Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2018, 05:01 AM   #1

Electricity

You plug you cord into the plug on back with 120ac volts. From the plug where does the power go to the camper first? The transfer switch or the fuse box?
behmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:41 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by behmke View Post
You plug you cord into the plug on back with 120ac volts. From the plug where does the power go to the camper first? The transfer switch or the fuse box?
If I understand your question, you are talking about a shore power cord and plug. If there is a transfer switch, it goes there first and then on to the fuse panel.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Since you offer no information on what kind of RV you are talking about I am going to assume you are talking about a trailer or a 5th wheel since that is the forum you posted in. If you have a transfer switch, that is where the cord goes to first. The transfer switch feeds the generator or the RV electric panel depending on which is needed. It is rare, to my knowledge, that a 5er or a trailer has a generator and a transfer switch but not out of the realm of possibility. Just trying to clear the air.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
. It is rare, to my knowledge, that a 5er or a trailer has a generator and a transfer switch but not out of the realm of possibility. Just trying to clear the air.
Not nearly as rare as you think. Many 5th wheels either have or are prepped for a generator (including the transfer switch).
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Since you offer no information on what kind of RV you are talking about I am going to assume you are talking about a trailer or a 5th wheel since that is the forum you posted in. If you have a transfer switch, that is where the cord goes to first. The transfer switch feeds the generator or the RV electric panel depending on which is needed. It is rare, to my knowledge, that a 5er or a trailer has a generator and a transfer switch but not out of the realm of possibility. Just trying to clear the air.
As previously said. The transfer switch is fed by the generator and shore power and selects which input (shore power or generator) feeds the rv electrical circuit breaker panel. Typically shore power is the default feed to the rv electrical circuit breaker panel with generator feed having priority (always switching to generator when generator power feeds the transfer switch).
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 03:32 PM   #6

Sorry...didn't post what I own. I own a Cedar Creek 36RD5S 5th wheel. It has a generator in it also.

So the shore power that plugs into camper the power goes to the transfer switch then to the electrical breakers and fuses? Or to the breakers and fuses then to transfer switch when you start generator?
behmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 03:44 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Sorry...didn't post what I own. I own a Cedar Creek 36RD5S 5th wheel. It has a generator in it also.

So the shore power that plugs into camper the power goes to the transfer switch then to the electrical breakers and fuses? Or to the breakers and fuses then to transfer switch when you start generator?
This link may help, as it explains what Scott and Bubbles have already stated:

https://www.rvtechmag.com/electrical/chapter4.php

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 03:47 PM   #8

Don't think you are reading the posts. Both power sources (shore and generator) go to the transfer switch (relay/contactor/what ever you want to call it) and then the output from the transfer switch to the rv circuit breaker panel. The transfer switch automatically switches between power sources with the generator having priority and when generator is not running the transfer switch automatically switches to shore power (default power source).
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 04:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Don't think you are reading the posts. Both power sources (shore and generator) go to the transfer switch (relay/contactor/what ever you want to call it) and then the output from the transfer switch to the rv circuit breaker panel. The transfer switch automatically switches between power sources with the generator having priority and when generator is not running the transfer switch automatically switches to shore power (default power source).
Click image for larger version

Name:	What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	187670
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 04:35 PM   #10

Quote:

It all goes through the transfer switch first in your case then to the distribution panel ..
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:28 PM   #11
Site Team

Are you sure you have a transfer switch? I'm not saying that you don't, but since you didn't say what year RV you have, I can't look it up and see.

On some units, YOU are the transfer switch. You have to plug the shore power cable into the generator receptacle or to shore power.

Tags
electric