Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2017, 01:48 PM   #1

Do you cover your Fifth Wheel

We will be picking up our new 36cK2 at the end of March. Do to its size we cannot store it at home and will need to store it at a outdoor storage facility. We are considering buying a cover for the fifth wheel since it will be sitting in complete sun. Do you cover your fifth wheel? Are there any specific pros or cons to covering your fifth wheel? Is there a specific cover or brand you would recommend? Thanks for any advice.
mdshope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:01 PM   #2

My Creek sits in the sun and it's not covered. It's at my home but it doesn't make any difference. It's your camper do what you feel like.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:05 PM   #3

We had a cover for our previous 32' fifth wheel. It was heavy and hard for me to handle (bad back and knee). I never could figure out how to get it put on without the weight breaking off the gutter extensions at the four corners of the trailer. I'd like to have our current 36ckts protected from the weather but covers seem more trouble than their worth to me.
5er - 2013 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Classic Champagne Touring Edition
Stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:25 PM   #4

I had a cover on ours the first year. That was enough for me. I don't know if it wasn't tied down enough or what but it rubbed the rubber roof off of the edges down to the plywood. Had to get that fixed. Then when we were taking the cover off I noticed a lump under it. My son was helping me and he was pulling it back and it was a raccoon. He was climbing the trailer ladder to get on the roof. Had raccoon poop all over the roof. After we got the raccoon down by having it still wrapped in the cover pulling it off of the camper it got out and went in the garage. I had to end up shooting the raccoon in the garage. We were lucky that the raccoon at least didn't do any damage to the roof. So I will never put another cover on again.
It's ok to laugh. I'm over it and we do now get a chuckle out of it when we bring it up.
LarryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:30 PM   #5

Where we live it is too windy to cover so no we do not, after loosing a cover in 3 months to wind damage ( and camper wear)

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:50 PM   #6

full sun for me, no cover I tried the cloth covers, but you only get a few years out of them before the sun destroys them. I don't think they are worth it. I would like to have mine covered in a building, but I won't use the cloth covers again.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:06 PM   #7
Cyber Phrenologist

We park ours in the yard with no cover. We carefully avoid getting under the cherry trees! After almost 10 years the decals on the southern side of the trailer have degraded. Other than that, no issues.

Perhaps in your storage lot the trailer could be parked facing a different direction now and then?

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:33 PM   #8

Where do you live?
Here in Florida it didn't take too many years for the sun to eat away my previous motorhome and I eventually put up a metal carport 18x36. Now that I have a new CC I extended the carport to 18x46 to keep all of it out of the sun.
If you can't keep it at home I would highly recommend finding covered storage.
Nights Camped: 2017=61
Nights Camped: 2018=25
Nights Camped: 2019=12 | Booked=6
florabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:26 PM   #9
WFD

For the last 2 days here we have had wicked wind...gusting to 50mph...stuff flying all over...as well as snow and even dirt and other debris being blown around and being seen on top of the snow. Made me glad trailer is not covered, because that grit could find its way under the trailer cover and do more damage, not to mention the cover possibly flapping around. Many stories of people covering just to find rub marks or chaffing all over.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:30 PM   #10

Fixing to order me up a carport cover for mine, 18x41 that should do the trick, at least in 10 years i can get a little money back for it.
Gitiup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:17 AM   #11

I really appreciate all the information. Looks like a cover can cause more damage than what it will prevent. The RV we are getting has full body paint so we really wanted to find a way to protect it and keep it in top shape. Will try and find covered storage and if I can ever get a place at home for it to park I will buy or build a covered RV port as suggested. Thanks!!
Old 03-09-2017, 02:29 PM   #12
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

How can you cover it when your camping in it.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:33 PM   #13

Before I purchase my new Cardinal I looked at many used RV's. Those that had been covered all had bad wear marks through the paint and gel.
I'm lucky that I had bought a 24'x80' pull-thru 4 years ago and can fit the 5er, 2 boats and my RZR in it with no problem. It's handled as a condo so there are association dues but they don't seem to ever depreciate so it's an investment. Some folks rent part of theirs to help pay for it as well plus get an IRS write-off if you're in the right tax bracket.
I can work on mine no matter what the weather is and it keeps it looking new.
Just something to think about.
Previously: 36' Country Coach
Havasu Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshope View Post
I really appreciate all the information. Looks like a cover can cause more damage than what it will prevent. The RV we are getting has full body paint so we really wanted to find a way to protect it and keep it in top shape. Will try and find covered storage and if I can ever get a place at home for it to park I will buy or build a covered RV port as suggested. Thanks!!

