Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2016, 05:07 PM   #61
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
Ok what don't you know about turning geometry with a 5th wheel and a short bed truck?
I will guarantee that you will in some time hit the cab and possibly break a window if you do not have a sliding hitch when backing up in a campground or in your driveway! The truck and trailer are never on the same plane when backing up either the site has a curb or is slightly uneven. This will skew the trailer inwards and the closing point of the trailer and Cab are actually closer than you think. You are very rarely on a level surface when you are in a campground, either the road has a crown or there is a curb that you need to go over.
As far as Silverback's having a sculpture corner that is no different than a Cougar and the 88Deg corners that they have. I still hit my corner of the cab with the Cougar very very slightly when I did not extend the hitch in a parking lot trying to maneuver around a curb and tree.

Either buy a long bed truck or buy a slider hitch, end of story!
Ever heard of a Reese Sidewinder?
Old 11-03-2016, 06:34 PM   #62

Aw but not to worry. Those power sliding back windows on a newer truck are only around $1500.00
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:19 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Ever heard of a Reese Sidewinder?

I myself do not like the sidewinder pin boxes! Why? I have seen some people having trouble hooking up, I believe you need to be straight on to the pin box or the king pin will not engage correctly. Also I like the Trailair pin box and this works for me!
Old 11-03-2016, 10:10 PM   #64

Quote:
I myself do not like the sidewinder pin boxes! Why? I have seen some people having trouble hooking up, I believe you need to be straight on to the pin box or the king pin will not engage correctly. Also I like the Trailair pin box and this works for me!
Just for the record, you don't have to be perfectly straight on to hook up a sidewinder, height is actually more important in my experience. And like every hitch out there, it might be difficult until you are practiced with it. I just don't like seeing a great product bashed by someone who has never actually used it.

Trailair is a great hitch for cushioning the ride, which is why I got the sidewinder with fifth airborne air ride so I could have the best of both worlds.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:39 PM   #65

Quote:
Actually that is not true for the Sidewinder. You can actually hook up at 90 degrees to the RV. Now that is true for most auto slider hitches (which the Sidewinder isn't).

Watch this video of of a RV being hitched at 90 degrees....

https://youtu.be/h6Xer_5x9NY

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:08 PM   #66

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I have the Revolution, same concept as sidewinder and hitch up on angles all the time. Pull test is bit of a problem though trying hitch at 90 degrees.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:17 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I have the Revolution, same concept as sidewinder and hitch up on angles all the time. Pull test is bit of a problem though trying hitch at 90 degrees.
And it must be hard on the tires also. The point though is that you can hitch at any angle from 0 to 90 if you have too....

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 05:19 AM   #68
OLD DLR

2017 cedar creek silverback,2016 ram longhorn diesel, 2017 sliderite slider........many short turns,,,,,slider works great,,,,,,,,40plus yrs 24 different units ,,,,,,your fiver will come thru the back window with many short beds,,,,ouch,,,many dollars and ouch..
ALLEND55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 05:36 AM   #69
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Have had one for 4+ yrs and have never had a problem hooking up. Mine can't be turned by hand which probably contributes to the ease of hooking up.

Tags
cedar creek