Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2015, 10:58 AM   #1

Dexter nev r adjust brakes

We bought our 2015 34RL in February and have put 4000 miles on her so I decided to repack the wheel bearings. Everything went great until the last wheel. Right rear when I pulled the drum the adjuster and spring fell out. It looks like the brakes never worked because everything was so clean except the adjuster and spring that were trash and the drum was scored from having the parts rolling around in there. My selling dealer in Texas is going to warranty the parts but I needed something now . we are in Arizona and leave for Texas in a week. Dexter is no help because they only sell a adjuster kit for $25 but the shipping is $49. I found a axle shop here that sold me a complete backing plate Assembly for $78 and I also had him turn the drum. So all beware. Instead of greasing that zerk you may want to pull the drum and see what dexter gave you.
Kodiak Disc Brakes
97flhtcui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:18 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97flhtcui View Post
We bought our 2015 34RL in February and have put 4000 miles on her so I decided to repack the wheel bearings. Everything went great until the last wheel. Right rear when I pulled the drum the adjuster and spring fell out. It looks like the brakes never worked because everything was so clean except the adjuster and spring that were trash and the drum was scored from having the parts rolling around in there. My selling dealer in Texas is going to warranty the parts but I needed something now . we are in Arizona and leave for Texas in a week. Dexter is no help because they only sell a adjuster kit for $25 but the shipping is $49. I found a axle shop here that sold me a complete backing plate Assembly for $78 and I also had him turn the drum. So all beware. Instead of greasing that zerk you may want to pull the drum and see what dexter gave you.
Looks like I'll check my new Roo when it comes in for this, but I doubt it was Dexter. It may have passed about 5 different entities on its way to you.

If your frame is from LCI it probably was shipped to Cedar Creek with the axles already attached, possibly even the tires. So LCI didn't catch it or look for it. Cedar Creek didn't catch it or look for it. The transport driver hauled it to the dealer was clueless. Evidently your dealer never checked it or bothered to adjust the brakes which they should of done. Good thing you checked it......More than likely some moron somewhere along that line never adjusted that wheel to begin with, because it had to have a large amount of slack to allow the star wheel and stem to pop out. If the brake is adjusted correctly initially, that can't happen.

Eastern Marine has great prices on the entire backing plate assembly which is always less than trying to get the individual parts.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:42 AM   #3

You have been driving it this long slap it back together let dealer fix it. Or contact FR for dealer close to your location.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:03 PM   #4

"Let the dealer fix it" ... my dealings with many dealers over the years are mostly an exercise in futility. This is a simple job as the OP probably found out. Jack the axle up, remove the wheel, clip 2 wires, remove 5 nuts, swap out the backing plate assy, install 5 nuts, solder the wires back together, put the wheel back on, adjust the brake shoes, you're done. Send a contact at FR Warranty Division a copy of your brake purchase for reimbursement.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:20 PM   #5
DDC

On our way to Goshen this year I noticed the brakes not working very good, Dexter took off the hub to reveal the same condition as you are describing, both brakes on the right side were in pieces, we were lucky to be in the right place and Dexter replaced everything.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 03:39 PM   #6

We have been stationary in Arizona for the last 5 months. The service dept at our dealership ordered a new Assembly but it won't make it there for 2 weeks so I just picked up a new one. Got it for cost. I want to go back to Texas with 4 wheels with brakes working. I will give the service dept the old backing plate and they will give me a new one.
Kodiak Disc Brakes
97flhtcui is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes