Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2014, 03:43 PM   #1

Cedar Creek still needs more attention to detail

Our new 38CK is a nice trailer and pretty well built but the factory needs a little more attention to detail.

1. There is too much mastic applied to the screws attaching the bedroom slide-out support rollers to the cabin frame. With time the adhesive oozes out, gets on the roller and is spread on the bottom of the slide. In cold weather it is sticky enough that the Schwintek slide jams on one side and the room gets cocked and jams with an overload. The DW gets pretty excited when she can't get to the bathroom. Paint thinner removes the mastic but more will show up and has to be removed several times before all is OK.

2. The factory did not need to put roof sealant all over the base of the Winegard TV antenna. It is supposed to rotate. Had to crawl on the roof with a box cutter and cut the rotating base loose.

3. If you push the rear couch back and the plastic retainers for the window curtains are mounted too low, they will break. Easy fix but a nuisance.
Sterlingsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:11 PM   #2

Things to watch for

Front basement, black front edge of tray; screws come loose and you'll need four more.
Metal along the very bottom edge, front, both sides, metal pulls away from screws. You'll need four more, 1" #12, self threaders.
Vacuum EVERYWHERE! Look atop the BR TV, inside the entertainment center, sawdust!
You'll need the pro-fill for the batteries, available only from CW. Assuming you have four, six volt batteries. We have the res fridge.

If you have questions, please ask. We love our CKTS!
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:21 PM   #3

Yea we found a few things the same but what can you do, the dealer fixed them or another dealer did at Forest River expense. This C/C has been very good, some problems but overall its been one nice camper, I guess it was time for us to get a good one. From what I hear from other C/C owners while traveling around is overall C/C makes a good camper, we had some little things but me and DW are happy and plan to keep camper until we quit. One day DW will get to old to yell at me for doing something dumb and then we will quit camping, one of us is getting a little slow now
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:23 PM   #4

Check for long screws on the bottom of the slides, especially the bedroom. Add extra screws to your aluminum flashing on both the left and right sides. Check to make sure ALL the windows lock properly. Check the screws on all the locks outside. Some of the issues we had on ours..!

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:31 PM   #5

At the Cedar Creek price point, why are they using plastic window hardware? Our '11 Cardinal, our '07 Cedar Creek, our '03 Jayco, and our '01 Sportsmen all had metal window hardware.

I looked at a leftover 36B4 last fall and found several miscues with the fit and finish, all interior defects. My wife and I hate the tiny light switches, why don't they use the nice rocker switches like other units in this price range?

Cannot deny they are nice looking rigs though.
Flintstones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:22 PM   #6

Ol Creeker, question, do the 2014 C/C units have a manual reset for the hydraulic pump motor? I was outside and tried to bring in the hydraulic slides. The passenger side came in slowly (it was -10) and then the driver's side never moved. The batteries are good (all 4 of them). I can hear the relay clicking but the pump motor makes no effort.
Sterlingsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:07 PM   #7

I don't know. But, in the morning, I'll look and let you know. OMG! -10? Are you in the CC? Nah, you're home - right? Did you see my response regarding things to look for, eg loose bolts, and sawdust? If not, I'll send you a short list.
Duramax/Allison
Old 01-07-2014, 10:03 PM   #8

Thanks to all you folks for posting your fixes.

We used our rig for about 2 months last summer and had a few problems the dealer took care of right away. Our CC is stored in the lower 48... so I've been making a list of possible maintenance items I'll need to address when we make our annual trip outside.

Here's what I have so far:

Check furnace ducts
Clean fridge burner and flu
Check screws fastening skirts into frame
Reinforce ladder mount
Check Air Conditioner gasket
Decal bubbles
Lug nut torque
Re torque spring and suspension bolts
Check spare tire mount, could be loose
Reese hitch isolator bushing replacement
TST Repeater install
Oxygenics shower head
Old 01-07-2014, 10:19 PM   #9

Add bug screens to your list of items you'll need come Spring. These are the screens that cover the furnace and water heater vents. But! Per a tech, remove them before taking the rig in for service because they technically void the warranty!
Duramax/Allison
Old 01-07-2014, 11:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney View Post
Reinforce ladder mount
Haven't heard of this one. Do you have any info or links?

Thanks
Demco Glide Ride pin box
Demco Hijacker UMS 21K hitch
mlatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlatter View Post
Haven't heard of this one. Do you have any info or links?

Thanks
This is from my own observation.

When I was installing my sewer hose storage set up I noticed there is no backing support behind the fiberglass end cap. The bottom ladder mounts are only screwed into the fiberglass with no additional support. I don't know about the other upper ladder fasteners... you can't see them from below. Seems to me there should be additional support or backing and not just the fiberglass end cap supporting the weight on the ladder.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL Creeker View Post
Add bug screens to your list of items you'll need come Spring. These are the screens that cover the furnace and water heater vents. But! Per a tech, remove them before taking the rig in for service because they technically void the warranty!
Already installed the screens last summer. Hadn't heard about the warranty being voided. My dealers service tech recommended the screens... seems to me the screens should help in maintaining the furnace and WH.

Tags
cedar creek