We own a 2011 cedar creek 36 ckts with custom paint and my cover is my insurance I have a full 40ft cover the key to covers is proper installation yes they are work to put on not covered all that blown grit will get into your account units and imbedded in roof material, I leave my rain gutters on and cut slots in tennis balls to stick on each corner properly tighten all straps and you will not find any abrasions on your paint as my new at one cover is double lined with a nice material to protect paint, make sure any slides awning covers cams are not protruding to damage cover or unit these covers are made to breath with a low air flow inside cover during any higher winds than normal . Than I will always be down checking my unit to assure cover has not lossened off any to give me trouble my paint and decals are like the day they come out off the factory I also wax my unit twice a year more insurance when I pull my cover off in the spring and compare it to the other people who don't cover right than I see the damage on there's not being covered loose flying debris etc can nail your unit and fill every crack and crevices with a sand and dirt three of us are stand alone cover junkys many ask us how I keep my trailer so new lookin when we are camping to me the proof is out there standing thank you
buckaroo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:13 PM   #15
New TT Owner

I was going to ask the same question regarding covers. I've been researching covers, which ones are the best, etc. We just cut down 3 trees and are extending our driveway so we can park our little Mini Rockwood at home. But it will be in full sun too which concerns me. And I'd love to put up a cover but can't due to regulations.

I've read to put tennis balls on the gutters and anything sharp to prevent the rubbing effect on the trailers as well as tears. I also read about roof vent covers being melted underneath covers. I'm at a total loss as I want to protect the exterior and the rooftop seals as well as keeping it looking like new. I'm really struggling with what I need to do. Looking for ideas as well.
Lovestogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:35 PM   #16

This
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	102_3339.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	291.4 KB
ID:	131490  
Days camped 2014 33 . 2015 42. 2016 38. 2017 35. 2018 41. 2019 43. 2020 42. 2021 40.
mikes86gn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckaroo2 View Post
We own a 2011 cedar creek 36 ckts with custom paint and my cover is my insurance I have a full 40ft cover the key to covers is proper installation yes they are work to put on not covered all that blown grit will get into your account units and imbedded in roof material, I leave my rain gutters on and cut slots in tennis balls to stick on each corner properly tighten all straps and you will not find any abrasions on your paint as my new at one cover is double lined with a nice material to protect paint, make sure any slides awning covers cams are not protruding to damage cover or unit these covers are made to breath with a low air flow inside cover during any higher winds than normal . Than I will always be down checking my unit to assure cover has not lossened off any to give me trouble my paint and decals are like the day they come out off the factory I also wax my unit twice a year more insurance when I pull my cover off in the spring and compare it to the other people who don't cover right than I see the damage on there's not being covered loose flying debris etc can nail your unit and fill every crack and crevices with a sand and dirt three of us are stand alone cover junkys many ask us how I keep my trailer so new lookin when we are camping to me the proof is out there standing thank you

Do you just cover your RV in the winter? Or do you cover it between trips during the camping season?
Old 03-09-2017, 11:58 PM   #18

No cover here. My Columbus sits in full sun facing west in Northern California. I polish my 5th wheel witha a polimer marine polish twice a year to keep it from deteriorating from the sun.
ecvbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:45 AM   #19

Hi from Australia. I am in Queensland where we have just gone through the hottest summer on record. My 31' Rockwood sits out front and I have been concerned that the membrane roof may crack due to the severe heat without any air flow. So I have purchased a "Storm Blanket" ( UV laminated polyethylene fabric. The inner layer is a specially manufactured extra soft and tough foam). I have decided on a blanket rather than a full cove so that I can leave slides out. I hope this is of some help to you. Stormcovers Australia Hail Protection Covers Caravan Hail Cover Camper Trailer Hail Cover Car Hail Cover
sanmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:05 AM   #20

you must have some big Cherry trees if you can get your fifth wheel under them??

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, fifth wheel, wheel