Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2018, 10:55 AM   #1

Condensation in closets

I have a 2017 Cottage that is parked under a roof. I have found that when the heat is on I get moisture on the rear walls of the closets that are located on the outside walls of the camper. We are already finding mold on the walls that are involved. If I leave the closet doors open there does not seem to be as much moisture. I think it is obvious that the insulation in the exterior walls is not sufficient to prevent this condition. I am interested in hearing from anyone else who is having a similar problem and if they have found a remedy. Thanks for imput.
Mike6928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:17 PM   #2
Trailer Park Supervisor

I think you already found your solution, keep those doors open when it is vacant. Also, I just ordered a 30 pint dehumidifier to keep in mine, works down to 41 deg. Condensation issues are related to inside humidity vs. outside temps. There are tables that relate the two, and are handy for controlling the humidity inside your house, as well as your house on wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aprilaire_humidistat_manual_vs_automatic_r4_c2.gif
Views:	189
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	190567  
Old 11-02-2018, 01:20 PM   #3
Trailer Park Supervisor

That chart is assuming normal room temperature indoors. If it's colder in the vehicle, the relative difference between outside and inside temperature will make less of a difference.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike6928 View Post
I have a 2017 Cottage that is parked under a roof. I have found that when the heat is on I get moisture on the rear walls of the closets that are located on the outside walls of the camper. We are already finding mold on the walls that are involved. If I leave the closet doors open there does not seem to be as much moisture. I think it is obvious that the insulation in the exterior walls is not sufficient to prevent this condition. I am interested in hearing from anyone else who is having a similar problem and if they have found a remedy. Thanks for imput.
This is a major issue on boats too. The last boat I owned had vent's at bottom and top of closet and cabinet doors so air freely circulated through them.

You might consider adding louvered vents at top and bottom of cabinet doors. Check out marine supply outlets as they carry a wide variety. Here's one example:

https://newcontent.westmarine.com/co...734026_LRG.jpg

If you don't want to put in a metal vent, one could simply remove the door and with a Forstner Bit, drill a line of holes at bottom and top of the door. The Forstner Bit creates a really "clean" hole with no splintering.

This also would help with under sink doors as well as any that cover the water pump and filter during winter months.

Mold, Mildew, and Dry Rot are constant companions to boat owners. Other than the fact they don't float on water, RV's are subject to the same issues caused by dampness.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:06 PM   #5

I appreciate the replies to my post. We purchased this unit, in large part, due to its looks. By leaving the doors open it defeats the ascetic value. I agree that installing vents in the doors will have a positive effect on the problem but due to the size of some of the closets I do not think that it will eliminate all of the moisture. This is our third RV, Yellowstone and Coachman, and the first with this problem. This is a design flaw. This unit cannot be moved easily and the dealer is 250 miles away. I was hoping that there was a factory fix that someone may be familiar with.
Mike6928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:54 PM   #6

I do not believe that you will convince anyone that condensation is a design flaw.
We winter in Florida in a Cedar Creek and have always run a dehumidifier and fans to eliminate the condensation. You will have to do something similar to help yourself.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote