Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2020, 12:33 PM   #1

Coax question in 2020 Cedar Creek

I recently changed satellite from a Winegard G2 system (separate Coax and Power) to a Winegard Playmaker (has only coax that power runs through). When I changed I had a 2015 Columbus and the Playmaker would lose signal running through the RV. Hooking up direct to Receiver it worked OK. I just switched to a 2020 Cedar Creek 37MBH, Same issue. I understand that the new design of running the power through the Coax needs to have Quad coax instead of the standard Dual. All the research I have done the answer is usual "run the coax through the slide" of "drill a hold to create a direct path to receiver" Well I would rather use the cable installed in the RV. Does anyone know what quality the COAX is running through the Cedar Creek? Dual? Quad? Any other suggestions to fix this? I have searched the internet trying to find the answer? My end user thinking is that if Winegard was going to change the design to run the power through the Coax at least have a conversion with the RV industry to get input since we are the major industry for there product. Any help would be greatly appreciated I do have a call into Forest River for an answer too.
Dlhammbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 12:52 PM   #2

there is no 'special' coax cable required for portable satellite antennas, they all use the standard coax your RV is also wired with - the 'power' is simply provided to/from the Receiver to the Antenna to make it 'move' ...

what you're probably finding is that RV manufacturers use 'splitters' between the outside cable/sat connectors to the entertainment center/tvs, and therefore most 'sat' connections on RVs may not be able to actually be 'used' for that purpose, which is why it's actually just easier to run the coax cable yourself, thru a slide seal, thru an existing opening for other water lines or electrical lines, etc. Unless you are installing your portable antenna on the roof, where the factory has provided a direct coax connection, it's doubtful you can do much other than to 'customize' your portable placement. I would say though, that you could still use the roof pre-installed coax connection, even if you didn't mount your portable on the roof itself. Open the connection on the roof, find the coax to the entertainment center, and run any length coax cable from there to wherever you want to place your portable antenna - even if you use the a/c cowling cover to wrap this coax around for storage/travel, leaving a run back to the rear, at the ladder, for easy access when you arrive and take out your portable.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 12:55 PM   #3

RG6 is what mine is.

I found both ends of mine by color coded. Take plates off and see which color is attached where.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 09:38 PM   #4

Like said ... the RG6 cable in your fiver isn't the issue (going quad won't matter) ... it's the splitters and crappy connectors in each run inside the walls of your fiver that is the culprit. It will be near impossible to eliminate all splitters as you simply can't get to them. Run a dedicated line(s) from your G2 to your TVs. I had the same issue with my Pathway X2 a few years back. I installed a thru the wall coax connector behind the TV in the living room ... no issues after that.

PS Power thru the coax has been around for several years, just not all dishes use it.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 10:00 PM   #5

I have a playmaker for over a year it won't work on more than 50 ft coax i use a 75 ft
peice from dish to receiver would not work.also spent hours trying get it to work on the coax in 5th wheel and gave up.know i have full size dish.
Gmoney67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 06:53 AM   #6

My Cedar Creek has two direct runs (no splitters) from the Wet Panel to the Living Room TV outlet, and to the Bed Room TV outlet. The one in the basement does not have a Sat connection at all. I also have two direct runs on the roof to the same two locations as I have a Roof Sat Antenna and a Portable ground antenna. No issues from either one using the factory connections.

The RG6 cables for the Wet Bay connections are Orange. The Cable in the roof is Purple. The roof cable is a LOOP that you must cut and put connectors on to have the two separate runs to the Living room wall connector and bedroom connector.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:21 AM   #7
clr

My 2015 is wired in the same manner as daycruser! I have three coax connections in the UDC, one is a direct feed to the living room (sat), one is a direct feed to the bedroom (sat), and the third is a feed for the cable TV. They are not well marked in my opinion and it is rather confusing. The satellite coaxs are actually of a different color cable in my unit they are orange. You must know where the power is being feed FROM for your antenna, Many now power the antenna from the actual satellite box, so the box needs to be installed and plugged in to operate. Some satellite boxs do not provide the power directly and you need a power inserter (special cable splitter that will pass power on 1 port) and a power brick that plugs into AC power. The RV power antenna adapter will not pass satellite signals.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 08:27 AM   #8

We have a 2020 38DBRK and use a G2+ and a tailgater. 1 for Livingroom and 1 for bedroom. both hook up at the docking station. You have to really look at your connection points. I had the same issue as you and found out it was me not making the correct connection and not the coaches problem. For the G2+ I would try hooking up the power inverter at the docking station to see if system works. I will say that when they say not to go over x amount of length, don't. I bought 100 feet of quad shield and found system wouldn't work. You can get by with 50 feet but that is max. In actuality you have 50 feet plus 15 to 20 feet inside the rv.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:17 PM   #9

Three basic types of TV coax: RG-59, RG-6 & RG-6 Quad. Primary difference is the amount of shielding with RG-6 Quad being the best. Many satellite issues are caused by splitters between satellite antenna and the receiver.
Navigator = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 03:34 PM   #10

UPDATE

After yesterday determining which coax was the Satelitte coax. Still nothing. I contacted the local DISH service supervisor (family). He came out this morning. He changed the connector at the outside hookup to a better quality. Changed the end on my coax. Still nothing. The playmaker always made a grinding noise when searching. He said it does but he noticed that it seemed excessive. Suggested the unit was bad. I asked lots of question about the KING tailgater. Decided to purchase one. Hooked it up. Worked prefect first time. Thank you everyone for your ideas. Experiences. Being an RV owner a lot of things are just figuring it out and with help. Have a great day. And be safe out there.
Dlhammbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 12:15 AM   #11

I have a 2017 Cedar Creek and had the same problem. I found two plates behind my TV and one had a little power switch for the analog tv antenna on the roof. That one is not connected to the sat connection in the wet bay of my unit. The other plate is connected to the wet bay connector. The wally box connects between the TV and this plate connector. My Playmaker works good with a 100 feet of cable hooked up to the trailer. Good luck
Grumpy7159 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cedar creek