Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2018, 06:51 AM   #1

Enjoy your RV

We have been through it all over the years on our 3rd Cedar Creek now. Second one was totaled and truck also but we lucked out and found the used rig someone that lived close to us her husband died from cancer and we bought the rig.
We have been blessed to have traveled around the USA 3 times over the years.
On Dec 2016 I was having pain all over and finally went to my family doctor my platelet level was 19 I was sent to the hospital right away. Long story short I have acute lymphoblastic leukemia Philadelphia Positive . At that time my cancer doctor said without a stem cell transplant I had around 3 months to live.
I remember thinking WOW sure glad we took those trips around the USA and saw so many places such fond memories.
I was so far very lucky my older brother was a perfect match and Feb 22, 2017 I had a stem cell transplant. I am still taking chemo pills every day but my Leukemia is inactive so far.
I had the exact type of Leukemia that was caused by Agent Orange and contaminated Camp Jejeune Drinking water. I was exposed to both from my years in the Marine Corps.
Anyway point do not put off your travels do them when possible you never know what will happen.
We usually spend out winters in south Texas but the last two winters I could not because of my cancer treatments. Even though I am still under treatment we may be able to slip down to south Texas this winter for 3 months sure hope so.
Happy travels and take those trips NOW

Life sure is sweet in your RV
Medically Retired Marine Semper fi
Brucecav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:54 AM   #2

Bless you and thank you for the post, and for your service to Us.

For less serious but similar reasons, we are traveling over 200+ days a year.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:21 PM   #3

WOW, GOOD LUCK BROTHER,
I am saying the same thing to my wife right now. You dont know how long you have on this earth.

"Living the Dream" one year at a time.

Wannabretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:31 PM   #4

Thanks for the reminder and Thanks for your service!

Prayers sent for your health.
kfd82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:24 AM   #5

Thank you so much for the reminder, and a bigger thanks for your service to this great country.

I am blessed to be able to take a early retirement and for this very reason have decided to do so. We have sold the house and almost all our stuff, we started fulltiming 2 months ago and volunteering at a kids camp.

Your story is a reminder that life is precious and we should enjoy what we have and what we can share with others, bless you my friend. Prayers for many more safe travels for you in the future.
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:54 PM   #6

Thank you for sharing your story and recommendation to not put off living until later. I wish you the very best in your treatment and future travels.
Thank you also for your service. I'm retired military and spent 19 months in Vietnam only later knowing Agent Orange is some very bad stuff. Keep a stiff upper lip and charge on.
Nights Camped: 2017=61
Nights Camped: 2018=25
Nights Camped: 2019=12 | Booked=6
florabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:09 PM   #7

Thank you for your story and for your service. I'm very happy to hear the out come I hope you have many travel days a head of you. This is why we bought our rig early in life. We bought it in December and have 60 days planned this year. Not to bad for my wife and I working full time and our daughter in 4th grade.long story short live life day by day and make every moment count.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:31 PM   #8

Spend some time to get on the marrow/sct list of you are eligible... not many have a familial donor available. If you match someone, you can donate through blood (aphresis), which is easier on most donors.

After about 20 years on the list, I should find out soon if I am donating to a patient in need.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:24 PM   #9

Go to your VFW or get your records of when you were in country also Camp lejeune and put in for a disability claim. With Leukemia they will fast track your claim . They will also pay you retroactively to the time your claim was submitted . My best buddy did it because of lukemia and received 100% disability
His wife will also be eligable for death benefits . At 100% you may utilize Military RV parks commisary etc. It is worth your time if you haven't done it.
d
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote