Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2015, 07:37 AM   #1

Electrical problem

I have a 2016 Silverback 29 re. Last night my wife was inside watching the downstairs television while I was watching to outside tv. The basement door on the docking station area was closed. As I was watching the tv there was a quick buzz sound followed by a bright flash (like a camera flash) at the docking station side of the basement. Wife heard it inside and the dog even jumped up. I checked the area and did not find anything out of the ordinary. The only thing I found in the area of the flash was a wire harness which runs along side the drain pipe for the washer/dryer prep. no switches,outlets ect. The night was damp a lot of moisture in the air. I checked all appliances and outlets all work fine. Any ideas?
offduty11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:11 AM   #2
clr

This sounds like an electrical short to me. The bright flash is a key symptom of a hard short to ground. Of course the short probably burned itself free of the ground. The buzz was either an electrical device or a light short. The bright flash should have left behind a black burn mark where it shorted out. I would carefully work along the wiring harness paying special attention to where the harness crosses metal. If that does not produce the black mark it may have shorted between two wires inside the wiring bundle again looking for the black mark. Sorry I cannot be of more help.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:19 AM   #3

From your description it sure sound like a high voltage arc and spark condition. I would shut down the electric and locate the short, whether it's and appliance or wire. You could very possibly have a fire or shock hazard just waiting for the proper time and place. Good luck in locating the issue and be safe.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:26 AM   #4

Do you have a multi-meter? This is a very good instrument to use to track down electrical issues; like yours. I would start checking at each electrical outlet. I would also see if there are any fuse that have failed and/or circuit breakers that have trip in the fuse panel.

I would also check the battery connections next door in the battery compartment something may have shorted out there also.

Here is an instructional manual if you do not have one and do not know how to use one, if you do sorry that I posted this link.
How to Use a Multimeter (with Pictures) - wikiHow
Old 06-19-2015, 04:45 PM   #5

You have an outlet for your water heater behind your bypass valves on it. It's behind the cover where your docking station is. Just an idea. Not sure how the furnace is wired in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 04:59 PM   #6

It didn't trip a breaker? If not , I would definitely be looking for the problem.
Good luck
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 06:52 AM   #7

Just an electrical experience. On FORMER 2011 fifth wheel, had a bedroom slide out problem. Mobile RV Techs fixed it BUT when standing next to RV you could get a mild SHOCK! I panicked and took it to dealership and had 100% wiring check. I am electrically stupid! Issue was corrected.
What others are saying is soooo true. Find the source. It will NOT self correct. Until you can, check your emergency escape plan, smoke alarms and extinguishers for dates and know how to use them! SAFETY FIRST.
Electrical issues are EXTREMELY DANGEROUS in these RECTANGULAR BOXES!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:01 AM   #8

A 2016 is still under warranty, I would get back to the dealer right away to get checked out. This could very well cause a fire, or electrocution!!
shadetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:08 AM   #9
Site Team

One more idea. Do you have any lights in the area where the flash occurred? Sometimes when bulbs go they will cause the symptoms you saw. Check nay lights in the area.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical