Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2015, 07:05 PM   #1
Utah Kid

Creaking vents - Hot lights

I have a new Cedar Creek fiver which has creaking in the AC air vents. It does it anytime the AC is running or just air is flowing through. The funny thing is it's only in the back near the rear AC. The front AC is doing the same thing, but only in the same rear vents. Anybody have the same problem?

Another question, I read about people saying the overhead lights are hot, I also thought F.R. stated in their adds that they are suppose to be a much cooler light. Well, the ones I have are hot also, all of them. Seems something is wrong here. I do know I had porcelain puck lights in my last RV and they were much cooler.

Thanks

GD
Roncross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:38 PM   #2

My CC is a 2012 model and all of the lights were incandescent light bulbs. They produced a bunch of heat. I switched them all out for LED lamps. No more heat and they don't use as much power. Win-win!
What year model is your CC?

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:33 PM   #3
Site Team

I believe the new CC uses led light modules in the ceiling lights based on several reports here ( search melted lights) the LED drivers (not the LEDs themselves) are either poor quality or undersized and they get very hot and have melted the lens. If you have these lights you should contact FR and insist they replace them.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:44 PM   #4

Flybob is right ... at least the 2015's and newer have round LED's that run extremely hot (actually the circuit board the LED's are imbedded in). I'd keep an eye on them and not leave them on if you leave the fiver. So ar all I've got is replacements for burnt up wiring on the circuit board or melted lenses. My A/C had more of a vibrating or growling sound near the rear ducts. I ended up taking the screws out of the base of the unit on the roof, tilting it over, and looking inside the ductwork. Wires laying everywhere. I wire tied them up off the duct floor, replaced the screws and bonnet ... no more noise. 2016 Silverback
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:34 AM   #5

I have replaced all lights in my 2015 36CKTS. Picked the up up the first week in February and by the end of February the lights were failing. CC sent me new ones and said it was a bad batch.

Rick & Cindy
2015 Cedar Creek 36 CKTS
2015 Ford F-350 DRW
2003 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic

2016 Ford F350 DRW
2016 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic Low
rick03hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:59 PM   #6

Have any of you looked to see if the insulation in the ceiling is on the lights holding in the heat. Also several of the luxury line coaches are now putting a couple pipe vents in the roof near the top of the rise to vent the "attic" area of heat and help vent out any moisture from cold air going through the AC ducts. Even though they are thin aluminum covered Styrofoam the will condensate on extreme weather days. I have felt the moisture on the vents after a customer was complaining of drips.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:02 PM   #7

Lights burning up!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roncross View Post
I have a new Cedar Creek fiver which has creaking in the AC air vents. It does it anytime the AC is running or just air is flowing through. The funny thing is it's only in the back near the rear AC. The front AC is doing the same thing, but only in the same rear vents. Anybody have the same problem?

Another question, I read about people saying the overhead lights are hot, I also thought F.R. stated in their adds that they are suppose to be a much cooler light. Well, the ones I have are hot also, all of them. Seems something is wrong here. I do know I had porcelain puck lights in my last RV and they were much cooler.

Thanks

GD
Anyone who has the "Puck" lights are not just hot, they are WAY to hot to touch without burning your hand, and this is because they are Halogen lights" not incandesant bulbs Both are hot but the halogen could cook and egg!

I like so many for the heat issue, the power issue, the cooling issue from the lights, and the power bill ( I am seasonal) I went to LED years ago, I also purchased them direct and saved a ton of money all the way around. And now the halogens are all Led and are cool to the touch.

As for the AC issue all I can think of (I do not own a new CC, but they went to a full return style ac system a couple of years ago, and it should like you are hearing the vent system filling with air, to provide the system with all the benefits of a full return system.
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:57 PM   #8

Regarding the creaking of the vents? We had the same noise. Removed the vent grills and found several pieces of broken styrofoam insulation sticking up in the vents, most I Could reach and tape down but, there was one that was past my reach I took a coat hanger and got it to come loose. Now no noise.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:58 PM   #9

With our new 2016 Silverback 29RE I've noticed the LED lights that have the push button On-Off switch are warmer than the wall switched puck ceiling lights. Keeping an eye on the push button units 😳
jaygeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:43 AM   #10

I agree ... all my LED ceiling light circuit boards run hot, but the pushbutton LED's run noticably hotter. We don't use the push button ones unless we just have to after 4 of mine (so far) have either shorted out or melted the lenses. I've talked at length with the warranty reps at Forest River and sent photos of my burnt up lights, but all the light manufacturer is willing to do so far is keep sending me relpacements. I beg to differ with silverback 35TS ... 2015 and 2016 units have LED ceiling lights not "halogen".
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:26 AM   #11

We have a new 2016 CC34RL; but I have never notice that the LED lights to run hot. But we do not leave them on for long either. I usually have the two lights on over the center counter and the two LED over the recliners, the rest are off. We also have a table lamp between the recliners that has a led lamp in it and this is on also at night for reading.

When we go to bed every light is off and the camper is really dark my DW wants it that way. Even the light in the entertainment center is off and the microwave clock is cover so no light is emitted.

Tags
light, vent