Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2015, 10:30 AM   #1

DEF fluid

I need to know from someone that has a diesel truck, do you ever buy DEF fluid at truck stops, from a nozzle? I buy it in 2 1/2 gal containers but I live close to a truck stop and I was just wondering. Out of a nozzle is cheaper

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:40 AM   #2

Out of nozzle is cheaper but I find it to be more of a hassle. My credit card will not work at the pump... so I have to take it in, go out and pump, and go back in to complete the sale. My truck seems to be pretty frugal with DEF unless I'm pulling. The 2.5 gallon jugs are not that much more expensive, and I use one every 3 - 5 months... low hassle... $13- or so. It would be nice if some of the auto-diesel stations would put DEF dispensing pumps adjacent to their diesel pumps. It's here to stay, so it makes sense.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:41 AM   #3
Who Dares, Wins

I've been wondering g the same thing recently. Che y will top it off for the next 24,000 miles but I was thinking of just picking up a 2.5 gallon can for backup next time we hit a truck stop while out towing. I am only at 4000 miles so I am still curious how far I'll get on the 5 GallonS of def.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:02 PM   #4

Good question and responses. DEF is a lot cheaper at the pump such as at Flying J Pilot centers. Simply(Spock123) get an RV PLUS charge card for any Pilot travel center(must be a member of the Good Sam club) and you will get an appreciable discount of around 6 cents less than the posted price at the pump. Just used it for the first time and was no hassle...stick the card in once, as per usual, choose your delivery (diesel or DEF), and
fill 'er up. Receipt ejects there and you don't go inside unless you want too. NOTE: the
DEF nozzle is usually under a separate, well marked "box" on the left side of the pump so that you don't mistakenly confuse the nozzles into the wrong tank (horrors!) which nozzle-size wise is still pretty hard to do...but I'm sure somebody could prove me wrong on this one...

The only hassle I have on my 2011 is that the DEF is on the opposite side of the diesel fill and I have to go in against the flow to fill that up. Luckily my 8-gal. tank will last
for around 7-8,000 miles before I have to fill again as per the warning message on my
instr. panel. I know that on the newer Solera's the tank is much smaller (3.5 gal?) and
fillable via the engine side. I like the bigger 8-gal idea, actually. Yea, I also carry the
2.5 gallon backup DEF (cheapest at Walmart btw...) just in case until I get into the fill
"routine" grove...have only had her out a few times and most recently on a 1200 mile
trip to the East coast. -PB

PS: Customer Srvc # for the RV Plus card is 1-855-478-7587 in case you are
so motivated? And NO(!)...I DO NOT work for G.S. or Pilot!!
Pixelbum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:32 PM   #5

OK please allow me to throw a fly into the ointment...

My Chevy truck service manager (I'm still under warranty) says NEVER use the DEF from the truck stop nozzle!! He says they have had several cases where that was done and it ruined the truck engine, costing many dollars to repair. So I follow his advice and buy it in the 2 1/2 gallon container, either from the dealer (most expensive) or a truck stop or Wally World. You just need to check the container to be sure you are getting the right spec number. I seen a few labels that had some strange spec numbers on them. Don't recall the spec but it can be found in the truck diesel manual. I did not have the time to discuss with him the exact damage that was done in the cases he spoke of. I will do that the next time I see him. He is an experienced diesel guy.

Maybe I'm too cautious, but better safe than sorry. Also, I have the same problem with the refill spout being on the opposite side from the diesel intakes for both my OEM tank and my aux tank. Too much trouble to pull out and circle around to get in the slot backward. Since I refuel mostly at truck stops at the truck pumps, that maneuver would be pretty difficult as you would be going against the trucker flow. Most of those pumps are pretty busy and it might cause some consternation from the OTR drivers.
2013 Chevy 3500HD, D/A, DRW, 4X4
WeRCreekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:52 PM   #6
Dad of 2 teenagers...

