Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2014, 09:34 PM   #1

Dexter nec-a-adjust brakes

I was checking camper over for next weeks vacation and found the right front brake adjuster had fallen off. After looking closer at the rear one found the lever for that adjuster not working. This is the third time the front has failed and second for the rear. They replaced the assembly and drum all previous times. I am not sure what is different from left to right but Dexter has a problem with the right. Anyone else having problems with these self adjusting brakes?
Jscribner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:14 AM   #2
Plain Old Member

I've never even looked at mine. Do you have any pictures of what fell off and where it's at. Brakes is something I haven't dealt with a lot since we've never kept an RV that long.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:58 PM   #3

I just put back together for now so we can take vacation Friday. I did talk and email Dexter today they had no explanation for the four failed assemblies on the right side. They just told me I was too far out of warranty for them to make the repair, but where can they send the parts. So I guess I can complain but wish they had a fix so it doesn't happen again. I think I figured out why it fails, I found when the lever slides up the adjuster wheel the wheel spins backwards and backs off the brakes to the point they fall apart. Not sure how to stop that yet. Hear are a few pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1407380218226.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	59853   Click image for larger version

Name:	1407380281358.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	59854   Click image for larger version

Name:	1407380305307.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	59855  
Old 08-06-2014, 10:08 PM   #4

I put the nev r adjust brakes on m fifth wheel. I haven't noticed any problem. Did you remove the drums to inspect them or did something else make you suspicious?
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:06 AM   #5

Adjuster wheels to blame?

In automotive applications, the adjuster wheels are a designated "L" left or "R" right side as the threads of the screw is either right or left threaded. Is it possible your right side brake assemblies have the wrong adjusters installed? The lever that catches the teeth on the adjuster is pulled up when excessive clearance between brake shoe lining and drum surface develops. Then the lever return spring pulls the lever down which rotates the adjuster wheel and the adjuster should screw out getting longer , expanding the shoes and reducing the brake shoe lining to drum clearance.

This is just a thought...I've never looked at one of these brake assemblies on a RV.
jaygeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:50 AM   #6

I wish it was just the wrong adjuster but they are the right ones. I found the problem when I was pulling the wheels to check the balance before we head out for vacation, and when i spun the wheel I could hear the adjuster in the drum. That is when i pulled the drums, I was not going to because my dealer just packed the bearings in May and replace that brake assembly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1407415797290.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	59883  
Old 08-07-2014, 07:53 AM   #7

I just noticed the heading on the thread. Sorry about that I posted from my phone, maybe I should shut the auto correct off. It should be DEXTER NEV-R-ADJUST BRAKES. Not sure how to correct it now.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:08 PM   #8

If your dealer just replaced the brake assembly, I am assuming that they stand behind their work. Not to mention it has been what 2 1/2 months ago when they did it.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes