Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2017, 11:54 PM   #1

Cedar Creek Hathaway

Considering a 36CK2 or a 34RL2. Anything I should know about them? Positives or negatives? Recommended options? Thanks for any information you can provide, positive or negative, on them.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:38 AM   #2

Scroll down to the sub forums and check out the Cedar Creek section, plenty of good info there. Cedar Creek is a very nice unit and we had great factory support when we owned one, we now have a River Stone but the Cedar Creek Champagne was next on the list.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:02 AM   #3

I have had two Cedar Creek's and we have had very few problems, get the second year warranty. Cap fade has been our biggest problem and Cedar Creek took care of that. We have a 32RL Cedar Creek now and we love it. If I should ever trade it will be for a 36CKTS. I would trade tomorrow if I could talk DW into trading, the 36CKTS has more room than ours, more cabinets. Make sure you buy from a dealer you trust, check out the dealer first
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:07 PM   #4

A note on options: for 2017 standard are the one-piece fold out steps and the tankless hot water heater. I opted NOT to get these but to get the traditional folding steps and the 12g gas/elec water heater; just wanted you to know you have options here.
We have the 34RL2 and really glad we got the second slide awning; doubles your shaded patio sitting area.
Suggest you post what options you are interest in and let others comment on that.
Nights Camped: 2017=61
Nights Camped: 2018=25
Nights Camped: 2019=12 | Booked=6
florabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:21 PM   #5

I'm not a fan of the one piece steps. They mount to the door and I'd be really worried they'd fall off their holders when I'm opening the door as you have to reach pretty far up to get at them. Not one of the best ideas to be implemented in my opinion.
Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:09 PM   #6

If you are going to be in the hot and humid areas, you will need 2 air conditioners. Also, the heat pump option is a real plus. I'm not familiar with the models you are looking at, but if you go with the residential refrigerator, insist that your dealer install 6 volt golf cart batteries.
keith52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:03 AM   #7

I'm not a real big fan of the one piece steps but in certain areas that may work better, I will also echo Keith52's comments on residential refrigerator
splong16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:28 PM   #8

I would ask the dealer to install 4 batteries if the battery area will hold them. I have 4 and get lots of runtime for the residential refrigerator. Once you move away from gas / electric you will never want to go back. Just cools so much better.
ttanous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:37 PM   #9

Will there is always one in the crowd and I guess I am that one. I like the one piece step that is on the Cedar Creek Hathaway model. I saw these at the Chicago RV show on several different trailers and I really like the idea for a several reasons. One: they are much more stable than the traditional fold out steps. Two: the steps actual is supported by the ground and the trailer with an easy adjustment at the foot of the step. Not just the trailer as with the fold out steps. Three: they are more aerodynamic designed for towing since the sheet metal on the skirt is one piece. With no cutout for the steps as in the traditional fold out steps.
Did I say I liked them!
Old 02-27-2017, 03:12 PM   #10

By far the one piece steps are much more stable and safe for older folks in and out. One of the things I did not like was the secureness of the way they are stored. Mine has the securing device mounted on the bottom step while folded. While on this forum I saw a photo of a set of steps with securing device mounted on the second step which would make storing more secure. I walked out to the Champagne and mine has the mounting holes and reinforcement mounted on the second step. Dealer is today moving my bracket to second step.
Cumminz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:33 PM   #11

I love the new steps - so much nicer and solid! If we end up going with a new one, we'll get nearly every option, minus full body paint and generator. Two A/C's, Heatpump, both awnings, slide toppers, maybe dual pane windows, receiver hitch, TrailAir, etc.

Anyone do alot of driving with these? Do they hold up to the road well? I plan on doing an entire US tour for two years, so I'm not going to be sitting in a park with it, and that's one thing that worries me. I visited the factory, and let's just say I'm not impressed by the gauge of the steel I-Beam.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:46 PM   #12

I am far from an expert but have spent a lot of time looking at fifth wheels the last six months. IMHO the quality of the Cedar Creek Hathaway edition is far above what we have seen in other manufacturers and even other Forest River RVs of similar price and weight. We absolutely love both the 34RL2 and 36CK2 the only real difference I can see is the 36CK2 is about 2'8" longer which gains you the pantry. It is slightly heavier and the pin weight is more. In the end we decided to go with the 36CK2. DW loves as much storage as she can get and really likes the pantry. We did not do a custom build but found a good deal on a 2017 that had all the stuff we wanted. Ours has the new MORryde steps and after going in and out of a 100 or so RVs I like the stability the offer. Seems like a small thing but if you get them make sure the top step has the kick plate. Saves you from marring up the side of your coach. Other than I think other are great choices.
mdshope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:56 AM   #13

Send a message via ICQ to dduncan Send a message via AIM to dduncan Send a message via Yahoo to dduncan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshope View Post
I am far from an expert but have spent a lot of time looking at fifth wheels the last six months. IMHO the quality of the Cedar Creek Hathaway edition is far above what we have seen in other manufacturers and even other Forest River RVs of similar price and weight. We absolutely love both the 34RL2 and 36CK2 the only real difference I can see is the 36CK2 is about 2'8" longer which gains you the pantry. It is slightly heavier and the pin weight is more. In the end we decided to go with the 36CK2. DW loves as much storage as she can get and really likes the pantry. We did not do a custom build but found a good deal on a 2017 that had all the stuff we wanted. Ours has the new MORryde steps and after going in and out of a 100 or so RVs I like the stability the offer. Seems like a small thing but if you get them make sure the top step has the kick plate. Saves you from marring up the side of your coach. Other than I think other are great choices.

We looked at the Ceder Creeks yesterday and didn't see anything that looked like a kick plate on top step. I looked like if you lowered the steps to low they would hit the side of the trailer and put a dent in the skirting. Do you have a picture of your kick plate? Is this something that you order from the factory or can a dealer put on?
dduncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dduncan View Post
We looked at the Ceder Creeks yesterday and didn't see anything that looked like a kick plate on top step. I looked like if you lowered the steps to low they would hit the side of the trailer and put a dent in the skirting. Do you have a picture of your kick plate? Is this something that you order from the factory or can a dealer put on?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0793.JPG
Views:	475
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	131137
This is what the kick plate looks like at the top of the stairs. Ours did not have one but I contacted MORryde and asked if the would sell me one and the said the would. It is pretty easy to install just two rivets.
mdshope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:00 PM   #15

Those steps make me nervous with no additional hand rail. Someone is just going to hurt themselves on those.
ttanous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:36 PM   #16

We looked at campers for well over a year, before pulling the trigger on our 36CK2. We did our PDI, on Thursday and noted that we got the Lippert version of the solid steps that Moryde makes. It appears to have a slightly wider step, so we are happy with that.

Overall the choice came down to the DW and her need for storage and a large enough bathroom. The CC 36CK2, fit the bill perfectly. Quality of the unit, especially compared to other units in this price range, really stands out.

If you go with a Cedar Creek, it's hard to go wrong. Just my humble opinion
Old 03-05-2017, 12:16 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttanous View Post
Those steps make me nervous with no additional hand rail. Someone is just going to hurt themselves on those.
They extended the grab handle "6 or 8" inches to accommodate the steps which was really needed.
mbrames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:14 AM   #18

Send a message via ICQ to dduncan Send a message via AIM to dduncan Send a message via Yahoo to dduncan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshope View Post
Attachment 131137
This is what the kick plate looks like at the top of the stairs. Ours did not have one but I contacted MORryde and asked if the would sell me one and the said the would. It is pretty easy to install just two rivets.

I understand what you mean by kick plate now. That's a very good idea. I thought they might have a way to keep the steps from denting the skirt if you have unlevel ground and drop the steps to low.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLoree View Post
We looked at campers for well over a year, before pulling the trigger on our 36CK2. We did our PDI, on Thursday and noted that we got the Lippert version of the solid steps that Moryde makes. It appears to have a slightly wider step, so we are happy with that.

Overall the choice came down to the DW and her need for storage and a large enough bathroom. The CC 36CK2, fit the bill perfectly. Quality of the unit, especially compared to other units in this price range, really stands out.

If you go with a Cedar Creek, it's hard to go wrong. Just my humble opinion

We are just like y'all. We have been looking for quite some time. We started looking at units 36 to 38 feet long that could be carried by a SRW one ton. To get everything on our list we are now up to 40 footers. At what point do you say we will not go any longer or taller. On top of our list is AC because we camp alot in 100* weather. Most of the time we will have 50 amp service. Sometimes we will only have 30 amp service. So insulation we be important for us. Can someone tell us if we get the three AC option, will all three run together? A salesman told us with the Elect. management system only two would run at once. We also have a question about the on demand hot water system. We understand you need to have high water flow for it to work well. If we are trying to conserve water because we are not on full hookups, will this be a problem?
Old 03-05-2017, 12:18 PM   #20

Not knowing what's on your list, I can only say that compromise is everything. Be careful with your weights.

We've had our on demand hot water heater now for almost a year. Most of the time we're on city water and we use a whole house regulator set to 55psi (3/4" inlet/outlet). Heater works like a champ. Also, we've been saving propane. I was surprised by this, but now know it is very economical.

At some point our water pump internal check valve failed and our water tank started filling up. We cut the city water and while waiting for my check valve to arrive, just used the onboard water pump and water. The hot water heater worked like a champ. We could not tell any difference. However, we did not take Navy showers.

It takes a good 10 to 15 seconds for hot water to make it to the shower. And when you shut off the water, then turn it back on, it goes hot/cold/hot. With that 10 seconds of cold in the middle. I would think, if I had to take Navy showers often, I would get a conventional gas/electric hot water heater.

Our pump is factory standard ShurFlo 3.0 gpm with a cut off pressure of 55psi.

Tags
cedar creek