Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2021, 01:09 PM   #1

Drain line?

OK, need yalls help again. Had a heavy rain last night. Sitting out front this morning and heard water running. Went around to the back side of our 2017 38EL and looked underneath. Just forward of the kitchen slide and wheels, there are 2 plastic lines. One is blue with a valve and the other just looks like a drain line with no valve or cap. This one was pouring water. I quickly turned the water to the camper off which had no effect. The water stopped running a few minutes later. The water has been back on now for several hours and no leaking or draining. Anyone know what or where the water could have been draining from?
Steven Spears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 01:12 PM   #2

Is your fresh water tank full?
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 01:18 PM   #3

Water probably coming from the fresh water tank overflow.
2017 Ford F350 PSD
GlenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 01:53 PM   #4

Fresh water tank is empty, hooked up to city water.
Old 09-19-2021, 02:50 PM   #5

Open the fresh tank drain. A check valve between the city water and the fresh tank inlet sometimes leaks or it leaks back through the water pump.
2017 Ford F350 PSD
GlenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 02:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Spears View Post
Fresh water tank is empty, hooked up to city water.
I have to ask, did you check the level of the fresh water tank or are you assuming? There is a check valve in the water pump that keeps your fresh water tank from filling when connected to city water. If that check valve stuck open, the tank may have filled and was overflowing through a vent drain.
Old 09-19-2021, 03:07 PM   #7

We have owned the unit for a year and have never used the fresh water tank. The panel for the tank levels show the tank is empty so you're right, I assumed. I accidently hit the pump switch a couple days ago but it was only on for a few seconds. A few minutes ago I hit the pump switch again and water started draining again.
Old 09-19-2021, 03:09 PM   #8

If I open the valve on the other line right next to it will that drain my tank if it is full?
Old 09-19-2021, 03:43 PM   #9

I'm confused by post #7. Is the tank indicating full or empty? If it is full, I recommend that you unhook or turn off city water. If you don't want to fill a grey water tank, then open an outside shower faucet - in fact, it would probably be good to unscrew the shower head from the hose because you may get some debris coming out of the pump. Pump the fresh water tank down to 3 out of 4 lights on (2/3 level). Cycle the pump on and off at least 3 or 4 times as you pump the water out. Also with the pump running, open and close the faucet valves 4 or 5 times as well, letting the water pump turn itself off.

Hopefully that will get any debris out of the check valve and it will reseal. Then you can open the drain valve and drain the fresh water tank. Once it stops draining, leave the drain valve open, then turn city water back on and watch the drain to see if the check valve is leaking.

Might want to turn off the water heater while you do all this.
Old 09-19-2021, 04:22 PM   #10

My guess is overflow from the fresh water tank. Here's my logic:

While on a July camping trip I noticed that our fresh water tank gauge was reading more than empty. We always camp with full hook-ups and don't tote fresh water. The water selector is in the "City" position. Didn't think much of the gauge reading and went upon my way. Couple camping event later in August, water is pouring out the tank overflow. What the???? Drained the fresh water tank....it was full.

My guess....despite being in the city water position, some water was sneaking on past the valve into the fresh tank. Now I just leave the fresh water tank drain open.

Tags
drain