Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2019, 11:40 AM   #1

Condo living

I have a 34 foot Cedar Creek 29RE, we are thinking about moving to a Condo and all that we have looked at are short driveways that the trailer would not fit into.
Does anyone live in a Condo and if so how to you prepare for travel, maintenence and winterizing?
bunkey63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:54 AM   #2

most condo associations are going to have strict rules about rv's being parked on property. Good luck finding one with the room and neighbors who aren't going to be filing complaints.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkey63 View Post
I have a 34 foot Cedar Creek 29RE, we are thinking about moving to a Condo and all that we have looked at are short driveways that the trailer would not fit into.

Does anyone live in a Condo and if so how to you prepare for travel, maintenence and winterizing?
Most Condos don't allow that with the HOA they only give you like 48 hrs at your condo to load or unload. That has been my experience with HOA's.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:09 PM   #4

Although condos don’t allow RVs like previous posts stated, some have a storage yard for them. I would look for that type of condo. Otherwise you can just rent storage. It’s my understanding that their are some condos geared toward your life style so you should be able to find a workable solution

Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:10 PM   #5

Several of the condo's in our area won't let you leave your car parked in the driveway let alone any type of a trailer. It has to be overnighted in your garage. Another oddity is you can't put your trash out the night before pickup … you have to drag the dumpster to the curb morning of. So like said, do your homework on condo regulations before you decide doing yardwork is just too much.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:09 PM   #6

It’s not JUST condos. I live in St Johns County, FL. I can only park my fiver out front to load /unload....maybe light work for a few hours. That would not include like wheel bearing service, etc. I was fortunate to find a storage area 8 miles from home. Even there, permission is required for anything exterior except cleaning and caulking stuff like that.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:19 PM   #7
Retired Old Fart

And that is why I will never live in a subdivision/condo with a HOA. Last thing I want is for yet another person telling me how to live my life and spend my money.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
And that is why I will never live in a subdivision/condo with a HOA. Last thing I want is for yet another person telling me how to live my life and spend my money.

Ya got that right!
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:30 AM   #9

Co-worker only had 24hrs to do anything on his 5ver by his HOA rules...so you know what he did ??? He moved to a better place that didn't have an HOA and now he has a nice gravel spot he can park his 5ver on and do whatever he wants with it.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:24 AM   #10
Canadian Member

I keep seeing this HOA thing down there. Never heard of that up here. We have condo apartment buildings and condo townhouses. Neither would provide a space large enough to park a TT or 5er so that’s not even an option. If you live in a condo up here, you have to find trailer storage somewhere else.

I’m in a house but I can’t park my trailer in the driveway or on the street where I live. There just isn’t enough space for the combo to park anywhere. I’m fortunate to be able to store my trailer at my cousin’s farm about 15 minutes away where I have access to a 15A electrical service and water although both are a distance away from where I park it. I have to use over 75’ of extension cord and 2 water hoses, but it works. I just have to plan for any tools and supplies I need when working on it at the farm or I’ll be making a trip back home to get what I forgot.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:47 AM   #11

I just dont like HOA's period. Never liked the idea of someone else dictating what I can and cant do on my own property within the confines of the law. Couldn't see myself ever living in one.
My dad lives in a new addition outside of town withan HOA. All newer housing and nothing under about 3000 sq ft. He had to go through them for approval to build a new detached garage. His lot was twice the size of most of those surrounding his so he had plenty of space for it. They denied it simply because he already had an existing attached garage. A couple of years later, a small lot adjacent to his came up for sale. He checked into it and it was not included in his HOA. Not sure why. Im guessing because it didn't have any structures already on it? So anyway, he bought it and built his new garage there. About 20 yards to the west of where he was originally planning to build it.
Finster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:00 AM   #12

My next door neighbor built a horse stable on the property line not fifty feet from my kitchen. It sure would be nice if there was a few rules in the county I live in. It’s also the hog capital of the world. Then my neighbor got rid of the horses and put dogs in. Not one thing could we do. Finally neighbor moved to another school district, he had a daughter that was difficult in school. Rented the house out, no problems with the different renters.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:11 AM   #13

Quote:
...all that we have looked at are short driveways that the trailer would not fit into.
We don't live in a condo, but do have a driveway to short and steep for the trailer.

For traveling, we have to load the car/truck and drive to the trailer to load it.
To stock the pantry, we usually stop at a grocery on the way. We start the refrigerator the night before on propane so that it's cold.
For maintenance, we either take supplies to the trailer and work on it in storage (we have an electric hookup), use our mobile mechanic, or use a local campground that allows us to wash the rig.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:14 AM   #14
Gold Tee Box

Quote:
We've also thought about doing something similar, downgrade to a condo life, but have the same concerns. I would want a Condo with at least a 3 car garage, plus RV parking, and they just don't make them.

I want my RV parked at home, plugged into shore power, not in a storage lot.

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:45 AM   #15

I agree with the poster above that states that some condo complex have a storage area. I have even seen some that the storage area has some limited hook ups (Elec/water).
Typically, you get what you pay for in higher HOA fee for more services.
Always be mindful that todays rules can be changed in a community.
I live in a residential bedroom city that for years has allowance for RV on your residential lot from May to November. Camper must fit on your lot and not create an eyesore of block sidewalks or block line of sight on lots at intersections.
Sad part is our weak Mayor was listening to violations of these rules and instead of enforcing the rules (did not want to be bad guy) decided to punish all by not allowing any campers on personnel residence lots without prior written approval. Even with approval you were only allowed short load/unload visits.
Well, long story short the weak Mayor is gone and existing rules became enforced and problem solved.
I would see about local storage lots and their amenities.
Mule
Muletrain is offline   Reply With Quote