Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2020, 01:22 PM   #1

Dexter Axle Co are the BEST!

On a recent long trip we stopped to get fuel and I noticed burning clutch/brake smell. Took out my infrared temp gun and found one of my wheel was 143* at the drum where the others were at 83*. Uh oh! So I moved the RV to a parking spot and raised the side of the RV with the hot drum (appreciative for the hydraulic leveling system!). Wheel was very hard to turn so I knew I had a seized brake. Pulled the wheel off (thank goodness I carry a host of tools with me) and as soon as I removed the drum, the brake shoes and parts fell to the ground!

Removed what didn't fall off, replaced the drum and wheel and we were back on the road in 15 minutes (running on 3 brakes but not worried as the F350 with duals handles the braking well).

Took pictures and sent them to Dexter who filed a warranty claim for me. Just received via FedEx today a new drum and brake assembly.

KUDOS to Dexter for their over-the-top customer service! Sure I saved them $$$ with warranty labor but they were super great and efficient. Amazing customer experience!
Old 04-20-2020, 01:46 PM   #2

Years ago on our old Sun Line trailer we had a similar brake issue like you and just figured it was part of the experience and fixed it ourselves, then later when we were home started having another issue so to the dealer we went and they called Dexter about our issue, no problem they will fix it so I told the service guy about the original issue he called Dexter back and they reimbursed the cost of parts. Great customer service!!!!
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 01:57 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Through the years there are/have been many Dexter praise threads on R/V forums.

LCI and AL-KO (before the Dexter acquisition) ... not so much.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 02:15 PM   #4

Could you tell what part broke or was it too far gone by then?

This is one reason why I pull my drums off yearly to inspect my brakes along with the bearings.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 03:12 PM   #5
jkoenig24

Another GREAT experience here with Dexter. A brake on a new Rance Aluminum Trailer self destructed on the first trip (NUMEROUS problems with Rance). Parts were NOT available locally but, the mobile tech removed the broken parts and got me on my way. The next day, I got to the Dexter facility in Elkhart where they stayed late, went above and beyond and, did a proper repair. This was after Rance Aluminum Trailer blew me off. Rance's attitude was "we've got your money, we delivered a trailer (that had NOT been built to spec) so, go away and don't bother us. Not only did Dexter make everything right, they reimbursed me for the road service call!
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Could you tell what part broke or was it too far gone by then?

This is one reason why I pull my drums off yearly to inspect my brakes along with the bearings.
Unfortunately no way to tell what was the exact cause for pretty much all the pieces fell to the ground when I removed the drum. I suspect, though, that one of the shoe hold downs came undone and all the parts (including the loose shoe) started flopping around in the drum. The arm on the magnet was even bent/bowed so things were definitely binding in there.

Will just say.....totally glad that I had all the tools available. Once I raised the side of the RV and saw the wheel was hard to turn, it was fairly fast to remove the wheel, drum, brakes and reassemble. Having the 3000 watt generator available along with an electric impact wrench made short time of the removal and re-installation of the wheel. I also carry a torque wrench to torque the lug nuts. Only thing I now need to add to my arsenal of tools is nitrile disposable gloves.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Through the years there are/have been many Dexter praise threads on R/V forums.

LCI and AL-KO (before the Dexter acquisition) ... not so much.
I think it's important to give praise/kudos when a vendor/supplier provides exceptional service. So many times we are quick to complain but not so quick on the praise.

Hats off to Dexter!
Old 04-21-2020, 09:48 PM   #8

Smile Also Kudos to LCI

Last fall (returning from our LAST available camping trip) I (DH here) noticed one tire wearing more than the others. I called the Lippert customer service.
They sent me a form to complete by measuring distances from the frame to the tire. It is a toe-in form for both axles.
I sent it back and the next day they told me I needed to replace the front axle.
Since the trailer was 5 years no warranty for shipping or labor. We drove the 120 miles to their factory to pick up the new axle(just before the 'stay at home' order). Will replace it as soon as the temperatures warm up and the rain/snow stops.
Cannot say enough for the technical support from Lippert as well.
Quilter3446 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle