Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2015, 09:12 PM   #21
JJA

I am familiar with escape windows, There are none in the bedroom, no red handles either. Realize, the window under the tv is about 12" half of that on the lower part cranks out about 2 or 3 inches. The top is fixed.
I will have an escape window/door before my next trip in December.
JJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 02:50 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJA View Post
I am familiar with escape windows, There are none in the bedroom, no red handles either. Realize, the window under the tv is about 12" half of that on the lower part cranks out about 2 or 3 inches. The top is fixed.
I will have an escape window/door before my next trip in December.
I thought that they all had to have one by the national code?.I think it's the IRVA or something like that...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:13 AM   #23

Both our Puma 5th wheels had / have an escape window in the bedrooms but it would take a lot less time to just go out the doors / & the propane tanks are under the bedroom There is no way two people would have time to clear the windows if there was a fire........The only way I see an escape window actually work is if the trailer was laying on its side on the door (s).

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:28 AM   #24

Unfortunately regulations will not save you. Ask people severely injured or families who lost loved ones due to the recent auto air bag fiasco!

As others have stated; check out your options and prepare.

First: attend an rv rally safety course.

Alternatives might include: high powered flashlight, fully charged.
( ours was $80 and will blind you at 50 ft! )

A FULL SIZED, fully charged fire extinguisher, handy in the bedroom.

Do not set front door DEAD BOLT at night. Use standard lock only. Doors can be kicked from inside out. Keep a small sledge hammer handy to strike the plate area.

It's NOT THE FIRE, it's TOXIC SMOKE INHALATION that knocks people out. Burning may be scary, but smoke will drop you like a rock!

If none of the above work for you, visit a fire station and ask for tips.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:31 AM   #25
CCRVOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I was one of the (Catcher/Helper) guys on the ground crew at the (Escape Window Seminar) that day! Glenn was waiting on me to Help install his Stained Glass Window,but Capt.Mike filled in due to My (Bad Back)! Youroo!! Thanks for telling Members about the Safety Seminar!
Your welcome and thanks for the assist for my "controlled" descent !
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB, 4x4, 3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20, TST507, Garmin RV760, Sleek 4g
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 1000w Solar, TriStar MPPT 60, Magnum 2000w, PI EMS, WiFi Ranger Elite, Sleek 4g, Wingard DTV Traveler
Retired Army in 1995, and now retired in 2016
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:41 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverbackMel View Post
A FULL SIZED, fully charged fire extinguisher, handy in the bedroom.
Probably the best advice in this entire thread. ^^^^^^^^^^

Get 2 or 3, 5 lb at a minimum, and make sure they are A/B/C. You should have one within close reach at all times. If you don't have room for 5lb, the small 2.5 lb ones they sell at Lowes and Depot will fit almost anywhere for storage. I keep 3 in a 25' hybrid and another outside along with one in the tow vehicle.

The small extinguisher the manufacturer mounts in your unit is essentially worthless. Its rated B/C for liquids and electrical fires only, because that's all it needs to be per DOT regulations. You would be lucky to extinguish a match with that tiny thing.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:41 AM   #27

In our Personal case all of our units have had (2) Exit doors plus a Escape window! If the RV MFG Stops using (2) doors as Standard,I think they should have a Option for the Second Door! We only have (1) Story units,I know (2) Story is a different issue! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:09 AM   #28

I replaced the original fire extinguishers with 4 pound Halon 1211 bottles.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:21 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I replaced the original fire extinguishers with 4 pound Halon 1211 bottles.

That's great, but I don't think many people are going to spend that kind of money for fire extinguishers.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:45 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
That's great, but I don't think many people are going to spend that kind of money for fire extinguishers.
I've seen 2.5 pound bottles for about $150. That should be an adequate size for an RV. Considering how effective these units are I think it's a good value.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:50 AM   #31

Quote:
I've seen 2.5 pound bottles for about $150. That should be an adequate size for an RV. Considering how effective these units are I think it's a good value.

Don't get me wrong, effective they are. But for $150 I can buy 5, 5lb ABC dry chemical extinguishers and 2 boxes of beer.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:52 AM   #32

For the fearful

Quote:
The original post was fear of fire based. My comment was directed to find a relaxation of fear anxiety. You cannot put a price on that. There are options. I refer back to training or visit a fire station. They either know or have had to deal with fire. No more, no less 😀
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:11 AM   #33

X2 on the Fire Extinguishers! I have a 5lb one mounted on the wardrobe slide in our bedroom and another in the living room. Sole purpose is to get us out the door, not fight the fire.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote