Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2015, 08:42 PM   #1

Dometic Refrigerator

We have a 2013 34rlsa cedar creek. We have to travel with the refrig running on propane or will lose our food. Last week we traveled 30 miles which took us approximately 45 minutes. The refrig was filled the night before only with cold or frozen food. The outside temp was about 82 degrees when we left home and thought since going only a short distance, could travel with frig turned off. When we reached our destination the inside frig temp was 42 degrees. What might the problem be?
Mica38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:44 PM   #2

That should read Dometic, not Domestic.

Edit by site team: fixed spelling
Old 05-07-2015, 08:59 PM   #3
Site Team

Had you cooled down the frig for a day or do before packing it? It takes a while to cool down.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:39 PM   #4

It had been cooled for nearly 3 days before leaving.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 05-07-2015, 09:58 PM   #5

The pilot light is blowing out. I had the same issue with my Apex and I called Dometic. They sent me a baffle kit to block the air from blowing the pilot out. This is a problem on some RV's due to fridge placement.

Call Dometic, tell them your problem and they will probably send you a baffle kit...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 02:34 PM   #6
Site Team

Not sure how familiar you are with rv frigs but sometimes the thermister needs adjusting on the fins inside, top right. The higher it is pushed up the fin, the colder it will get. Supposedly. Sometimes the thermister comes out and hangs down. Just a thought.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 04:31 PM   #7

The problem is not the thermistor nor the pilot blowing out. The problem has to do with insulation etc. We were only going 30 miles so turned refrig off. When we left home it was 32 degrees. When we arrived at our destination it was reading 42 degrees. I keep reading that people can travel most of a day and still have a cold refrig.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:16 PM   #8

Is there any possibility of a fouled door seal? You could run a piece of paper along the edges to see if there are any gaps. Is your rig towing level? Another possibility might be that the doors are getting slightly "racked" out of square and compromising the door seals. Possibly overfilled with cold food pressing on the thermistor so your reefer is getting a false temp reading?

That's about all I can come up with.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:52 PM   #9

Leave it on and running no matter how short of a trip.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:14 PM   #10

I have been running x country and short trips for 5 years, 2 different std Dometic refers. I ALWAYS leave them on. 90% of time they are packed with perishables. Never had but ONE ISSUE, that fin was low. I moved it 3/4 up and after cooling, never another issue.

Not say'n that was your issue. That would be a heck of an insulation issue for it to rise 10 degrees in 30 minutes!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverbackMel View Post
That would be a heck of an insulation issue for it to rise 10 degrees in 30 minutes!
X2. I've never heard of one dropping that fast without some other issue involved. It's got to be spilling from somewhere. If it was the ammonia they would definitely smell it.

One other trick is to put dry ice in a shallow bowl of water and close it up in your reefer. It might help to detect any seal issues.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:37 PM   #12

Thank you all for your thoughts.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:08 AM   #13

You didn't say what the starting temp was ... assuming it was 38 degrees ... a 4 degree drop isn't all that bad. How are you measuring the Temp? We have one of those inside / outside thermometers in ours ... we use it, but don't swear by the readings. Perhaps you do have a bad door seal ... we just travel with the propane on no matter the length of the trip ... thousands of other RVers do the same. We do turn the fridge off while filling up at gas stations and when we know we are going thru tunnels ... after fueling or tunneling ... we turn the fridge back on.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 12:37 AM   #14

I have a 4 door frig in my camper that the temp goes up when it is plugged in and never comes back down for hours.. I have had it worked on and still does not work. Temp has been 50 for hours again now and stuff is getting warm. Have jumped thru all of Dometics hoops and still can not get a new frig. It has been a year(2014 model)and has never worked since the 1st trip..My dealer who I will never take it back to again and Forest River have been no help. Now working with Dometic but no help there. Just try this and try that. Ready to scream at somebody.
Silverback Iowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 01:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mica38 View Post
The problem is not the thermistor nor the pilot blowing out. The problem has to do with insulation etc. We were only going 30 miles so turned refrig off. When we left home it was 32 degrees. When we arrived at our destination it was reading 42 degrees. I keep reading that people can travel most of a day and still have a cold refrig.

Looks like they stated it was (32Deg) at the start! If they are Happy with 32 let it Run! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 03:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback Iowan View Post
I have a 4 door frig in my camper that the temp goes up when it is plugged in and never comes back down for hours.. I have had it worked on and still does not work. Temp has been 50 for hours again now and stuff is getting warm. Have jumped thru all of Dometics hoops and still can not get a new frig. It has been a year(2014 model)and has never worked since the 1st trip..My dealer who I will never take it back to again and Forest River have been no help. Now working with Dometic but no help there. Just try this and try that. Ready to scream at somebody.
By -pass your dealer and FR. You have a 2 year warranty on the unit (I THINK) check the Dometic web site and take it to there authorized repair center. If it's under warranty they will repair it. Had a A/C problem I knew that the blower was not right with the electrical brushes. Took it to a Coleman Rep. Company, they found it and replaced my blower and motor.Dealer kept telling me it was normal...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:04 AM   #17

I have repairman working with Dometic and they just keep trying stuff and nothing is working. Have had 2 mother boards replaced and tried other stuff and does not fix the problem. Need a new frig but not getting it.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:15 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
Leave it on and running no matter how short of a trip.
X2. Problem solved. Or, you could keep trying different things , and still end up with leave it running.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:41 PM   #19

Rally time

Take that unit and sign up for the Rally in Indiana IF POSSIBLE.
If not, get yourself a small claims lawyer and begin action. You should not be having this issue. Dometic needs to STEP UP and have you go someplace within a reasonable distance to you for replacement.
They warranty their own products .
A drafted letter from a lawyer will get their attention. Sad to say BUT if you do not, no one will step up to help you!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 03:14 PM   #20

Well my refrigerator is doing it's THING again. Has not be normal temp since 4 pm Friday. This is Saturday afternoon. Is now 46 and going up. Was on 43 for hours. Come Tuesday I am calling Dometic and Forest River and the repairman I have been working with. After that my lawyer. It's been a year. My patience are gone!!!

Tags
refrigerator, dometic