Old 02-11-2020, 07:30 PM   #1

Cedar Creek Hathaway 38DBRK

Anybody else have a complete fail on the rear kitchen traveling?

Our first trip we arrived and the entire front facing pantry had come apart. Slide out drawers scattered across floor. Guides torn out hanging and bent. The debris damaged our slide before it opened far enough to see in. Cabinet walls all torn up.

And the front facing Refer close bolt system bent so unable to close refer. Also, even without the fail, the refer travel bolt had a flatbar installed behind one bolt of the refer hinges. This cocked the hinge preventing the bottom gasket on the right door to not make contact. I'm an engineer, so redesigned the refer travel lock and it worked on this trip.

We questioned the dealer when we bought it and were assured Cedar Creek had drawer slides that stopped to pevent this problem and the refer travel lock system was adequate. But this was a short trip so everything was lightly loaded. Had it been a full refer and fully loaded pantry who knows how much worse it would have been.
It's hard to believe anybody would release a trailer with this bad of a fail. Dangerous in my opinion. Did they forget to install the travel locks for the pantry at the Factory? Does your 38DBRK have travel locks on the pantry?

PeteFuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:54 AM   #2

How far away from the factory was your dealer location where you bought the camper? It seems these issues would have come up during transport from the factory??

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:17 AM   #3

I read this and immediately thought of my BIL's first trip in their rear kitchen unit.
Due to the kitchen being at the rear, there is a lot more movement in the kitchen area as the RV is going down the road.
They got to their destination with much the same result. They quickly learned they had to pack things a little differently than they did with a center kitchen, and where not to put heavier items. They had to pack items tighter in the pantry and use spring tension rods to keep things from becoming projectiles. They also replaced all the drawer/cabinet catches with higher poundage pull catches to keep everything closed while traveling.
The next trip was much less eventful.
But yes, I've never understood why manufacturers use those cheap catches and drawer slides that need to be replaced and upgraded before you ever move your RV.
Sorry the debris damaged your walls and slides. If they won't cover it with warranty (faulty, under rated catches and drawer slides) then perhaps a call to your insurance would be beneficial.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:47 AM   #4

I heard the early River Stone floorplan similar to this had some issues as well from the complaints on the FB page, some used child safety latches to hold the cabinets closed and some even packed some type of packing material in the fridge to keep things from bouncing around. Now RS installs a stronger magnet that holds the cabinets shut. This sounds more like the cabinets pulled off the wall. Good luck I hope things get fixed quickly and right for you.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:46 AM   #5

Slow Rider - They transport with empty cabinets and refer.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:03 PM   #6

Ours is not of this style only a Silverback 31IK but I have had some weird issues, fireplace inop (2)., propane valve leaking. Pantry drawer guides worn would not hold drawer in tight. All have been addressed under warranty so far but quality control is very poor on these units, and sloppy workmanship.
Kl859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:26 PM   #7

no problem with ours

we have your same model. immediately after purchase the ice make connection failed and the dealer fixed immediately. we've also had a wiring issue with the overhead light switches and usb plug on the office/dining room slide out. haven't bother to have fixed as we are full-times and not worth the hassle of getting it into the dealer. we have also had an issue with one of the hinges on the entry door locking up. havent taken that in either. those are the only 3 issues we've had. purchased in march of 2019 and have loved it overall
PortAMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:59 PM   #8

Folks- I'm not looking to trash on Cedar Creek. Just trying to find out if someone at the factory forgot to put travel locks on our Pantry Slide Out Drawers.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:06 PM   #9

We or u am not trashing Cedar Creek just stating facts we purchased ours 9/2019 now 2/2020 and have been on a foster name basis with my dealers warranty department. They have been very good about replacing items. But warranty work maybe hard as we are 1500 miles from there now and hard to take to a dealer when it is your only home....
Kl859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteFuller View Post
Folks- I'm not looking to trash on Cedar Creek. Just trying to find out if someone at the factory forgot to put travel locks on our Pantry Slide Out Drawers.
Do you have soft close doors on your cabinets? Not sure what Cedar Creek is installing. If so maybe they need stronger ones. We have a River Stone and their pantry drawers are the soft close style, is yours that kind? Just trying to gather info to maybe see what was missed.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:23 PM   #11

They are soft close, but have some strange spring loaded item at the back. It's hard to tell what it is since everything is bent up now. But no drawer guide could work. Its a Pantry slide out. Put 20lb / 10 kg of goods on it. Then have to slam on the brakes. It opens towards the front of the 5th wheel. That takes a good latch. More than a tough drawer guide.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteFuller View Post
They are soft close, but have some strange spring loaded item at the back. It's hard to tell what it is since everything is bent up now. But no drawer guide could work. Its a Pantry slide out. Put 20lb / 10 kg of goods on it. Then have to slam on the brakes. It opens towards the front of the 5th wheel. That takes a good latch. More than a tough drawer guide.
Ok this is a start, first off this is a problem with the rear kitchen models like yours, like I mentioned before at River Stone they had this same issue but they use soft close doors as well so they had to start with the stronger magnets and it does seem to have improved it some. I assume your doors are not soft close so I guess a plastic catch instead, which with some weight in the drawers on a panic stop well you know what happens. For now when you get things back together your only option would be to try and secure your doors either with the child locks or zip ties. I would contact Cedar Creek to see if maybe they are offering a better solution, sorry that's all I have to offer. Keep us posted how things go.

Tags
cedar creek