Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2020, 03:27 PM   #1

Cedar Creek vs Cardinal

We've narrowed our choices to either a 2021 Cedar Creek 388RK ( I'm told it's a mid year model change from the 38DBRK)Or a Cardinal Luxury 390FBX.First thought we wanted the Cardinal over the Cedar Creek but after driving 350 miles to Fort Worth to see it I was dissappointed by some of the lack of attention to detail on a few little things in the construction.Looked at a different model Cedar Creek than the FP we like but it seemed to have a little bit better construction and I also like that the Cedar Creek unit has 8000 lb axles vs 7000 lbs on the Cardinal.Prefer the Sailun tires on Cardinal vs Westlake on Cedar Creek but I guess you pay your money and take your chances.In my part of the country there are no Cardinal dealers.I've spent many hours online trying to find a good priced unit nearby but it looks like we will be ordering from Couch's RV nation as I can't find anyone that even gets within a few thousand of his quote for a new 2021 on either brand.
2019 Hemisphere GLX 273RL Sold
Teamster4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:06 AM   #2

I would really research the builds on both, Cedar Creek uses a hung wall like in a home and Cardinal uses a laminated wall system, I know to some that is a big factor, electric lines can be run thru the walls on a hung wall not the other and repairs ( if ever needed ) are easier on the hung wall, or so I have heard. Both nice units but my choice would be the Cedar Creek. I know on one of your other threads I suggested the River Stone line as well and seeing Couch also carries them I would suggest looking at them also to compare to the Cedar Creek, yes they are higher priced but a better build with more standard options. You might also want to price out a unit thru International RV Wholesalers in Elkhart In. neat the factories which might save some on shipping and like friends of ours did camp nearby when picking up, so if a problem arises your nearby for repairs. Good luck on your decision and if you have any River Stone questions ask away.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:09 AM   #3

When we were in the market for a new 5er, I looked at several different models and brands. Everything from Redwood's, JAYCO, Solitudes, Cardinals and the Cedar Creek model, in 2015.

My wife and I choose the Cedar Creek Line for several reasons. Such as build quality, RV components, frames, wall construction and a near by dealer. I wanted the best possible storage area in the basement, a 12" frame (Cedar Creek offers a 10" I-beam frame with a 2" welded tube on top) along with 7,000 LB axels and a wet bolt system for the suspension. The pin box was rated for 18,000 LBS and you could upgrade to the TrailAir Ride pin box as an option.

To me the Cedar Creek was the best value for the money I was spending to up grade, and still is.
Old 07-21-2020, 04:05 AM   #4

Canít beat Cedar Creek with build quality...hung walls with screwed and glued frame is much better option than alternative that most out there use (laminated/welded). You want as much flex built in to frame as possible, as these things are rolling earthquakes. This also allows for a better, more residential style insulation vs block foam that a lot are using. They also use a higher gloss exterior than most which is an added bonus. Go cedar creek...you wonít be disappointed.
TruckDriver1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 04:11 AM   #5

Cedar Creek vs Cardinal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamster4life View Post
We've narrowed our choices to either a 2021 Cedar Creek 388RK ( I'm told it's a mid year model change from the 38DBRK)Or a Cardinal Luxury 390FBX.First thought we wanted the Cardinal over the Cedar Creek but after driving 350 miles to Fort Worth to see it I was dissappointed by some of the lack of attention to detail on a few little things in the construction.Looked at a different model Cedar Creek than the FP we like but it seemed to have a little bit better construction and I also like that the Cedar Creek unit has 8000 lb axles vs 7000 lbs on the Cardinal.Prefer the Sailun tires on Cardinal vs Westlake on Cedar Creek but I guess you pay your money and take your chances.In my part of the country there are no Cardinal dealers.I've spent many hours online trying to find a good priced unit nearby but it looks like we will be ordering from Couch's RV nation as I can't find anyone that even gets within a few thousand of his quote for a new 2021 on either brand.

Adding to my post above...we also bought from Couchís in January of this year for same reason as you...were consistently $4-5k less than anything local we could find. We drove up from Richmond Va to take delivery and couldnít have been happier with the process. We had a couple small issues that happened after we got back, but they were great at taking care of them almost immediately. Would highly recommend. And I wouldnít be too concerned with the Westlake G rated tires (I assume thatís the model), as they are actually review quite well...much higher than their E rated tires.
TruckDriver1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:51 AM   #6

I forgot to mention about the Westlake tires that you are inquiring about. Like you, I too was concerned about the Westlake tires when I purchased my Cedar Creek in the summer of 2015. I could not find any information on the "G" rated tires on this forum at the time! I was going to change them out but the dealer talked me out of it. I was dealing with the salesman and Service manager about the tires. The salesman owns a 2014 Cedar Creek with the Westlake tires on his unit. He stated that he never had an issue with his tires. So, my DW who is very tight with the budget said let's run the trailer for a year and replace them next summer.

After a year of traveling several thousand miles and winter storage the tires only lost about 10PSI. Not like my other Chinse tires on TT did when in winter storage. So, I said OK let’s see what happens that year (2016) with them! So, after 5 years of ownership I finely replace the Westlake tires this summer. The tires aged out and wear showing signs of outside side wall checkering and cracking.

I was going to replace them with another 4-Westlake tires in the G rated size but could not find a local dealer for them. So, I replaced them with Goodyear G614 tires purchased from Discount tires.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:41 PM   #7

Our experience...

Like you, we found that no other dealer could come close to Couch on the 2017.5 34RL2 we ordered through him. We took delivery in Hamilton and the prep, walk through, financing, every aspect of the sale was top notch.
The quality, features and support of Cedar Creek is what led to our selection and we have not been disappointed in the 3.5 years and over 33,000 miles of enjoyable travel.
We got excellent service for all 33k miles on the Westlake tires. Although they still had many miles of tread remaining and no issues I replaced all bearings, brake assemblies and tires in the end of May expecting another 3+ years of worry free travel as we did in the past (150 nights camped last year). We leave for ~ 12 days in the GA mountains tomorrow but no way will we make 150 this year with all of the Wuflu bs. Our new tires BTW are Westlakes like originally equipped, they are that good.
Good luck in your purchase selection and safe travels.
TandSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 01:36 PM   #8

Cedar Creek

For my 2 cents worth. Our first 5th wheel was a 2015 38CK. I never want to see this one go. We love it and havenít found any in comparison that I would like YET havenít been interested in looking at new models.
alicemerrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 02:33 PM   #9

Send a message via MSN to redjet
We bought a 2016 Cardinal and had many problems with it, but none were super serious. They were all fixed at the FROG rally in Goshen or at the factory in Elkhart. Forest River has been really great fixing and replacing things; consequently, our unit is now fully functional.

Unfortunately, Cardinals are no longer the top of the Forest River lineup. In subsequent years, since our purchase, they have degraded in material quality and workmanship. If I was shopping today, I'd much rather have a Cedar Creek.

If you are looking at a Cardinal from United RV in Fort Worth - all I can say is Buyer Beware of their service (warranty) department.

2016 Cardinal 3850RL - 7/31/15
2020 Ford F150 - 3.5L EcoBoost - Lariat - 4X4
2018 Club Car - Gas - Lifted
redjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 03:31 PM   #10

We drove up from Georgia to buy our Cedar Creek from Couch RV and were very happy with the experience.

One other perk with the Cedar Creek that I think is worth mentioning is Orvan Fry, owner of Amish Family RV. He is tops in servicing Cedar Creeks. If you could schedule an appointment with Orvan during the same trip to pick up your Cedar Creek, I think you would have the best of both worlds.

We made a separate trip to see Orvan before our one year warranty was up even though we had no real problems. He and his folks were amazing and corrected all kinds of little things that could have been problems down the road after we were out of warranty. He is now our go to guy for any Cedar Creek issues that I can't handle myself.
Old 07-21-2020, 03:53 PM   #11

I so love Cardinal but like others have said here the construction is just better long term on a Creek in my opinion. You can still have de lamination but itís much much easier to repair. Plus Amish Family RV are pros at repair and on time.

I didnít know about Orvan but he bailed me out last summer from an accident I was in and also just fixed a bunch of warranty stuff.

Unfortunately this year so far has been a bust because of COVID. I wish you all the best on your decision.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardinal, cedar creek