Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2015, 11:45 PM   #1

Changing Tires On 2015 CC CKTS

We just bought a 2015 CC CKTS with of course new tires, I requested that they exchange my current tires on our 2010 CC 36 RE, tire information is:
Current tires are Goodyear 235/85R/16 "G" about year and half old with less than 3000 miles on them. The new RV has 235/85R/16 "G" but are of course the China made tires: Question is should I make them change my tires? I feel I should but would like some input.
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:38 AM   #2

I think you have a great idea. Your trade in gets new rubber and you get better quality tires for your new unit. Do not trust those tires from China. Lots of bad reports all over the camping forums here and elsewhere.
Flintstones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:04 AM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

Maybe not such a good idea. Your have used a full 30% of the usefull lifespan of your GY's. The tread is not the problem, it is the sidewalls. If you have kept your GY's covered when parked, off the ground (some weight relief and on wood) and treated them regularly with 303 protectant, you should be able to yield some advantage in the swap.
Although there is a documented issue with some "China Bombs", that may not include the ones you have. My suggestion is to research the new brand with specificity. If you have treated your GY's well, only travel a few thousand clicks a year and the new rubber has a bad reputation, then swap away. If you rode em hard and put em away wet and the new rubber has a good reputation, a swap may not turn out beneficial.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:07 PM   #4
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
My two cents say to proceed with the changeout. A completely wornout GoodYear, if its a US made one, would be far superior to any new China Bomb in the market place (regardless of brand) today. Either way, only by proper inflation, periodic & proper weighing your RV and preventive maintenance will you realize the full potential of your roundy round things. A good TPMS tells actual inflation pressure & temperature and nitrogen inflation (no moisture-corrosion) will help you achieve long miles on your tires.

Any import company for China Bomb tires has no skin in the game and will simply refer you, the customer, to the manufacture who is located where - in China. Need I say more?

I run GY H117s on 17.5" wheels with no problems at all. That said. . . 1.) I have a TST TPMS system for the TV & RV (10 sensors) that provides temp and pressure, 2.) I inflate tires only with N2, 3.) I double check the tires at each rest stop and 4.) I perform recommended preventive maintenance items not only for the tires but the entire suspension at recommended frequencies.

Travel safe (maintain it) & enjoy your journeys!
Old 03-13-2015, 05:03 PM   #5

It's a no brainier, keep the Goodyears

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:50 PM   #6

Have you looked at the Goodyear tires REAL CLOSE to see where they were made? It will be stamped on the sidewall.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:04 PM   #7

Mine says USA made

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:06 PM   #8

The issue is not WHERE they were made,but HOW they were made. I am sure the GY specs and QC far exceed anything made over there by an outlaw outfit even though they are made in china.Its the same over here,some places build trash w/no qc and as long as people buy it,they continue to do it that way.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires