Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2015, 03:24 PM   #1

Dual pane windows

We are thinking about ordering a 2016 33IK the question is are dual pane windows worth the cost and added weight? Would like pros and cons .Also any suggestions on options etc. thanks
jjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post
We are thinking about ordering a 2016 33IK the question is are dual pane windows worth the cost and added weight? Would like pros and cons .Also any suggestions on options etc. thanks
It does not add much weight have them on mine and the nice thing of it is that they dont frost like regular windows your unit is very well insulated and this will help you on heating cost and more comfortable inside unit.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:49 PM   #3

I love mine.
ba964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:36 PM   #4

No they are not exactly like dual pane stick house windows, but they do make a difference. Once you go double pane, you'll wonder why you waited so long. Helps in heating, cooling, condensation on insides of windows, and has an added benefit of lowering the campground noise inside your RV. Like said ... the minimal weight issue is far outweighed by the advantages.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:06 PM   #5
CCRVOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
No they are no exactly like dual pane stick house windows, but they do make a difference. Once you go double pane, you'll wonder why you waited so long. Helps in heating, cooling, condensation on insides of windows, and has an added benefit of lowering the campground noise inside your RV. Like said ... the minimal weight issue is far outweighed by the advantages.
X2- would buy them again, and wish I had them on my previous trailers.
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB, 4x4, 3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20, TST507, Garmin RV760, Sleek 4g
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 1000w Solar, TriStar MPPT 60, Magnum 2000w, PI EMS, WiFi Ranger Elite, Sleek 4g, Wingard DTV Traveler
Retired Army in 1995, and now retired in 2016
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:20 PM   #6

Diesel guy hit the nail on the head. They are not quite as good as home style double pane, but a heck of an improvement over single pane. I wouldn't have another camper without double pane windows.

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:49 PM   #7

I liked my too until four of the small tilt-out windows started to cloud up between the panes, six months out of warranty. I understand they are quite expensive to repair or replace.

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:25 PM   #8

2 SOB's and 1 Silverback ... 11 years of dual panes ... no issues other than paying abit more for them. Yes there are a few reports of loosing the seal between the panes ... your sidewall may delaminate ... your fridge may pinhole and loose the cooling fluid ... there's a lot of possibilities of failures owning an RV.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ret2006 View Post
I liked my too until four of the small tilt-out windows started to cloud up between the panes, six months out of warranty. I understand they are quite expensive to repair or replace.

Same thing happened to ours but they did swap them out with new at the FROG rally but it took 2 years before it was done.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:55 AM   #10

As others have said Diesel Guy said it right! I won't buy another one without them. The noise difference is unbelievable!
Old 10-28-2015, 08:11 AM   #11
DDC

I'm surprised the widow manufacturer's warranty is not longer than one year, these types of seals are normally guaranteed for 5 to 10 years, anyone ever try to get the window supplier to replace them, FR only does whole unit for one or two years, just a thought.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:28 AM   #12

We have them and would definatly get them again.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:42 AM   #13

I wrestled with these less than two weeks ago, they are offered as an option of the Rockwood Roos which I found amusing. It was @ $600+ option for 3 small windows that were going in an R-7 wall in a trailer with tent openings on the end that are about 48SF of R-0. The only thing I could think in that case as a benefit was less condensation on the glass in the morning, as putting thermopane in an R7 wall makes no sense for heat retention.

Isn't the sidewall in a Cedar Creek only around an R-9? It just strikes my curiosity that people swear by them that much. How much is the option on something with the amount of windows in a 30+ footer?
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:23 AM   #14

Mr H ... they are about a $1200 - $1500 option on full sized fivers. I can't dispute your R value claims especially in a tent style pop out ... all I can relate to is once you use an RV with dual panes ... your heating and cooling improves not just by seat of the pants, but looking at a temperature readout and duty cycles. You no longer have that dreaded condensation running down the inside of the windows while in cold weather with the furnace on (I know a dehumidifier will also work). You'll be amazed at how little you hear campground noise as compared to single panes that seem like an amplified mike. Just putting insulation on the inside of single panes makes a big difference if you do much winter camping.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:40 AM   #15

The dealer we are talking to told us $1000.00 for the dual pane windows
jjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 03:55 PM   #16

Don't have them now but wish I did. Had them in a '96 Bounder. I think they helped reduce outside noise but can't prove that without side-by-side instrument testing.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:08 PM   #17

I had dual pane windows in a Wildcat Sterling and they did not seem to help out with the sound, windows would still fog up. Too me there are not worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:13 PM   #18

Does anyone Know of after Market window covering to help reduce moisture an reduce heating cost. Camped 30 days 2014 and 45 days so far 2015 in a 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback I33. Will be out again late November spending Thanksgiving at Myrtle Beach. I don't want to replace the factory window.
PaPaJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:06 PM   #19

Save your money if you need to. I don't have them and to be honest did not know it until this thread kept popping up ,over and over. I have a 33IK and it is quiet without the dual pane windows. I guess I wonder if posters have had a CK without them and then one with. I just find my Silverback to be very quiet compared to my other RV without the dual pane windows, plus over time once the gas seal gives away they will fog up permanently...

I think the quiet comes from the insulation in the walls...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:09 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Save your money if you need to. I don't have them and to be honest did not know it until this thread kept popping up ,over and over. I have a 33IK and it is quiet without the dual pane windows. I guess I wonder if posters have had a CK without them and then one with. I just find my Silverback to be very quiet compared to my other RV without the dual pane windows, plus over time once the gas seal gives away they will fog up permanently...

I think the quiet comes from the insulation in the walls...

I think you are right, the insulation in the walls are what's important. I have a Cedar Creek and it would be nice to hear from Cedar Creek and Silverback owners without dual pane to see what they think

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote