmostretiredTom

Wishing you all the best!
Just one of many hints you will receive...we just discovered bath gray tank only has sinks and optional washing machine draining to it . . . and galley/kitchen gray tank has shower and kitchen sink.
tomaziegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:57 PM   #53

We bought a champagne 38el and the water heater flow sensor failed in 1st month and Both! Air conditioners failed the gas leaked out with less than 2hrs work in them, and that means 2 new unit's which as we live in UK I'm not going to get, really think before you buy any forestriver ceder creek 5th wheel.

Sent from my SM-T715 using Forest River Forums mobile app
eddy53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:18 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy53 View Post
We bought a champagne 38el and the water heater flow sensor failed in 1st month and Both! Air conditioners failed the gas leaked out with less than 2hrs work in them, and that means 2 new unit's which as we live in UK I'm not going to get, really think before you buy any forestriver ceder creek 5th wheel.

Not fair to condemn Forest River for these problems. They did not make the Air conditioners or they water heater. If it was a Jayco, Heartland product or any other brand they might very well have used the same A/C and water heaters that could have gone bad on them. Would that also make them something nobody should buy? I'm sure you warranty will take care of you.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:34 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy53 View Post

Oh I have a Cedar Creek and have nothing but good things to say about the factory. You had a Cedar Creek shipped to the U.K.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:09 AM   #56

Full Timing in 38el

My wife and I purchased a Champagne 38EL at the end of May. Spent 2 week in it in May, and moved into it full time June 10th. We have had no issues so far and really love this unit. At first I was not sure about the on demand water heater but have found that if you just set the temp to what you like and use full hot water, it works great.

We are looking forward to many years of full timing in this beautiful camper. We the house and close on July 2nd.
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:47 PM   #57

I love my 34rl2. Looked a the 36ckts, which I liked very much. The 34rl2 allows me to stay under 26001# combined.
dngnmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:30 PM   #58

Water Filter

My manual says my 2017 38CK2 CC Hathaway Edition has water filters. I can’t find them and want to put fresh ones in. Anyone know where they are? Thanks.
tmsrlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:24 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
Not fair to condemn Forest River for these problems. They did not make the Air conditioners or they water heater. If it was a Jayco, Heartland product or any other brand they might very well have used the same A/C and water heaters that could have gone bad on them. Would that also make them something nobody should buy? I'm sure you warranty will take care of you.
Really if they stopped fitting them to there units and used a good American manufacturer instead of a Chinese company, where all American products are made, that's why the tariffs are being applied, then I would have air conditioning. Oh and when you buy something from USA and ship it abroad Warrant Not vallied. Won't do it again
Old 07-06-2018, 11:25 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Oh I have a Cedar Creek and have nothing but good things to say about the factory. You had a Cedar Creek shipped to the U.K.
Yeah unfortunately, I should have bought British.

Tags
cedar creek