Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2016, 02:39 AM   #1

Does zone 2 AC work independently of zone 1?

We are trying to run zone 2 AC by itself at night to hopefully keep the bedroom cooler. All that is happening is that the ac unit hums very loudly for a few minutes then turns off. After awhile the humming starts again. We turned off zone 2 and turned on zone 1. Just not sure how the 2nd ac is designed to work.

Danny & Esther
2016 38RD Hathaway Edition
2016 F350 Dully
MURRAY5476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:16 AM   #2

Not sure which RV you have ? On my Coach either unit will work independent of the other.

We do what you are trying all the time. Which ever end of the coach we are in we run the opposite AC. To keep the noise away from where we are. Then when needed we run both.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:14 AM   #3

We turn zone 1 up higher than zone 2 so that we have cooler in the bedroom. Yes the AC cycles like you mentioned in zone 2. It has to do with the sensor location in the bedroom versus the sensor for zone 1. We turn zone 2 down a lot because we want the coolness in the bedroom. Usually set zone 1 to 72 and zone 2 to about 68 at night. We are in the south. Like it cool.

Tom
2016 Ford Power Stroke F350 Lariat Crew Cab Long Bed Dual Wheel
2015 Cedar Creek 38RD Hathaway Edition
ttanous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:06 AM   #4

If I understand it (and I have zero experience until this Tuesday night!!! LOL), the thermostat settings for both will simply tell that specific unit whether to come on or not.

However, they both feed air into the exact same ducts. The bedroom a/c is not an a/c that cools only the bedroom. If it were not very hot, I suppose you could run zone 2 only, and cool the whole trailer. Zone 1 also cools whole trailer. That's how I understand mine works.

And it's possible trailers are all different in that regard. And it's also possible I'm misunderstanding it.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MURRAY5476 View Post
We are trying to run zone 2 AC by itself at night to hopefully keep the bedroom cooler. All that is happening is that the ac unit hums very loudly for a few minutes then turns off. After awhile the humming starts again. We turned off zone 2 and turned on zone 1. Just not sure how the 2nd ac is designed to work.

Danny & Esther
2016 F350 Dully
Does the fan come on?

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:39 AM   #6
chesbass

Zone 2 AC

Sounds to me like the zone 2 air conditioner compressor is coming on because the thermostat is calling for cool air yet the blower motor is not running it sounds like you could have a failed blower motor on that air conditioner therefore it shuts down because of no fan.
Quote:

Danny & Esther
2016 F350 Dully
chesba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesba88 View Post
Sounds to me like the zone 2 air conditioner compressor is coming on because the thermostat is calling for cool air yet the blower motor is not running it sounds like you could have a failed blower motor on that air conditioner therefore it shuts down because of no fan.
X2, to test the fan select zone 2 and press the fan for low or hi and see if it comes on..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 02:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Does the fan come on?
No. I do not hear fan come on
Old 06-12-2016, 02:20 PM   #9

Quote:
I do not hear fan coming on.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:22 PM   #10
chesbass

No Fan

Like I mentioned earlier you probably have a bad fan motor.
Quote:
No. I do not hear fan come on
chesba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Like I mentioned earlier you probably have a bad fan motor.
X2
rainsmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:23 AM   #12
Global Nomad

BandJCarm is correct. Both a/c send cool air to all vents. Zone 2, on my Cedar Creek, is at the front (over the hitch pin). It sends more air to the bedroom, also in the front. Zone 1, in the living area, sends more air there. The thermostat has numerous setting, including fan only. You must check for each zone.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:53 PM   #13

Our bedroom AC is totally independent from the Living Room AC and they each have their own thermostats. We are on our third AC units. Dometic has had many problems with AC Units and they were recalls, they do have a 2 year warranty. Get a new one!!
nikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:15 AM   #14

Cedar creek said they would cover ac repair, even though we were out of our 1 year warranty. We would have to take to our selling dealer. We talked to a very reliable local RV repair co. We will go with Dometic 2 year warranty. Repairman will come to our permanent lot on Monday to inspect for repair!!

Danny & Esther
2016 F350 Dully
Old 06-24-2016, 01:49 PM   #15

Checked mine yesterday the bedroom a/c only cools the bedroom and bathroom.The main one cools both the downstairs and also some to the bedroom. This is on a 2017 29RE Silverback. It would be hard to sleep with the bedroom one running at night because it is very noisy.
jjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:36 AM   #16

jjcook ... you may want to check again. Your ceiling cooling supply ducts are like one big oval race track running from front to rear of your unit. The main A/C is mounted in the rear turn ... the front A/C is mounted in the front turn. If you can't feel any air from the front A/C from all ceiling ducts with the rear air off ... you may have one of the infamous collapsed air ducts that will hinder your overall cooling.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:48 PM   #17

Dieselguy Rechecked mine today if I turn on zone 2 a/c and up the fan to medium or high I get air at all the ducts . The fan was on auto the other day I guess that is why I did not feel air downstairs. Thanks for the come back. How noisy is your zone 2 a/c unit mine seems like something is rattling inside it.
jjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:35 AM   #18

My front air is pretty noisey being @4' above the bed makes it sound louder as well. The return ducts in the bedroom are formed by just the ceiling paneling up against the roof trusses with a hole cut for the grill near the exterior wall. Pull the door down on both return grills and using a flashlite and mirror look up towards the A/C. One of my ceiling panels had never been properly glued and stapled to the truss and hung down about an inch on the street side. In effect I didn't have a return duct for the front A/C but was drawing hot air from the attic space between the roof and inner ceiling. I used Gorrilla tape to span the void between ceiling panneling and truss to make it a duct again. I tried construction adhesive and new staples with a prop between bed and ceiling to let the adhesive cure, but it didn't hold first trip out.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote