Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2013, 05:18 AM   #1

Dometic Comfort Control II in Cedar Creek 5th. wheel

Has anyone had any problems with the Dometic Comfort Control II thermostat or the A/C system in their new Cedar Creeks?
The A/C has cooled our Creek very well this summer but now the temperature outside is down in the 70's I think I have discovered a problem. Our A/C is cycling close to 20 times per hour. Outside temp., is 77 degrees, thermostat is set at 74, A/C fan comes on, 12 seconds later you hear the compressor kick in, all this is normal. The A/C runs for only 1 minute 10 seconds then cuts off. About 2 to 2 1/2 minutes later it goes through the same cooling cycle, that is a little less than 20 cycles per hour. The temp., on the thermostat stays at 74. There does not seem to be a one or two degree variance on the thermostat. Dometic tells me there no adjustment on it and to take it to my dealer. A three hundred mile round trip to the dealer is not going to cut it. Wish we had a Cedar Creek representative active on this forum.
Any suggestions?

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:27 AM   #2
Carknocker Family

When I had my A/C worked on, didnt have to use MY dealer, just someone that is Dominic certified. Call them back and find out where the nearest repair facility is.
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:34 AM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

What kind of A/C? i.e. fully ducted with no access to the coil or interior grill? Reason for asking is that there is a temperature probe that they "stick" into the coil in some models and it can and does rattle out. That could cause your constant cycling. Another possibility is an iced up coil. A third possibility, if you have the fully ducted HP unit, is plugged foam filters in your return air ducts.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:23 AM   #4

I would make sure the mode is set to Cool and not "Auto". Make sure that none of the vents aren't pointing at the thermostat sensor units.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
What kind of A/C? i.e. fully ducted with no access to the coil or interior grill? Reason for asking is that there is a temperature probe that they "stick" into the coil in some models and it can and does rattle out. That could cause your constant cycling. Another possibility is an iced up coil. A third possibility, if you have the fully ducted HP unit, is plugged foam filters in your return air ducts.
It is one of the fully ducted units with no access to the coil from the inside. The foam filters in all four return air vents are clean. If you saw my post a couple of weeks ago on the A/C vents not being taped up tight and some misaligned, I checked the return air vents then. RV only 2 1/2 months old.
Switching the rear unit off and just using the bedroom a/c, same thing. Three to four cycles per 15 minutes. Has to be the thermostat, I think.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
Certified Curmudgeon

I agree. If both are doing the same thing it would certainly point to the thermostat. You did check to see if it is running a program... If it is, it could be overriding your setting. Other than that, I'm out of ideas. Sorry.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #7
Plain Old Member

Not isolated to the cedar creeks. I'm on second control box and thermostat. Still acts stupid when it gets close to set temp. Fan speed goes back and forth from low to high / on and off. My BIL's heartland, same thing. It works as designed and is a junk thermostat in my opinion. Never had this trouble till the new digital dometic single and double zone t-stats came out. Now you read about this same problem in all brands with these t-stats. Definitely going to shorten the fan motor life. Probably designed to go out at 3 years with the warranty.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #8

I have a cedar creek cottage, 2014. I just had a second roof air installed and noticed that the inside temp in the bedroom never changed. I pulled off the remote temp sensor cover on the ceiling and pulled more wire through. Then the sensor worked better. The ccc thermostat works well in my camper. You can change the temp on off to 2 degrees instead of one degree, you might want to try that.
Ray B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray B View Post
I have a cedar creek cottage, 2014. I just had a second roof air installed and noticed that the inside temp in the bedroom never changed. I pulled off the remote temp sensor cover on the ceiling and pulled more wire through. Then the sensor worked better. The ccc thermostat works well in my camper. You can change the temp on off to 2 degrees instead of one degree, you might want to try that.
I talked to someone at Dometic that said the thermostat on off temp could not be changed, then I just found information that it indeed could. I will try that in a couple of weeks on our next trip.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ret2006 View Post

I talked to someone at Dometic that said the thermostat on off temp could not be changed, then I just found information that it indeed could. I will try that in a couple of weeks on our next trip.
From reading the manual, you can change the differential for Furnace mode but not for Cooling.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
From reading the manual, you can change the differential for Furnace mode but not for Cooling.
Dometic sure doesn't make it easy, do they? Wish I could just go out and get a GOOD Honeywell thermostat that would work.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:51 PM   #12

Thought I would add this here. The AC return air vents are going to be a problem, once you remove the vents a few times to change the filters, the screw holes are going to strip out. I searched and found these on E -bay. They are only available from Canada. I received them and installed them in about 15 minutes. The filters from Canada are very expensive, so I found a place that makes custom filters for $2.69 each and am having them made. You just flip down the cover, insert the new filter and you are done. Makes the job much easier and should last a long time.
Attached Images

gatogonow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:12 PM   #13
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatogonow View Post
Thought I would add this here. The AC return air vents are going to be a problem, once you remove the vents a few times to change the filters, the screw holes are going to strip out. I searched and found these on E -bay. They are only available from Canada. I received them and installed them in about 15 minutes. The filters from Canada are very expensive, so I found a place that makes custom filters for $2.69 each and am having them made. You just flip down the cover, insert the new filter and you are done. Makes the job much easier and should last a long time.
Good info. Thanks
Old 10-28-2013, 06:16 AM   #14

gatogonow

where can I find those air vents on ebay, I would like to order the filters too.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:12 AM   #15

Vent Guard Return Air Grille 14" x 6" 10030 Furnace Retrofit ABS Plastic Dust | eBay
gatogonow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #16

I had the same problem with my 32RL Wildcat, at first Tom Johnson said it was air blowing on the thermostat, that was not it. Then they told me that was the way it was suppoused to work, that was wrong, once the temp got above 80 the A/C did not ever turn off, just cycle up and down. After awhile Tom Johnson thought it something that I wanted to whine about. It was like that when I traded but I had a lemon and after awhile you become a whinner when you take a camper back a lot. On my Cedar Creek now I just set the heat and set the cool and forget it on the thermostat , I never mess with the program setting, Camping World said just stay away from that setting, I have no problem now
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, cedar creek, dometic, wheel