Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2018, 10:12 PM   #1

Emergency (electrical); help please

I live alone in a Ceder Creek Cottage and all my electric is out. My RV guy and friend is out of town but just told me to find my converter to get the particulars from it so I can order one. Problem is I have no idea where it is located. Does anyone know where it is? I would be ever so grateful!!
Judy Wms. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:35 PM   #2

I'm not sure where your converter is but other things could be the cause. Do you know if your AC is out? ( Does the TV or other house hold appliances work? Or is it just 12volt stuff like lights. You may be better off calling a mobile RV service if you're not comfortable trouble shooting your self.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 11:03 PM   #3

Start at the power pedestal and check your connections, chances are something has come loose. Maybe the breaker at the pedestal itself. Your fuse panel is the next suspect, breakers and fuses are simple to check. Post a picture of your power distribution panel and we will try to help.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 11:05 PM   #4

Converter should not affect your 110v. Converter converts 110ac to 12v dc. Have you checked your circuit breakers? When re-setting breakers push to right and then back to left till it clicks in place. Does everyone around you have 110 AC?
Old 12-23-2018, 11:38 PM   #5

If all power is off, I will echo the advice to check the breaker at the power pedestal. Is the clock on your microwave off?

Converter is inside a rectangular panel, often under the refrigerator, pantry, or on an unused wall with space behind it. Usually black or dark brown. Can be opened either by pushing and releasing front panel or twisting a rectangular button with a slot in it. A dime often works as a tool to turn.

With panel open you'll see circuit breakers. The Main Breaker is usually the top one in the column. Also visible will be several fuses but these are all for 12 v side.

I have tripped the main breaker once or twice when running heaters on high and plugging in toaster or coffee maker. Look for a circuit breaker handle that is out of line with the others. Turn off then back on. Should now line up with rest and restore power.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 05:24 PM   #6

Did we figure out the problem?

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 07:04 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Posting a reply is nice, some wait to see if the first answers given have fixed the problem.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 11:18 PM   #8

Her world. We’re just living in it.
hillsvillehokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:28 AM   #9
edt

What was the problem
edt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 01:41 PM   #10

emergency help answer

I'm sorry I didn't answer all your posts right away. I'm new to all this. I am still in the same boat until my tech gets back to town in several days. My question to this forum was to ask if anyone knew where my converter might be. I still don't know that yet. I thank you for your help but that is apparently not the problem. I do have an extension cord running inside to power a light and to keep my and phone charged while the battery charger is on. My over head lights are running as is the light on the microwave but I can't use them until the problem is solved. I can use the heater a little too. Anyway, thank you for your suggestions.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:56 PM   #11

Overhead lights and heater are 12v so you are either running off your battery or your converter is working. Microwave is 110v so you are getting ac power. Have you found your circuit breakers yet? Have you looked for a GFI plug that may have tripped? If the microwave is lit up why can't you use it? Converters are mounted everywhere and I don't know your trailer. Look under the oven or refrigerator. Under the bed, behind a panel in the bathroom or bedroom. I don't think it's your converter but you do need to find your circuit breakers and check them. Good luck. Let us know your progress. No one can help if we don't know what you have checked and found.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:08 PM   #12

If the light is on at your Microwave we've established that you do have power coming in to the unit.

Look at all of your wall outlets for one that has two square pushbuttons in the center of them. One will be a "test" button and the other the "Reset". If one (the reset) is sticking out a little more than the other firmly push it in until you feel it "click". You may have to use something like a pencil (eraser end) gripped in your hand to push if you're fingers aren't strong enough.

Ground Fault Interrupters are usually near a sink in the bathroom and then feed other outlets in the living areas. They are prone to tripping for a myriad of reasons like plugging in a heater, etc.

As for finding the converter/power panel, keep looking for a panel that you can open by either pushing or turning a lock knob. Should stand out clearly once you are looking in the right place

Old 12-26-2018, 02:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
Overhead lights and heater are 12v so you are either running off your battery or your converter is working. Microwave is 110v so you are getting ac power. Have you found your circuit breakers yet? Have you looked for a GFI plug that may have tripped? If the microwave is lit up why can't you use it? Converters are mounted everywhere and I don't know your trailer. Look under the oven or refrigerator. Under the bed, behind a panel in the bathroom or bedroom. I don't think it's your converter but you do need to find your circuit breakers and check them. Good luck. Let us know your progress. No one can help if we don't know what you have checked and found.
Good post above.

If your overhead lights quit in a day or so, you have been running on the battery and it has died. If not, your converter is working and keeping the battery charged which will allow your 12v items (Lights, radio) to keep working. Microwave is definitely 110v as is your Air conditioner. Since the micro is getting power, the pedestal appears to be working and giving power to the RV.

RV's are different model to model where they mount the converter. Some have inverter/converters combined. Look for a panel that has circuit breakers and fuses. Generally it's brown and about 12"x10" and located places there is space that would otherwise be wasted. Often below the fridge, the bottom half of a cabinet, under the bed on one of the three walls of the bed support, sometimes under the sink in the kitchen or bathroom.

It will look something like this:

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...print/true.cfm

Let us know your progress and we can try to help.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:22 PM   #14

I just looked at a "Virtual Tour" of a Cedar Creek Cottage. Not sure if it's the same floor plan but If there is a "pantry" or "wardrobe/closet" just inside door with a Thermostat mounted on the wall of the hallway, look inside the pantry/wardrobe. Would most likely be mounted down low.

Old 12-26-2018, 03:39 PM   #15

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...on-129875.html

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:40 PM   #16

emergency help answer

Today I finally found the converter in an obscure place. The new converter has been ordered now and will arrive the day before my RV tech gets here. I am so relieved and thanks to all who tried to help. I got a better converter than the one that came with the trailer so hoping it will last lots longer.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:42 AM   #17

any chance of posting the location for others who might need the information?

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:25 AM   #18
D W

Been following this thread. Confused to say the least. Light on in the microwave, but can't use it? Ordered new converter?
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:27 AM   #19

If you have light at the microwave you have power. You say all electric is out. The converter has nothing to do with 120 volts. It provides 12 volts. Why would you buy a new converter you don't know what the problem is? if the micro has light why can't you use it. If you have overhead lights then the converter is working!!!!
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:42 AM   #20
Site Team

I'm guessing she may have meant that the light in the hood, under the microwave, was working. Sounded desperate for help but maybe not knowledgeable enough about systems to understand all the good advice offered here. Hoping she'll report back with outcome.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote