Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2018, 10:56 AM   #1

Electric sewer gate valves

Has anyone tried these? Thinking of installing one on my sewer and gray. Just wondering if anyone can give pro or cons to these powered units. Tired of my cable ones leaking and not closing all the way.
Doug Currie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:11 AM   #2

Great Idea.I am unable to crawl under the trailer to reach the handles so moved them to the back bumper. So far it works great but there is a lot of extra cable, an electric switch would be easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170912_133944 (002) (600x800).jpg
Views:	185
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	159366  
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:26 PM   #3

the fact yours are cable operated isn't why they are leaking. Changing to electric won't fix that, it will just give you one more thing to go wrong. Manual is better in some cases for durability.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:15 PM   #4

Installed an electric gate valve on the black tank no more leaks. Works fantastic. Plan to install on the three gray tanks this spring. Would never go back to cables again. After having 9 RV’s and everyone of them having leaking issues along with cable problems. Will never look back. Simple to operate and no more pulling on the handle hoping it would open. That is my three cents worth.
ttanous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
the fact yours are cable operated isn't why they are leaking. Changing to electric won't fix that, it will just give you one more thing to go wrong. Manual is better in some cases for durability.
I believe it's 100% related to the cables. They have to many bends and are not a clean direct shot to the valve itself. Cables really are not designed to push just pull. Either re route cables for less sharp bends or replace with electric valves. I'm leaning towards the electric valves
Old 01-01-2018, 01:39 PM   #6
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttanous View Post
Installed an electric gate valve on the black tank no more leaks. Works fantastic. Plan to install on the three gray tanks this spring. Would never go back to cables again. After having 9 RV’s and everyone of them having leaking issues along with cable problems. Will never look back. Simple to operate and no more pulling on the handle hoping it would open. That is my three cents worth.
Can you tell us or give us a link to which ones you used, I’ve been thinking about this too and agree the leakage is 100% cable related, there is too much give in them.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:51 PM   #7

We had a 2008 Royals International once with electric dump valves and I know from experience they work great when they do but they are a nightmare if they don't.
IMO, replace the cables, reroute if necessary, and lubricate the sheaths with a silicone based lubricant before you install them - 1/10 of the cost and less headaches down the road. If the cable ends are exposed protect them from road dust and moisture/rain.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:32 PM   #8

Electric sewer gate valves

DDC, here is the setup that I used. I had an RV repair shop put this in. You can get this just about anywhere. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1514838721.244672.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	159379
ttanous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 04:16 PM   #9

Sick of cables. Installed Valterra electric valve on black tank. One of the best things I've ever done. Not cheap, but works great. Those that make negative comments about electric valves have probably never tried one.
ba964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 04:40 PM   #10

I like the idea of the electric valve, my forest river 31ts 5th wheel also has a poor design on the black tank routing
Denny in Los Lunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:31 PM   #11

Replied on other post regarding this issue, had to replace my black cable as it broke. Also replaced one gray cable. Because it took 3 people to pull it, and the valve started leaking.

The cables being used are twisted cable. I replaced mine with solid wire cable pulls. I also found out that the valves were free moving without the cables. The leaking valve was not closing tight when pushed because the cable was jamming in the sheath. The cables were way to long and were not secured properly about 2 feet from the valve, as recommended by the manufacturer, but relied only on the valve body to prevent movement. This allowed the cable sheath to eventually pull away from the valve.

After properly replacing both, they can now be pushed and pulled with very little effort. Easiest ones I ever used on an RV. Wish I would have done the other gray.

Absolutely, have nothing against electric valves. If I ever would switch The Barker Auto Drain units look like the way to go all one piece.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich5117 View Post
Replied on other post regarding this issue, had to replace my black cable as it broke. Also replaced one gray cable. Because it took 3 people to pull it, and the valve started leaking.

The cables being used are twisted cable. I replaced mine with solid wire cable pulls. I also found out that the valves were free moving without the cables. The leaking valve was not closing tight when pushed because the cable was jamming in the sheath. The cables were way to long and were not secured properly about 2 feet from the valve, as recommended by the manufacturer, but relied only on the valve body to prevent movement. This allowed the cable sheath to eventually pull away from the valve.

After properly replacing both, they can now be pushed and pulled with very little effort. Easiest ones I ever used on an RV. Wish I would have done the other gray.

Absolutely, have nothing against electric valves. If I ever would switch The Barker Auto Drain units look like the way to go all one piece.
Where did you get and what brand of solid wire cables did you put in. Certainly makes better sense then the stranded cables. Are the solid wire cables still flexible enough to get up to your wet bay.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:21 AM   #13

Cables are meant for lawn mower chokes.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:52 AM   #14

Doug Currie, the original valves and cables were Bristol. Used Valterra solid replacement cables. There are two cable diameter sizes available, the Bristol valve required the smaller size, they fit right into the valve.

I lubed the valve sheath with Wd40 dry lube before inserting the cable. Rerouted the cables to get a shorter and straighter pull. They are flexible, I used the same hole to get them to the underbelly. I also attached them to something solid about 2 feet from the valve so the cable is not stressing the valve when pulled. I used a wooden clothes pin and the wife at the valve handle during installation to make sure the right length was maintained. Can literally open and closed the valves with two fingers, even when the tanks are full.

Not trying to change your mind on electric valves, they are really nice. Think cable pull valves are getting a bad rap because they are installed poorly.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Currie View Post
I believe it's 100% related to the cables. They have to many bends and are not a clean direct shot to the valve itself. Cables really are not designed to push just pull. Either re route cables for less sharp bends or replace with electric valves. I'm leaning towards the electric valves
yes it’s all about the convoluted path the mfg put in. finally gave in and went electric

2014 Coachmen Brookstone 325RL
2015 Chev Silverado 2500 Diesel.
ottawapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:19 PM   #16

I installed the Barker auto drain on my grey Bristol valve and the installed a new Valterra black valve and a Barker auto drain on my 3 in line last month. Love them. I did this because I snapped the cable on the black.
Kodiak Disc Brakes
97flhtcui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:03 AM   #17

Now that we have the valve thing put to bed let's talk tank sensors.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:15 AM   #18

10 gal of water in each tank before you travel will keep the sensors reading correctly.
Kodiak Disc Brakes
97flhtcui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:48 AM   #19

There is diffently a difference in quality/reliability of the sensors. Over the years I have had several RVs. I have had some that work great for years and others that really don't work with a crap from day one.
So this leads me to believe there are better sensor system out there. Anyone install after market sensors that work great?
Old 01-04-2018, 12:04 PM   #20
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Currie View Post
There is diffently a difference in quality/reliability of the sensors. Over the years I have had several RVs. I have had some that work great for years and others that really don't work with a crap from day one.
So this leads me to believe there are better sensor system out there. Anyone install after market sensors that work great?
Some folks here installed the Horst Miracle Probes and seem to like them.

Tags
electric, valve