Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2019, 08:25 AM   #21

A bottle jack under the spring perch is correct. But, I've used my 6-point levelers to raise one side at a time to service my bearings and brakes.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:26 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Yep, I use my 6-point level-up sysem to change tires and repack wheel bearings. No problem. I do use jack stands on the frame when working on the brakes/bearings at my home with both tires off on one side.
As long as you leave one side on the ground, you don't have to worry about the spring hangers flipping.
Lots of debate in other threads about doing this with the truck hitched/unhitched. I've done it both ways, saw no difference.

So if I use the 6-point leveling system, would I be correct in stating that I manually lower only the one jack closest to the flat?
poolbug054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:28 AM   #23

LCI 6 point leveling system can't raise or lower just one jack. Least, mine can't.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:34 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolbug054 View Post
So if I use the 6-point leveling system, would I be correct in stating that I manually lower only the one jack closest to the flat?
Nope. They can work in pairs for manual operation. The front landing jacks, the two driver side rear jacks, the two passenger side rear jacks.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:44 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Nope. They can work in pairs for manual operation. The front landing jacks, the two driver side rear jacks, the two passenger side rear jacks.

Letís say a tire on driver side needs replacing. With TT still connected to TV, do I lower the pair of driver side rear jacks until wheels off the ground?

Or...do I lower all rear jacks until they touch ground, then lower the driver side jacks further until wheels off the ground? Just thinking having both sides lowered will add more stability.

How would you recommend? Thx
poolbug054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:59 AM   #26

Use the auto level feature, but try to do it on level ground so you don't get an out of stroke on one or more jacks. Then do a side to side, raising only the side you're working on. You might have to lower the opposite side a bit, too.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:08 AM   #27

Quote:
Letís say a tire on driver side needs replacing. With TT still connected to TV, do I lower the pair of driver side rear jacks until wheels off the ground?

Or...do I lower all rear jacks until they touch ground, then lower the driver side jacks further until wheels off the ground? Just thinking having both sides lowered will add more stability.

How would you recommend? Thx
When I'm hooked up to the truck, (usually on the side of the road), I just use the two rear jacks on the flat side with 5" of lynx blocks under those jacks.
At home, not hitched to the truck, I will manually ground all the jacks, putting 5" of blocks under the lifting side, and then manually lift that side.
I don't use auto level as that tends to lift both sides a bit and I don't want to raise the other side at all, so I just manually ground them.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:46 AM   #28

easiest tire I ever changed, laid the leveling blocks down drove the good tire on until the offending tire was dangling. No jack, no laying on the ground and trying to center with axle, oh yes, it was raining cats and dogs, so change didn't take long, either.
tonys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 11:36 AM   #29

I bought a Trailer Aid. As a point of caution, I recommend trying the Trailer Aid at home before you need it. I found on my 5th wheel that it wouldn't raise the offending tire quite high enough. I have a 1x 6 that I carry to give me the lift I need. So what ever means you plan to use, try it at home first. JMHO
shadows4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:31 AM   #30
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows4 View Post
I bought a Trailer Aid. As a point of caution, I recommend trying the Trailer Aid at home before you need it. I found on my 5th wheel that it wouldn't raise the offending tire quite high enough. I have a 1x 6 that I carry to give me the lift I need. So what ever means you plan to use, try it at home first. JMHO
I believe the Trailer Aid Plus addresses this issue.
It is higher.

For lightweight, single axle trailers, these work too...
https://www.overtons.com/easy-lift-t...ck-315931.html
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=94
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 04:01 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
I use the Trailer Aid... loosen the offending tires lug nuts, pull or back good tire up on the Trailer Aid, change the tire, tightening lugs, check and secure any loose or torn up stuff from the tire blow, then pull off the Trailer Aid and finish tightening the tire. Don't forget to pick up the Trailer Aid. Drive a few miles then get out and retighten lug nuts.
This is the best and easiest way to change a 5er tire. I am 75 and it took 10 minutes. No crawling under to place a jack.
jayandmarji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:43 PM   #32

Trailer aid

Quote:
What is the best way to change a tire on a 5th wheel? I have a 2020 HATHAWAY 34IK and started thinking about how I would change a tire if it becomes damaged during travel. When I asked dealer if I needed to purchase a bottle jack, he stated that I should use the leveling system to raise the side needing a change. Is anyone using this approach?

I saw a device called a Trailer Aid which does not require a jack. Should I even attempt the change, but call road service instead? Thoughts please....
I bought a Trailer Aid and ended up using it on the way back from vacation. Canadian Tire sells them. I bought mine on Amazon for about 42.00. Beats the hell out of carrying a heavy Jack. I cut a piece of wood about the same length & width of the Trailer Aid as some paved areas are not always straight. This helps get my tire clear the ground!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	72F6CDDD-5239-46C0-846D-8F66AE8839D2.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	206594  
Luisde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:44 PM   #33

I used the Trailer-Aid once in my driveway just for practice. It worked great!
Yowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:53 PM   #34

Pickup bottle jack.
Idcruiserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:57 PM   #35

Tire

A couple of 2 x 6 about 12" long -
Stack them and drive on. Might have an additional one just in case. Loosen lug nuts first.
cadman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:33 PM   #36

Trailer aid rocks! Have used it twice ... no jack needed. Keep it handy ... hope we never need it again!
Npmathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:05 PM   #37
AF CMSGT RET

I think the thing is called a trailer aid but not sure, I have one in my truck box. It basically is a ramp that you pull or back the trailer up on while still hooked to truck which then lifts the flat axle up and you can change the tire. but suggest breaking loose the nuts first or the tire just turns when you try to take off the nuts. works for all y toy trailers but being an older wiser fellow that technique is only used when I an in the toolies other wise I call good sam and have a relax while waiting the 1/2 hour or so for them to show up. I hate flat tires and dead batteries so take VERY good care of both.
pickeljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:53 PM   #38

Quote:
What is the best way to change a tire on a 5th wheel? I have a 2020 HATHAWAY 34IK and started thinking about how I would change a tire if it becomes damaged during travel. When I asked dealer if I needed to purchase a bottle jack, he stated that I should use the leveling system to raise the side needing a change. Is anyone using this approach?

I saw a device called a Trailer Aid which does not require a jack. Should I even attempt the change, but call road service instead? Thoughts please....
If you dry Camp a bottle Jack is a necessity. If not good Sam emergency road service is cheap..... That's what I use.
frankraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:59 PM   #39

The trailer aid is most definitely a must have for most any 2 axle trailer. I actually bought one at tractor supply thats metal itís heavy duty and has a small lip on the bottom that keeps it from sliding on hard surfaces. I keep it in my truck all the time . Iíve never had to use it with my camper I have now but did use it on my old camper it was a 34 ft 5th wheel and it worked great just pull up on it with the good tire and back off when you get it changed . No climbing under the camper it helps to have a spotter to stop you in the right place but Iíve done it alone with my horse trailer no problem. Weight is no problem Iíve used it on a hay trailer loaded with 10 round bales one time . I highly recommend getting one .
Sfgoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:18 AM   #40

Best on Market I think and dual purpose...

Who went in the way before you, to search you out a place to pitch your tents in, in fire by night, to shew you by what way ye should go, and in a cloud by day.

Deuteronomy 1:33
wolfpup64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, tire, wheel