Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2014, 11:49 PM   #1
Teejay

covers

wanted to cover my new 5th wheel but didn't get it back in time from dealer and now can't get warm enough day to get all the frost off before covering.don't want to get any mildew or mold under the cover over the winter. guess i'll just leave it off for this yr. Just looking for some thoughts on covers in these harsh alberta winters. good idea or bad as i've read mixed reviews.

Teejay
Teejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:57 AM   #2

I have never used one mostly out of fear that the wind blowing on the cover would cause more damage than not having a cover on it. Not sure how windy it is were you are but I usually have to replace one or two shingles on our house every year.

Tim
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:10 AM   #3

Had a cover, used it one year.
The wind beating on it took off the finish on the edges of the corner moldings..
Craig's list!!!!
kinzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:27 AM   #4

I have covered all my trailers. My last trailer I had for 9 years and the exterior looked like new. You do need to cover the gutters and any sharp edges with something, I use foam pipe insulation. You need to also keep the cover tight so it does not move. I have covered my current trailer for over 3 years. I buy the cheapest cover I can find because they all will all rip. I spend about $300 on a cover that last me about 9 years, with some rips. I strongly recommend a cover. If you can keep your decals, roof and other components not exposed to the sun and weather for 5 months out of the year, Nov-Mar for us, it is well worth it.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:51 AM   #5

Waste of money IMHO. Put one on a few years ago. It lasted all of three weeks in the gorge winds. Cut it up and put it in the garbage. Worst money I ever spent.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:23 PM   #6

We have our rig covered and it has been covered each winter for the last 3 years. No problems with cover in our wind and heavy snow.
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:44 PM   #7
WFD

Manitoba winter here....so I am sure it's just as harsh and perhaps more that Alberta's.....never covered mine...afraid there is more risk of having damage done with a cover than without. I wax the trailer in the fall before storing and again in the spring once it warms up and is out of storage. I check up on ours a couple times through the winter where it is stored and there never seems to be much of anything on it. I think our winds take care of blowing any accumulated snow off, the accumulation is always pretty light...The chaffing and rubbing would be a concern to me.

Tags
cover