I wouldn't have any problems filling up my DEF at a truck stop. As for related engine trouble, I might be missing something but to my knowledge, DEF is injected into the exhaust, not the engine so I can't see how that would damage anything unless you put DEF in your diesel tank.

Also, DEF is DEF. The ISO specs are the same for all versions/labeling that you would find out there. Diesel quality is another story...
2015 Wildwood 261BHXL
2010 Mercedes-Benz ML350 Bluetec
ProPride 3P Hitch
BobBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelbum1 View Post
Good question and responses. DEF is a lot cheaper at the pump such as at Flying J Pilot centers. Simply(Spock123) get an RV PLUS charge card for any Pilot travel center(must be a member of the Good Sam club) and you will get an appreciable discount of around 6 cents less than the posted price at the pump. Just used it for the first time and was no hassle...stick the card in once, as per usual, choose your delivery (diesel or DEF), and
fill 'er up. Receipt ejects there and you don't go inside unless you want too. NOTE: the
DEF nozzle is usually under a separate, well marked "box" on the left side of the pump so that you don't mistakenly confuse the nozzles into the wrong tank (horrors!) which nozzle-size wise is still pretty hard to do...but I'm sure somebody could prove me wrong on this one...

The only hassle I have on my 2011 is that the DEF is on the opposite side of the diesel fill and I have to go in against the flow to fill that up. Luckily my 8-gal. tank will last
for around 7-8,000 miles before I have to fill again as per the warning message on my
instr. panel. I know that on the newer Solera's the tank is much smaller (3.5 gal?) and
fillable via the engine side. I like the bigger 8-gal idea, actually. Yea, I also carry the
2.5 gallon backup DEF (cheapest at Walmart btw...) just in case until I get into the fill
"routine" grove...have only had her out a few times and most recently on a 1200 mile
trip to the East coast. -PB

PS: Customer Srvc # for the RV Plus card is 1-855-478-7587 in case you are
so motivated? And NO(!)...I DO NOT work for G.S. or Pilot!!

Think your truck is bad, a Silverado fill is under the hood and you have to hold the 2 1/2 container up, Chevy makes it hard. I have a plus card but I doubt if I'll ever use it, my card gets five percent off. But thanks for the tip

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRCreekers View Post

My Chevy truck service manager (I'm still under warranty) says NEVER use the DEF from the truck stop nozzle!! He says they have had several cases where that was done and it ruined the truck engine, costing many dollars to repair. So I follow his advice and buy it in the 2 1/2 gallon container, either from the dealer (most expensive) or a truck stop or Wally World. You just need to check the container to be sure you are getting the right spec number. I seen a few labels that had some strange spec numbers on them. Don't recall the spec but it can be found in the truck diesel manual. I did not have the time to discuss with him the exact damage that was done in the cases he spoke of. I will do that the next time I see him. He is an experienced diesel guy.

Maybe I'm too cautious, but better safe than sorry. Also, I have the same problem with the refill spout being on the opposite side from the diesel intakes for both my OEM tank and my aux tank. Too much trouble to pull out and circle around to get in the slot backward. Since I refuel mostly at truck stops at the truck pumps, that maneuver would be pretty difficult as you would be going against the trucker flow. Most of those pumps are pretty busy and it might cause some consternation from the OTR drivers.
Gotta comment here, if commercial DEF was that poor- America's truck fleet would line the highways coast to coast! But they don't. DEF fluid is simply mixture of 2/3 water and the balance of Urea a compound made from animal urine. It acts a catalyst when diesel fuel is injected with DEF into a burning chamber to reduce NOX and other contaminates. It's big drawback is it has a shelf life marked on the box. Some get fluid every few months, truck stops sell it every day, which is fresher?
Just food for thought......
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBaron View Post
I wouldn't have any problems filling up my DEF at a truck stop. As for related engine trouble, I might be missing something but to my knowledge, DEF is injected into the exhaust, not the engine so I can't see how that would damage anything unless you put DEF in your diesel tank.

Also, DEF is DEF. The ISO specs are the same for all versions/labeling that you would find out there. Diesel quality is another story...
X2

2016 Ford F350 DRW
2016 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic Low
rick03hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:04 PM   #10
Old Member

I have filled at a truck stop. Cheaper and convenient at least for a Ford. Get about 1,000 miles a gallon of DEF. I have also bought containers of DEF without spouts. A real pain and never again.
When towing the exhaust is usually hot enough that there's little need to regen but hot means Nox and that uses the DEF. Not towing is just the opposite and there is a need to regen but little use of DEF.
Cool Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRCreekers View Post

service manager better sign himself up for some product training. DEF never goes anywhere near the engine, it's injected into the exhaust, past the engine.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:21 PM   #12
Who Dares, Wins

Still learning about these diesels but I know if I run out of def it will eventually reduce my speed then limp mode, I think I remember read8ng similar with bad def. Maybe this is what they meant? But I'd think i would be more likely to get bad fuel. Sounds like they just want to sell "special" over priced Chevy def.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:31 PM   #13

I have filled DEF from the pump at truck stops. it takes a while while you wait trucks to do their thing. and you have to go inside as the pumps won't take your credit card. but we also get diesel at the same time and use the restroom and normally by a drink or something. so no big deal. I've been to a couple of pilot truck stops that had several large rv's in line with the trucks. you actually have to go in twice. the first time to have them authorize your credit card (say $100) and the second time to get the unused balance credited back. (let's all hope we can continue to fill up the truck for under $100!)
CHICKDOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:31 PM   #14

By the way DEF stands for Diesel Exhaust Fluid.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:01 AM   #15
(Dry Huunday)

I buy mine at Sam's due to convenience and price but I wouldn't have issue purchasing from a truck stop. I do check date on the box and also the seal on the container....evidently some "fine outstanding citizens" will buy DEF, carefully open it, fill up the truck, then refill the container with water and return it to the store for a full refund. Cashier has no idea!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:14 AM   #16

FYI: DEF has a shelf life of 2 years.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:23 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
I buy mine at Sam's due to convenience and price but I wouldn't have issue purchasing from a truck stop. I do check date on the box and also the seal on the container....evidently some "fine outstanding citizens" will buy DEF, carefully open it, fill up the truck, then refill the container with water and return it to the store for a full refund. Cashier has no idea!
I have started to do this with motor oil as well. Last year I purchased a 5Qt jug of synthetic oil to do an oil change on my car. Drained old oil, removed and replace filter. I opened the new jug and started to pour in. Noticed oil was black vs normal color. Someone had refilled the container with their used oil and returned it. Returned to store. Manager accused me of trying to cheat him as he said he would never sell used oil. Now I always check cap seal before leaving store.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:19 AM   #18

Wow! Didn't mean to start a war over DEF. By the way, it may have not been the engine he said was ruined. At my age I sometimes have trouble remembering my name for more than 20 minutes! As I wrote in my post, I need to get more info from him and do more research on my own. Oh and I DO know what DEF is and a bit about how it works. I was just passing on what I was told as I clearly stated in my post. Take it or leave it.
2013 Chevy 3500HD, D/A, DRW, 4X4
WeRCreekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:51 AM   #19

I saved the 2.5 gal DEF container from a former purchase. I refill that at truck stops instead of raising the hood and that hassle. I keep a full container in the back of the truck and dump it in under the hood of my Chevy at my next stop after it squeaks. Saves a few bucks.
Sterlingsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:59 AM   #20

I just took my new Ram 3500 DRW on a 1000 mile camping trip towing my 42' 5er and the DEF started out on 100% and when we got back home it was on 50%. I guess that thing used a lot of DEF while towing 18,000lbs. We drove the truck 1500 miles not towing and it didn't use any DEF so towing it sucks that DEF up quick. Guess I'll be stopping by the store to pick up a jug of it and I'll be checking the seals as described in earlier post. thanks for the heads up.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote