Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2016, 03:26 PM   #1

Dual pane windows and other options

Still trying to get smart on Cedar Creek before placing an order for a 34RL. So I have a few questions on some of the options and features.

Dual Pane Windows - On a motorhome I had problems with clouding as the windows aged. I'm thinking that dual pane is probably not even need on a fifth wheel since it will have 2 AC units. Good option or waste of money?

50 Amp Power Cord Reel - Keeps the cord organized and available but seems to take up a lot of storage space. Yea or nea on this one?

Bathroom Sliding Door - On the one model I was able to visit the sliding bathroom door didn't provide much privacy and no locking feature. Is there more to learn about this type door or it just intended for minimal privacy?

Trail Air Hitch - I don't know the cost of this option but thinking I may get this. Any negatives on this?

Thanks All! And happy camping.
florabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:37 PM   #2

I would get the windows if me. I don't have them on mine. Would not own another camper unless it had air ride hitch. Put a different brand on mine. No comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:54 PM   #3

I would get the dual pane windows and the Trail Air hitch
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 04:04 PM   #4

I would get the dual pained windows and the Trail air hitch. I think I would also get the residential refrigerator and have it prepped for solar. I would get the microwave/convection oven. I would stay with the gas/electric hot water heater, it is a option now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 04:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I would get the dual pained windows and the Trail air hitch. I think I would also get the residential refrigerator and have it prepped for solar. I would get the microwave/convection oven. I would stay with the gas/electric hot water heater, it is a option now.

I totally agree with the residential refrigerator; does the solar prep include the panels and everything needed? Also, gas/electric hot water IMHO is the only way to go. Thanks.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:23 PM   #6

I just received new 36CKTS. Here's what I recommend:

DO get the dual pane windows. They are nice!

DO NOT get the cord reel! A) it is too flimsy to hold the anaconda cord, and B) they give it to you anyway (we didn't order it and we got it).

DO get the trail air hitch. It isn't enough for me, but every thing helps when towing

DO get the residential refrig, the 20 cu ft model. You will regret not doing this one.

Bathroom sliding door is just a 3 part sliding door. Works great. Not sure your question, it's a great shower and door. You do NOT want to lock a shower door!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 04:28 PM   #7

I like the cord reel, I fastened it to the floor of camper. It holds that 50amp cable. If you like I can take a picture of the reel screwed down in the basement

Old 05-19-2016, 04:33 PM   #8

I made a little mod on my Cedar Creek, I don't want to hijack your thread. The toilet paper holder is in the wrong place, this is a two minute modClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1463693581.351268.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	108362Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1463693599.594746.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	108363Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1463693612.250029.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	108364

Old 05-19-2016, 04:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post

Bathroom sliding door is just a 3 part sliding door. Works great. Not sure your question, it's a great shower and door. You do NOT want to lock a shower door!
I meant the wooden pocket door for the bathroom. It has a plastic strap to hold it secure when on the road. However, when closed it doesn't provide much privacy with a 2 inch opening across the bottom and no way to lock from the inside.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by florabama View Post
I meant the wooden pocket door for the bathroom. It has a plastic strap to hold it secure when on the road. However, when closed it doesn't provide much privacy with a 2 inch opening across the bottom and no way to lock from the inside.
Oh. Yes, that's true. I do not care for that door. I guess it's the one thing I didn't like. I am still thinking on how to 'lock' it or hold it securely while inside bathroom.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:54 PM   #11

We ordered our Sabre with the dual pane windows and are glad we did. Better when using AC or furnace and they help reduce the outside noise.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:59 PM   #12

If the door is closed the bathroom is occupied. Not to hard to figure out.
ba964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:10 PM   #13

Our 34RL came with single pane windows. We are going to frog rally and while there are going to have thermopane's installed.
50 amp cord reel.. couldn't live without it.
Bathroom door.. it is privacy and looks for us.
Remember that certain things you don't like you can do a mod to make it functional for you.
Kodiak Disc Brakes
97flhtcui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:22 PM   #14

Well I have had both now dual pane and single and I don't really notice that much of a difference in them..not a big deal to me.......
The electric reel has been renamed the hose reel... to me it was easier to coil the electric anaconda on the ground especially when its cold out then to reel it in....but I do carry a 75 foot and a 25 foot water hose so I reel in the 75 foot first since it is used least and then the 25 foot. makes it easy to reel in and get water out....
Bathroom door is no brainer....not like it is a public restroom...yes, if closed its occupied or at the very least give a holler before opening....if you are in there holler back or hold the door shut if someone comes in unexpectedly ....
My Steelpony....2007 HD Ultra Classic...done up in a memorial to the 343 firefighters who died 9/11
Never Ever Forget....yes I was a Volunteer FF for 20 years........
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:19 AM   #15

We like our dual pane windows I don't like that they do tend to fog inside but I think they do add a little insulating value. I like the hose reel. It does take up some space but we still have plenty of basement space with it in there. Don't mind the sliding door on the bathroom but it's just my wife and I so no real issues. Hate the 3 pane sliding shower door. Can't clean between the panes so we're planning to replace it.
5er - 2013 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Classic Champagne Touring Edition
Stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:38 AM   #16

As far as the dual panes fogging we had a few on our 2010 Cedar Creek do it but was lucky enough to have them replaced at the FROG rally, it did take close to year for approval I think they were going back & forth between Hehr and Cedar Creek. I have heard of folks that got them repaired but not sure of the process. We are happy with them and or standard on the new unit we have ordered.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:57 AM   #17

Dual pane windows = "big pain in the a--! You can bet the farm that they WILL have the seal break and fog up! This opinion is based on 5 years of owning an high end MH (Allegro Bus) and fighting window fogging for the last 3 years of ownership!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:22 AM   #18
wls

I love the dual pane, no more window sweating. Bathroom door if fine, just the 2 of us, plus we have the bath and a half. Shower door, no problem, wife put a curtain on it, covering the inside and outside. On-demand hot water, love it, wish it had a electric option. I have the manual electric reel, like it. Trail air hitch great option. We also got the electric heater up in the bedroom, great option. Other then that we have camped 16 days in it this year, everything has work great. We camped in low 30 degree weather, the fire place and extra heater did the work probably 80% of the time.
2008 Dodge 3500 Dually, Cummins. Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter, 36 Gal aux fuel tank. Mag Hytec Trans pan. Mag Hytec Diff Pan. 6 speed autostick. 3:73, Timbrens, Smarty JR. Equipped.
2016 Cedar Creek 38FB2, Hydra Star disc brakes,
400 watt Rich solar on top,200 watts of suitcase
wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:04 AM   #19

Two items that I notice that have not been mention and the dealer should provided them for you; are: One; is an option is a quick connect propane gas fitting and hose for using a gas grill outside. Two; is a swivel TV base support such as a MORryde swing arm TV support part No. TV1-006. This allows improve viewing of the TV from the recliners on the back wall. These were all dealer installed items that I required before the sale was completed.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:43 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemc View Post
We like our dual pane windows I don't like that they do tend to fog inside but I think they do add a little insulating value. I like the hose reel. It does take up some space but we still have plenty of basement space with it in there. Don't mind the sliding door on the bathroom but it's just my wife and I so no real issues. Hate the 3 pane sliding shower door. Can't clean between the panes so we're planning to replace it.
I do not like the 3 pane sliding shower door as well...so difficult to clean the glass and tracks. I did try spraying Wet and Forget on the glass, and it did clean it pretty well...
JoLee is offline   Reply With Quote