Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2019, 07:36 PM   #21
New to FR. Old to TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
For just a different set of issues
I have an Andersen hitch and never had a problem unhitching even on a hill or at an angle. If on a hill block down side of tires and then truck in neutral till all is still and the parking break, park. release the hitch lock and slowly raise trailer till above hitch
Old 04-08-2019, 07:40 PM   #22
New to FR. Old to TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall frog View Post
I have an Andersen hitch and never had a problem unhitching even on a hill or at an angle. If on a hill block down side of tires and then truck in neutral till all is still and the parking break, park. release the hitch lock and slowly raise trailer till above hitch
Only talked about this as an option the OP may not know about
Old 04-22-2019, 08:40 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
My routine: block trailer tires, put truck in reverse to take pressure off pin, put truck in park & set parking brake, lower landing gear to ground without lifting, unlock hitch, lower landing gear to drive off position. Works every time.
As Telstar stated .... Block back of TT wheels, put truck in reverse putting pressure on rear of hitch/kingpin putting landing gear down to ground but not lifting at all. With 100% pressure off the front of the hitch and kingpin you should not have any issue releasing with the pull handle. If that does not work do everything as described but not putting the truck in park after reverse as sometimes the truck can move slightly forward, just set the parking brake hard or have your better half in the truck with foot on the brake pedal while still in reverse and try pulling the handle. After all that its still a no joy something is wrong with the hitch.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:52 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkochel View Post
As Telstar stated .... Block back of TT wheels, put truck in reverse putting pressure on rear of hitch/kingpin putting landing gear down to ground but not lifting at all. With 100% pressure off the front of the hitch and kingpin you should not have any issue releasing with the pull handle. If that does not work do everything as described but not putting the truck in park after reverse as sometimes the truck can move slightly forward, just set the parking brake hard or have your better half in the truck with foot on the brake pedal while still in reverse and try pulling the handle. After all that its still a no joy something is wrong with the hitch.
I have tried all your suggestions and believe i am glad to get all your feedback but nothing seems to work. I have been able to get someone at park i am at to help me because my husband is unable so the hitch will only release when it is damn good and ready. Excuse my french but this hitch is messed up.
Rogerbab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:23 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerbab View Post
I have tried all your suggestions and believe i am glad to get all your feedback but nothing seems to work. I have been able to get someone at park i am at to help me because my husband is unable so the hitch will only release when it is damn good and ready. Excuse my french but this hitch is messed up.

Take a video with your phone of trying to release the king pin and send it to Rick, he may be able to spot the issue just from seeing the video. That hitch is very simple, I still think the issue is related to the safety interlock. It's not pulling out far enough and releasing the jaws. Do the hitch jaws open and close without the trailer hooked up?
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:15 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycruiser View Post
Take a video with your phone of trying to release the king pin and send it to Rick, he may be able to spot the issue just from seeing the video. That hitch is very simple, I still think the issue is related to the safety interlock. It's not pulling out far enough and releasing the jaws. Do the hitch jaws open and close without the trailer hooked up?
Yes but really hard like when hitched to trailer. I have been in contact with Rick since day one and no help to put it nicely.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:22 AM   #27

Does your trailer have a remote? I have learned to use the remote to raise and lower the trailer while I'm hooking up, or unhooking. That way I can adjust a little at a time up or down while driving. I admit, from the drivers seat it's almost too far away to work, you have to hold it 'just so'. But it helps.

Short of that, maybe have someone else sit in truck and you stand and watch exactly what the truck, the hitch, and the trailer are all doing, in very small increments, until you sort of figure out the 'sweet spot' where it connects right, or comes apart easily.

It's a challenge, I admit. Many times, I fuss at myself for not knowing the exact time that it frees itself so I can unhook. Get out of truck, take a look, get back in, try again, yes it's a mess.

If someone experienced is close to you, see if they can help.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:54 AM   #28
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I still have to believe it is something you are missing and it is likely very simple.

Several things to keep in mind about the Comfort Ride hitch... the locking jaws are wider than most hitches leaving little slop around the pin's diameter but more importantly, little room in the pin's indent from top to bottom... meaning that if you raise the front of the R/V even slightly too high, (or not high enough) you will bind the jaws to the pin.

To add to that dilemma, the cushioning air cells apply upwards pressure as you are raising the R/V until just at the point the plate lifts from the hitch head.

These two things leave little room for error unhitching.

I think you are going to need to be cautious of how you are raising the R/V until you find YOUR sweet spot. That, or you truly have a malfunctioning hitch.

I don't have a Comfort Ride but thought seriously about buying one and spent time, on several long phone conversations, speaking with Rick Olson. He is very knowledgeable, knows his hitches to a tee and I'm not sure why he hasn't been able to help.

Best of luck to you. R/Ving shouldn't be so frustrating.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:23 AM   #29

Sorry I am late to this conversation and I may not be able to add much other than what has already been stated! But my question to you is, have you watched the instructional video on the hitch as how to hitch and unhitch? If not here is a link to the video this may help you? If you have, then maybe watching this video again may help you with operating the hitch without any difficulties.

Hook & Unhook your 5th Wheel Hitch

Also, what type of pin box do you have on your trailer? This maybe an issue also? Just another area to look at.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:40 AM   #30
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkochel View Post

If that does not work do everything as described but not putting the truck in park after reverse as sometimes the truck can move slightly forward, just set the parking brake hard or have your better half in the truck with foot on the brake pedal while still in reverse and try pulling the handle.
Easier yet...

Keep your foot on the brake, set the parking brake...then put the truck in park...then get out and pull the handle.

The truck will not move.

Does the same thing without all of that hassle!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:27 PM   #31

Quote:
Yes but really hard like when hitched to trailer. I have been in contact with Rick since day one and no help to put it nicely.

Ok, there is a cam that opens and closes the jaws and keeps them closed when the arm is forward. Have you had the hitch lubricated? The cam must be kept clean and lubricated with lithium grease along with the interlock parts. If you can't do this yourself have a trailer repair place or an independent rv dealer do it. That hitch is not complicated, in fact it's very simple the way it works. I have no idea why Rick can't seem to help you.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:48 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycruiser View Post
Ok, there is a cam that opens and closes the jaws and keeps them closed when the arm is forward. Have you had the hitch lubricated? The cam must be kept clean and lubricated with lithium grease along with the interlock parts. If you can't do this yourself have a trailer repair place or an independent rv dealer do it. That hitch is not complicated, in fact it's very simple the way it works. I have no idea why Rick can't seem to help you.
I thought this hitch was lube free. The manual i got said no maintenance required. Why wasnt this told to me. I will tey to lube the cam this weekend and see if it works. Thanks for the info
Old 04-25-2019, 04:27 AM   #33

Quote:
I thought this hitch was lube free. The manual i got said no maintenance required. Why wasnt this told to me. I will tey to lube the cam this weekend and see if it works. Thanks for the info

If your hitch is exposed to the elements they all need lubrication as they will collect dirt and other nice things to bind them up. cleaning them up and some fresh grease in the right places will usually help. Mine is covered whenever not in use so it doesn't require maintenance nearly as often.

Tags
hitch