RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 05-03-2020, 08:24 PM   #1

Directv / Satellite on roof

Anyone here own a cedar creek where they’ve installed a dish themselves? I’d rather not pay 130 dollars an hour to have my local rv dealer do it. I haven’t been on the roof searching, but I noticed in the specifications it says it’s prewired to the roof for satellite. I’ve also seen that the fold up satellites are much much cheaper than those plastic encased “KING” satellites for directv so any feedback there? Any and all info appreciated
HappilyLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:29 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Last time I looked a Traveller was double a dome type dish. A Traveller is the only way to go as the antenna has more gain and works better.

As far a s $130 an hour, well worth it. Let them measure it and drill the holes.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:44 PM   #3

A Trav'ler may be the way to go if you are dead set on a roof mount, but we camp a lot at lakes and Corps Parks and about half the time, a roof mount is useless due to trees. We have a Pathway X2 with a tripod and like it really well. We store it in the shower while on the road, so no storage issue. We start it up while we are setting other things up and it has found the satellites by the time we finish. To each his own ...
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
A Trav'ler may be the way to go if you are dead set on a roof mount, but we camp a lot at lakes and Corps Parks and about half the time, a roof mount is useless due to trees. We have a Pathway X2 with a tripod and like it really well. We store it in the shower while on the road, so no storage issue. We start it up while we are setting other things up and it has found the satellites by the time we finish. To each his own ...

Are there pros to the pathway x2 versus the king quest?

I’d need it for directv, not dish and I don’t see a compatible pathwayx2. I do see the winegard carryout g3 if that’s comparable. Seems to be a lot of options not necessarily dead set on a roof mount.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:53 AM   #5

I can't give you any feedback on a King Quest save you see them out at campgrounds. I used to be a Directv customer for over 15 years, but the Dish "Pay as You Go" is a way better value $$$ for me, I get near the same channel line up, and when I don't travel I can easily suspend service for say a month or two and then start back up with no fee. I went with the Pathway as it has a bit bigger dish than other models, so theoretically less signal loss due to weather and a bit better signal quality.
Old 05-04-2020, 12:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
I can't give you any feedback on a King Quest save you see them out at campgrounds. I used to be a Directv customer for over 15 years, but the Dish "Pay as You Go" is a way better value $$$ for me, I get near the same channel line up, and when I don't travel I can easily suspend service for say a month or two and then start back up with no fee. I went with the Pathway as it has a bit bigger dish than other models, so theoretically less signal loss due to weather and a bit better signal quality.

What’s the rough cost for the pay as you go? I know its advertised a single price but that changes a lot when all said and done
Old 05-04-2020, 12:00 PM   #7

We just ground mount our TV sat dish. And nothing fancy either....mount the dish onto a 2x10 and drilled holes in the corners for tent stakes. Once it's pointed, just secure the base!
2006 Dodge RAM 2500 TRX4 Cummins
2011 Cedar Creek Silverback 35K
just4u_cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:06 PM   #8

I have just the basic package with no add ons ... it's $42/month. Just call Dish and tell them you are an RVer and want info on "Pay as You Go" programming. A new customer gets a better rate for a year as does other providers. Basically, just read up on "Pay as You Go" or call them. It may or may not be for you.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:20 PM   #9

If your Cedar Creek is 2018 or newer you are NOT wired for the Traveler Dish. It takes 110 to operate the dish movement and Cedar Creek quit wiring for that in 2018. They promote the King system which operates off of low voltage so it can operate through the coax. The King system has some drawbacks, it only "shoots" one satellite at a time so if you have two t.v.'s and they want to watch different programming, it won't work. Just some food for thought.
wbonta123bbonta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:08 PM   #10

roof satellite mount

Have a roof mount on my Forrester and next one will be a remote portable. Trees frequently a problem and remote seems to resolve most of that. Easy to steal though
Jan and Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:06 PM   #11

I have an x2 in storage for when the pathway on roof is blocked.
But OP said direct tv (that other company att is trying to kill)

Tags
lite, roo, roof, satellite