Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2017, 12:51 PM   #61

It's hard to have just one.
Cumminz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:17 PM   #62
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Like potatoe chips.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:42 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
Like potatoe chips.
Right on. That is what I was finking.
Cumminz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:10 PM   #64

I fixed the leak on mine. I'll see what happens on my trip to Myrtle Beach later this month. I put 115 lbs in bladder
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:58 PM   #65

Well I guess it's time to eat crow but with the leak fixed the TrailAir rode right. As a matter of fact with 105lbs of air it was a little above the top of the arrows. With great granddaughter in car seat it was hard to see in rear view mirror. But it works now
Old 02-17-2017, 11:18 PM   #66
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

I'm glad you stuck with it. Good to hear it's working now.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:58 PM   #67

Appreciate all of this discussion! Has helped me allot. Since I picked up our Silverback 31RK a couple weeks ago, I've put a little over 1,000 miles on it. I haven't rolled it across a set of scales, but guessing I have a pin weight in the 2500 - 2700# range, which is lighter than you guys probably. I have intentionally ran the Trailair in three positions; near the bottom of the arrow, slightly above the mid-point of the arrow and at the top of the arrow. Mine pulls best slightly above the mid-point. When running it low, I get a fair amount of impact to the truck from trailer on rough road. At the top of the arrow (actually just slightly higher) I got a fair amount of chucking. I also have a slight leak. Guess I'll be taping the stem threads when I get home next week. I'll also note, my tow speed is typically a couple mph under the speed limit, so I'm taking it easy.
rmcmillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:16 PM   #68

Your Silverback 33ik inbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedstr View Post
Have Trail Air on my Silverback and am very pleased with its operation. I can look in the rear view mirror and see a steady RV with some movement of my truck. There is a limit on how big of a bump any air shock can dampen out. I also have Air Lift airbags that raise the rear of the truck to keep it level under load. Great combination.
I am interested in your Silverback and Truck set up. I had just placed an order for a 2018 Silverback 33IK and have to let the dealer know if I want to upgrade the pinbox to the TrailAir or keep the standard pinbox . Cost is around $800.00 for the upgrade but if it would be worth it I would place it on the build sheet to have it installed at factory instead of replacing it later. Also I have a 2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD crew cab Diesel 6.5 ft bed and was wondering what hitch you have in your truck and what air lift you installed and how you like it. Any feed back would be great. Thanks Chuck
Cloudteaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:56 PM   #69

I have a 2016 Chevrolet 3500 DRW without any airbags. My hitch is a B&W Companion. I now have about 5,000 miles with the 31RK and haven't any problems. Towing has been very comfortable, and, I'm new to RV'ing, although I do tow a gooseneck on a fairly regular basis. With the 33' I'd be surprised if you would need any airbags on a 2500. I almost wish I had a little more pin weight to help level my truck, it still sits rear end high. I'm glad I spent the money on the Trailair. You won't have any problems with your combination. Wishing you the very best and many relaxing nights!
rmcmillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:34 PM   #70

Andersen hitch + TrailAir = Nirvana
mbbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:08 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudteaser View Post
I am interested in your Silverback and Truck set up. I had just placed an order for a 2018 Silverback 33IK and have to let the dealer know if I want to upgrade the pinbox to the TrailAir or keep the standard pinbox . Cost is around $800.00 for the upgrade but if it would be worth it I would place it on the build sheet to have it installed at factory instead of replacing it later. Also I have a 2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD crew cab Diesel 6.5 ft bed and was wondering what hitch you have in your truck and what air lift you installed and how you like it. Any feed back would be great. Thanks Chuck

Any chance are you going to the FROG rally this year? How far do you live from Goshen IN?
Old 04-25-2017, 08:14 PM   #72

Quote:
This is an opposing view:

Airbags: Ran them and they have a place, looking for a comfy ride or need to raise you vehicle they offer that, not new tech but old tech, been around forever, solid and reliable for the purpose intended. IMO I see no need for another layer of suspension, couple it with a Trailaire and you got 3 layers, for that reason alone I cannot justiy a complex setup like this.

In addition I see need for airbags in a properly setup suspension.

Something to consider is that suspension-springs compress and they decompress, now the airbag can absorb the opposing action that could be generated by road conditions + suspension + airbags, they are good enough you will prob not notice, but add in a 3rd layer and its possible harmonics can set in, which can run the gamut to a mild vibration lasting but a few seconds all the way to catastrophic results (not likely IMO)

I believe the truck is more than adequate to deal with the needs of the 5th wheel and the truck, if not enough for your liking you can invest in a Hellwig Big Wig Rear sway bar and a front Big Wig if you need more. The next step is good adjustable shocks such as the Rancho RS 9000 XL adjustable ( I have run both Big Wig and Ranchos for many year on 6 different trucks and never had a handling or suspension issue...that said I like a firmer ride than most and a vehicle that will handle well, forget the cushy ride for me.

I have run several 5th wheel components, the last was a Reese Evo and it worked as expected, performed well, but like many always the 'chunking' (not bad and did not bother me, bothered the wife). I knew there was a better solution and I found one. The Pullrite ball and cup design, quiet, in fact almost silent, and hooking unhooking cannot be any faster or simpler, get the ball over the edge of the cup and lower your 5th wheel, it falls in. Same to unhook, raise your 5th and the ball just pops out and your done. An occasional shot of WD 40 (as per the mfg) keeps it clean and working properly.

We travel almost every week and I love the ball and cup and would never go back to another system. But to each his own, your ride, your wallet and what ever works for you is the best: ISR Series SuperLite 20K Fifth Wheel Hitch | Fifth Wheel Hitches by PullRite

Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:13 PM   #73

Quote:

Chuck. We just picked up our 2018 33ik. We too have a 2015 GMC 2500 with a 6.5 box. We went with a Curt hitch and the std pin box. I am happy with the ride and nicely levelled out the truck. I don't think we need air bags. Hope this helps
narrowsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:44 AM   #74

2015 33rl. Curt hitch; TrailAir; helper springs on 2008 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummings. All good.
NOTHING MOVES INSIDE THE RV AT 63mph all day long. HAPPY CAMPER [emoji122]
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch