Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2016, 09:59 AM   #1

Couch and Recliner Swap???

Seriously considering a 34RL.......was close on a Silverback 33IK but appreciate the upgrade to CC quality and features.

One question I can't figure out totally. I don't like the layout in the 34RL (or 34RE either) where the recliners are to the 'side' of the TV and the couch is directly across. I asked why I can't just switch them, and was told that the couch is too deep to go in the end and the slides would not go in with the couch there.

SO.......why does it have to be THAT couch? Sales guy said it'd have to be 30" deep or less. I NEED the functionality of a sleeper-couch, but 30" is probably too shallow to find such a couch.

My other thought is......."Why not a swing arm on the TV?"

Anyone else have this issue? How did you solve? Is it hard to see TV from 'the side'???

Thanks.

Bill
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:25 AM   #2

Yes, solved it by buying a 33IK, Love it. Plus it is a CC...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:07 AM   #3

I have 32RL with the couch at the rear and I went and measured it and the couch was 36in. Are you looking at buying a Cedar Creek?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:44 AM   #4

Yes. 2016 CC 34RL....... I asked sales guy if the two could be switched and he said no, said if the couch is in the end, the slides won't close.

I figured there had to be a reason the two are offset from the TV. I guess this is where they cut the length to make this trailer so short.

I am HOPING a TV swing arm will fix it.........but I still would like to hear from someone who has the setup where the recliners are side from the TV, and not directly across, and what they think of it.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:43 PM   #5
SnP

We have the CC 34RLSA, with the same seating setup. We didn't need the sofa/sleeper and chose to swap the couch for theater seating. That way we have theater recliners across from tv. Still have the regular recliners on back wall. Another issue with the recliners, is that they have to be turned sideways and placed along the back wall on the passenger side to close the slides. Kind of a hassle to mess with each time you setup or tear down to leave. We love it otherwise. But our next RV will not have this setup. We do like the CC 36CKTS, which has the recliners across from the tv and the couch on the back wall. According to CC it is their best seller.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do.
Camped - 2014-47, 2015-104, 2016-100, 2017-161, 2018-94
SnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:47 PM   #6

And more expensive and bigger and harder to haul.........

sigh

thanks man. I was afraid I wouldn't like that side seating.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Seriously considering a 34RL.......was close on a Silverback 33IK but appreciate the upgrade to CC quality and features.

One question I can't figure out totally. I don't like the layout in the 34RL (or 34RE either) where the recliners are to the 'side' of the TV and the couch is directly across. I asked why I can't just switch them, and was told that the couch is too deep to go in the end and the slides would not go in with the couch there.

SO.......why does it have to be THAT couch? Sales guy said it'd have to be 30" deep or less. I NEED the functionality of a sleeper-couch, but 30" is probably too shallow to find such a couch.

My other thought is......."Why not a swing arm on the TV?"

Anyone else have this issue? How did you solve? Is it hard to see TV from 'the side'???

Thanks.

Bill
We have a 2016 34RL. The dining room slide is too long and will rub the couch. We tried to order the Theater seating and have the couch change places, would not work. I had the factory call and inform me of this.

We installed a swing arm from MORyde part number TV1-006 and we needed to added a larger support plate on the TV for a 400mm mount from MORyde part number 24-0113-TV1-008. I purchased these from TVformyRV. A very help company who are a sponsor on IVR2 web site.

mor
Old 02-04-2016, 02:13 PM   #8

We went the 33IK as well. Very satisfied with the quality of what forest river does, not so much of some 3rd party items, but that is a differs post that is coming soon. Anyways we have the sleeper sofa and have had 2 occasions where the end cushion closest to the table slide has gotten caught in the slide luckily I have noticed it before any damage. We now remove the cushion. Even with the sofa pushed as tight as possible it still occurred.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:25 PM   #9

swapping furniture

We had the same problem of having to rotate recliners to close our slide on our first 5th wheel. That was one of the items on my list not to have on next trailer. We bought a 2015 Phoenix 32re that we do not have to rearrange furniture to close the slide and theater seating across from TV. Those were just 2 of 5 things the new trailer had to have. I am getting to old to think about a 3rd trailer but if there is one, I am starting another list of what it must have.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
We have a 2016 34RL. The dining room slide is too long and will rub the couch. We tried to order the Theater seating and have the couch change places, would not work. I had the factory call and inform me of this.

We installed a swing arm from MORyde part number TV1-006 and we needed to added a larger support plate on the TV for a 400mm mount from MORyde part number 24-0113-TV1-008. I purchased these from TVformyRV. A very help company who are a sponsor on IVR2 web site.

mor
So, how do you like the 'side viewing' of the TV? Did the swing arm fix the problem? Or do you wish you had the model with direct TV viewing? This seems small, but man...........it may be down to this on our decision.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:28 PM   #11

We have the lazy boy theatre seating, and they are on the side. I sit in one all the time and have no problem at all seeing the TV. We thought we eould, but it's a non issue. We pull them out a little, that's all you need to do.
nikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:07 PM   #12

Quote:
So, how do you like the 'side viewing' of the TV? Did the swing arm fix the problem? Or do you wish you had the model with direct TV viewing? This seems small, but man...........it may be down to this on our decision.
Yes, we need to turn the chairs a little and we can watch the TV straight on than.

I do not like the 34RE arrangement from the photos I have seen on line. For one I do not like the window behind the TV and you can get sunlight glare during the day. I also think that the raising and lowering of the TV over time will take a toll on the cable system. Also no cabinet selves on the both side of the TV as the 34RL has.

I also do not know if a sleeper couch is available with the 34RE and we need one when we take the grandkids with us for a week or so.

I am glad that I installed the swing arm for the TV as this allows us to move the TV in the morning. We can swing the TV for better viewing when we are at the table drinking coffee. I like to watch the news and weather before heading out for the day.

This is something Forest River should offer as an attachment on their 34RL Cedar Creek. If you decide to go this way PM me and I will furnish information on how I installed the swing arm.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:19 PM   #13

Crazy.........but we're now down to deciding between 34RL and 36CKTS and the SOLE difference that seems to matter is the arrangement of the recliners and couch.

I'm afraid we're going to end up a) spending more money, b) getting a heavier trailer, and c) with far less cargo capacity.....simply so we can sit directly across from the TV!

Also, the 36CKTS has a 'lift' TV so there's no chance at all to ever put in a swing arm on that one.

But still, I don't want a crick in my neck every night!
Old 02-05-2016, 07:08 AM   #14

Here's a real experience for you. Each of us is built differently. Me, my NECK ACHES LIKE H..L when twisted to watch tv. I traded our 2011 Keystone 36 ft front bunkhouse 5er for the 2015 Silverback 33rl for THAT VERY REASON. Happy and not looking back! Go from recliner at home to recliner in Silverback. HAPPY CAMPER!
On the Keystone Outback I even changed the recliner FROM an INCLINER TO A LAZYBOY RECLINER just to relieve the pain. It transferred the pain from my neck to my butt! Yes, moving that darned recliner was a PAIN 😂.
Do not let little things stand in your way of personal comfort! You will be looking for a new rv before you know it!!
And yes, CC has some upgraded appointments over Silverback BUT THEY ARE BUILT ON THE SAME LINE BY THE SAME PEOPLE. Ensure you get an upgraded PIN BOX. My TrailAir with inflatable donut, NO CHUCKING AND NOTHING MOVES INSIDE! FORGOT A GLASS COFFEE POT IN THE COUNTER AND AFTER 250 miles, never moved! I would NEVER buy a unit again that does not have the refer accessible without putting the kitchen slide even partially out. We picnic while travel and it is dangerous to be out there even partially.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:03 AM   #15

I like the 36CKTS, I know it's a bigger camper than what I have but the basement is huge, there is much more cabinet space, you can get to the refrigerator with the slides in. I can put a bigger tv in, I want a 55 inch. There is more room in the bedroom, I like the bathroom. If I could do it over or when I get more equity in this camper I'll look for a 36CKTS. I plan to take one recliner out and replace it with one I have at home, its bigger and sits a lot better.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:14 AM   #16

Everything leads to CKTS and straight on viewing.........

EXCEPT

CKTS is 3 danged feet longer than the 34RL, that much more to pull, and a full 1,000 LESS cargo capacity
Old 02-05-2016, 09:44 AM   #17

Quote:
Everything leads to CKTS and straight on viewing.........

EXCEPT

CKTS is 3 danged feet longer than the 34RL, that much more to pull, and a full 1,000 LESS cargo capacity

I don't want to start anything or get off your thread but I bet the tires that come on the 36CKTS has a lot to do with how much weight you can haul. I would bet that with 17.5 H rated tires you can haul more weight. But you are right it's longer. It's 5ft longer than my 32RL, I have found that if a space will take a 35ft one it will take a 40ft one. If the 34 is 37ft then it won't matter.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:50 AM   #18

I bet you're right.......and tires is a big issue, and I Have another thread going on it. CC factory is supposed to be contacting me directly on that subject!

However, I'm not sure I WANT that much more length and weight. I'm going from a 29 foot bumper pull to this. The wife thinks "layout, layout, layout" It's important to me too but I gotta pull this thing over hill and dale and the whole U.S.A., and I gotta back it into spots, and I don't want anymore back there than I absolutely have to have.....and pay more to do it!!

I'm afraid it's gonna boil down to the wife wanting the bigger one, and me wanting the smaller one and getting a TV swing arm.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:54 AM   #19

And Mel, both the issues above have proponents and opponents even here.

Folks scream at the chinese tires. Others say that they have no problem.

Folks tell me they can see the TV from the side just fine, others say they bought a trailer just to avoid that!

And I'm not buying local, so I've 'worn out my welcome' at the local dealer to go look at them every time he gets a new one in. He knows I'm buying where it's $20K cheaper, so he's tired of letting me touch and feel. This makes these decisions harder, and I'm leaning on you guys a LOT.

Thanks!

Bill
Old 02-05-2016, 10:32 AM   #20

We have the 33IK and really like it. The Silverbacks and Cedar Creeks share the same frame, sidewalls, level-up, furniture, appliances, and A/C. The eye candy, more real wood, 8 lug wheels, and larger pass thru storage is the difference. It wasn't enough difference to justifiy the price and not so appealing floor plans in the 35' - 37' sizes. The theater seating straight across from the TV is great as is the ability to get to the fridge without opening the slides. There is interior storage out the wazoo. I placed the spare under the rear frame like the CC's so that opened up more storage in the front as well.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote