Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2020, 06:22 PM   #1

Drill here

Installing a new stackable washer and dryer. I called Forest River to get schematics ror the rear cap to find out where to drill the dryer vent. Even though there is a tag that states DRILL HERE
I just wanted to be sure that there were no studs or wires in the way
Well, after four or five calls and nothing but voicemails and no return calls, i drilled. Ofcourse right through a aluminum stud.
Oh well, now what?
jstarwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 11:48 PM   #2
KSH

Stud finder should have been step one.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 12:05 AM   #3

When I put my Splendide in, I drilled a 1/4 inch hole through the inside wall only, on the "drill here" mark. Didn't hit anything so then I used a 1 inch spade drill, again through the inside only. I stuck a finger in to feel all around to make sure there were no obstructions. Then I used a 1 inch hole saw with a 1/4 pilot bit to drill the 1/4 inch hole through the outside wall. I followed that with the full size hole saw to do the inside wall only.
Once I had the 1/4 inch through the outside wall, I used my full size hole saw with the 1/4 inch pilot to bore through from the OUTSIDE for the outside wall. Doing it this way insured my full size holes lined up for my dryer vent and I had no splintering of material on the outside, or inside.

If you only have a small hole in a stud, move over enough to clear it and continue on. You can put a screw in your false hole if you want to plug it with something.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 12:43 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to B and B
A simple cut with a utility knife to see what is inside. Them you can drill your pilot hole and patch the side wall after. Never see it beside the dryer.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote