Old 01-30-2020, 06:37 PM   #1

Cedar Creek Warranty Process Changing

Well it had to happen at some point, looks like Cedar Creek is changing the way they approve/disapprove warranty service. I have an appointment with Orvan (Amish Family RV) in April to have both Warranty and non-Warranty work done. Got a call from Jolisa who sounded very frustrated today, I now have to submit pictures of the issues for any warranty work I want done directly to Cedar Creek well in advance and then request that Amish Family RV be the service vendor. IF they approve the warranty repairs only then can I have Orvan do the work. Sounds like the good ol' days of just taking it to Orvan and getting it all fixed are over. Jolisa told me that she had to call everybody on the appointment list to tell them the new procedures. I don't have the back story yet but I plan to find out what that is. I think Cedar Creek is going to tighten the warranty screws.

Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 05:41 AM   #2

I am glad got in to see Orvan in December to have the warranty issues fix then. It will be interesting to see how this new procedure goes.

mshenygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:21 AM   #3

So first Cedar Creek shakes up their warranty department by getting rid of probably the best employee ever now this??? I have a feeling this will also happen at other divisions as well, like River Stone and Sandpiper/Sierra
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:29 AM   #4

Trending Warranty Work

I just hope that Cedar Creek is trending the warranty work that is being completed across the US and continue to better the quality of workmanship along with products. If they tighten too much i see a class action suite happening and or Cedar Creek with begin selling their products with a LIMIT factory warranty which then i think people will start rethinking their product purches in the future.

My two cents....
4garylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 01:24 PM   #5

I can see one scenario, Orvan knows that rig backwards and forwards and can find every little issue in a matter of an hour. I think they are trying to suppress Orvan's ability to do warranty repairs based on what he finds vs what I might find or another dealer might find and subsequently drive down their warranty repair liability. Fortunately for me I had 99% of all my warranty work done last September by Orvan, I only have one minor slide issue and a dump valve issue for him to fix in April and some other non-warranty work I want done. We'll see what they do but if they start denying warranty claims too much it won't take long for social media to drive down their sales.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 01:43 PM   #6

Orvan!!

i know what you are saying. Orvan has done all of ours as well which has corrected everthing wrong directly from the factory. If anything that CC should give huge thanks to Orvan with correcting CC factory problems sending thier customers on there way HAPPY!!
4garylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 01:55 PM   #7

I guess I don't see what the fuss is about. Any warranty work I've ever had done by anybody had to be pre-approved and occasionally they needed pictures or further details from the tech. Usually didn't take too long to accomplish.
Don't know why work done by Orvan would be any different.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 02:14 PM   #8

Thank you for the heads up on your dilemma. Considering I was looking Cedar Creeks TH, I will have to rethink my purchase. But I’m more than sure if one decides to act like that they will eventually follow. But Grand Design is looking better and better at this moment?
normy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 02:23 PM   #9

Why? GD has to pre-approve warranty work also. I guess I'm missing something. Sounds to me like they just limited Orvan's blank check approach to CC warranty work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by normy41 View Post
Thank you for the heads up on your dilemma. Considering I was looking Cedar Creeks TH, I will have to rethink my purchase. But Im more than sure if one decides to act like that they will eventually follow. But Grand Design is looking better and better at this moment?
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 02:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycruiser View Post
I can see one scenario, Orvan knows that rig backwards and forwards and can find every little issue in a matter of an hour. I think they are trying to suppress Orvan's ability to do warranty repairs based on what he finds vs what I might find or another dealer might find and subsequently drive down their warranty repair liability. Fortunately for me I had 99% of all my warranty work done last September by Orvan, I only have one minor slide issue and a dump valve issue for him to fix in April and some other non-warranty work I want done. We'll see what they do but if they start denying warranty claims too much it won't take long for social media to drive down their sales.
I agree with you on this, that's exactly what I was thinking
Old 01-31-2020, 02:27 PM   #11

They all need pre-approval.
normy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 03:04 PM   #12
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by normy41 View Post
They all need pre-approval.
X2. Nothing new here. Same as taking your rig back to the dealership for warranty work. It has to be approved before the dealership can do anything.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 03:25 PM   #13

No - they are trying to slow Orvan down - let me explain. We took our brand new 2019 straight from the dealer to Orvan last summer. Orvan found & fixed several items that were only going to be a problem 3-5 yrs down the line...and he billed the factory for warranty work......normally, the trailer would have been long out of warranty when these problems popped up.....and I would have had to pay somebody to fixed them. These issues would never show up in a photo until the damage was visible down the road.

We were also told, (not by Orvan) by somebody in the know....that CC was making Orvan bid on repair items like anybody else - where in the past, they were given to him for free.

Orvan's success is creating a problem....CC should realize they can use personnel to build new units instead of repairing warranty items.

We're on our 2nd CC, which we really love - time will only tell whether we get a third.
USN 76-82
Retired Dept of Navy Flt Test Engineer
Splashes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 04:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4garylee View Post
i know what you are saying. Orvan has done all of ours as well which has corrected everthing wrong directly from the factory. If anything that CC should give huge thanks to Orvan with correcting CC factory problems sending thier customers on there way HAPPY!!
I agree 1,000%! Cedar Creek should be praising Orvan and his crew for fixing CC's shoddy workmanship. If a business wants to survive, it has to work towards satisfying as many customers as possible.

CC also needs to understand the rising number of us full-timers who live in our rigs, not just using them 7-8 weekends a year, and make quality rigs that will last.
Bobh62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 04:05 PM   #15
Tundra 2014

Cedar Creek

Orvan fixes it right the 1 st. time, every time in a timely manner. I think Forrest River should study his business on how it should be done. I also am looking for a new 5 th. wheel and was considering Cedar Creek. Will look harder at Grand Design for better quality out of the manufacturer. In 2 years of following this forum, I have never seen anything but positive comments on his business. The fact that they called and told customers of the change says a lot more about his concern for quality than anything I have experienced w/ dealing w/ FR.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 04:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobh62 View Post
I agree 1,000%! Cedar Creek should be praising Orvan and his crew for fixing CC's shoddy workmanship. If a business wants to survive, it has to work towards satisfying as many customers as possible.

CC also needs to understand the rising number of us full-timers who live in our rigs, not just using them 7-8 weekends a year, and make quality rigs that will last.
Agreed!!
Old 01-31-2020, 04:39 PM   #17

I'm glad I got my minor warranty issues and other improvements (that I paid for) recommended by Orvan to make my rig better in late Oct 2019. Orvan knows Cedar Creek 5th wheels backwards and forwards and can find issues that even an experienced RV'er or average dealers can miss. I know that my authorized forest river repair facility in Augusta GA had to get everything pre-approved, a time consuming standard process. I also think they may be trying to suppress Orvan's ability to do warranty repairs based on what he finds vs what the owner or another dealer might find and subsequently drive down their warranty repair liability. I'm think that all of us who have experienced Orvan's shop's expertise / skill level and posted how pleased we were on this forum has turned out to be a problem for him. How much can it hurt to have one repair facility 2 miles down the road from Cedar Creek factory do this kind of service? I think Cedar Creek may be hurting themselves with this move, I don't know anyone who left Orvan's and not be a happy camper. I'm over my one year warranty at this point, but if I have a major problem I'm going back to his shop, just a long distance camping trip for me.
tmims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:19 PM   #18

I purchased a 2020 36ck2 in april and I just got back from Orvans 2 days ago to have warranty work done before it ended. I only had about 3k miles on my rig, but I needed slides adjusted, seals replaced, staples popping up under the rubber roof, etc. 32 items repaired. Cedar Creek should be happy to have a guy like him that can spot problems and fix them (and take pride in doing so) before they turn into big problems and cost the consumer alot in repairs down the road. Losing Denise Davis at Cedar Creek for warranty work may turn out not to be in the consumers best interest.Love my Creek, but after taking the factory tour, it is still just an assembly line.
wayne272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:22 PM   #19
Green Horn

could always blow up their face book page about this
kevin211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:02 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
Orvan fixes it right the 1 st. time, every time in a timely manner. I think Forrest River should study his business on how it should be done. I also am looking for a new 5 th. wheel and was considering Cedar Creek. Will look harder at Grand Design for better quality out of the manufacturer. In 2 years of following this forum, I have never seen anything but positive comments on his business. The fact that they called and told customers of the change says a lot more about his concern for quality than anything I have experienced w/ dealing w/ FR.
You can be sure that Cedar Creek has no vested interest if following the example of Orvan's shop. I've taken a couple of factory tours at the CC shop, one guided at the Goshen rally, and another on my own. I spent well over 30 years at General Dynamics Mission Systems as a senior manufacturing engineer. I understand a bit about manufacturing and I can tell you that the methods at the CC factory do not lend themselves to anything but speed.

They have a quota of units to get out every day and when they hit that number, most workers go home to their farms to finish their own chores. The quicker they get out of there, the more time they have for their own. Most are at a hard run all day at the factory. The only reason there is any sense of quality at all is the experience of the men doing the work. I saw no real method of quality control, checks, or upon close questioning, no real good system of finding and correcting defects.

Quantity and speed are the driving factors. Quality only comes from repetition.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cedar creek, warranty