Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2021, 01:14 PM   #1

Extended warranty on new Cedar Creek Cottage??

Opinion please. In the process of purchasing a new 2022 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CCK and, of course, finance wants me to purchase a 4 yr. warranty that starts after manufacturer. I am settling into this unit so it will not be traveling after arriving mid-January. I do have a mobile repair person who works with extended warranties. Does this make sense??

Thanks
ccipuprzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 01:43 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccipuprzr View Post
Opinion please. In the process of purchasing a new 2022 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CCK and, of course, finance wants me to purchase a 4 yr. warranty that starts after manufacturer. I am settling into this unit so it will not be traveling after arriving mid-January. I do have a mobile repair person who works with extended warranties. Does this make sense??

Thanks
In my experience most warranties are not worth the money.

You'll occasionally hear a story or two from people that have had good experiences with them but they are few and far between.

It's really personal prefrence.

Take the money you'd spend on the warranty, put it in a savings account and add more every month. Then if something goes wrong, you have that money to cover it. If nothing does, then you're not out anything after 4 years.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 01:43 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccipuprzr View Post

Thanks
Probably would help if you posted cost and warranty company name.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 01:47 PM   #4

Don't know warranty name since I'm leaning towards NO. Cost $3200 with a $100 deductible each visit.
ccipuprzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 05:01 PM   #5

read the "fine" fine print. There are usually a lot of exclusions hiden in the fine print. I bought one and when I went to use it, there was an exclusion in some subparagraph, right next to a nuclear war exclusion, that excluded fastners (which pretty much excludes a lot of items). I figured out about the only thing that was really covered were (maybe, possibly) appliances. So (as stated above) best create a savings account for repairs.
lmiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 05:05 PM   #6

Large print giveth, small print taketh away..
1100mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 06:39 AM   #7

Well stated 1100Mike. I'm gonna remember that phrase.
USN 76-82
Retired Dept of Navy: Navy/USMC Flt Test Engineer
Splashes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 07:34 AM   #8
Site Team

I might be one of the few and far between. I paid $1800 for a 5-year extended service contract on my Wildcat. It paid out $4200 on 2 service episodes consisting of several repairs each.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 01:34 PM   #9

Look for a exclusionary type policy. This type list in print what's not covered. Much fewer surprises IMO. I have used Coach-net for several years and have allways had a positive experience. They offer several levels of coverages and deductibles. They include roadside with these policies. They also offer tire and wheel and other coverages. I did not purchase through the dealership which may save some serious money.
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 02:49 PM   #10
NXR

Note that THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN EXTENDED WARRANTY unless it is offered by the original manufacturer. The companies selling them like to call it a "warranty" because that makes people feel good, as opposed to the reality which is "service contract".

First, consider not buying one until your real warranty is about to end. The factory warranty is always primary so if you buy a 5-year extended service contract at purchase you effectively wasted the first year of coverage, making it 20% more expensive than you thought.

Ask your finance person about this and watch them squirm.

Second, go through the pile of product manuals you will receive. Several items have 2-year warranties, such as our Dometic (Atwood) air conditioners and our Norcold fridge. With the Ford V10 chassis we got 3 years/36,000 miles of warranty but I do not know what the V8 warranty is. In addition, Ford provided 5 years of a Roadside Assistance plan. Again, the manufacturer's warranty is primary so a 5-year extended service contract bought at purchase could really only be three years for some things.

Ask the finance person for the list of what equipment is covered for how long by the equipment manufacturer after one year. They likely won't know but they should. And you should build that list after your purchase.

Third, if you buy one, buy an "exclusionary" extended service contract. Those list what is NOT covered instead of what is covered. But some major things are not covered, such as structural issues.

I looked long and hard at one in 2019 from Wholesale Warranties, their best plan, for a new motorhome. It was under $5,500 if paid up front for 7 years of coverage and transferrable to a new owner or cancellable for a prorated amount. I was sorely tempted.

I did not buy it because I am fairly handy but someone who always has to "call the guy" could make a good case for buying it.

I did buy the Tire and Wheel Road Hazard plan from Wholesale Warranties for the motorhome, though. It was about $525 for 7 years, about the price of one tire. I recently started a claim due to a screw in the tread and their carrier confirmed they would pay up to the retail price for a new tire and associated costs if the tire was junk. Fortunately the screw did not actually penetrate the tire so all it cost me was the $38 the truck shop charged me to dismount the tire, inspect it, check it for leaks, and remount the tire. If they would have plugged a hole the policy would have paid me $30.

And then I just had (at least) two of the Lippert/HEHR vent windows fail. Fortunately they are under a recall. Whew. ��

When would I consider an extended "warranty" on a new unit? When it's not really new but lightly used or being sold because the people who bought it can no longer use it.

Forest River and some of their vendors ONLY provide warranty services to the original purchaser. If you bought an RV that the original owners had for one week and never used, YOU HAVE NO FACTORY WARRANTY AT ALL.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-23-2021, 07:10 PM   #11

We bought the extended warranty. I don’t remember the term but it was about $2,000-$2,500. We don’t normally buy extended warranties but for this thing we did. The Cedar Creek warranty on the Cottage is on-site, since they’re designed to be delivered and setup. So you want to see if the extended warranty includes on-site coverage.

2021 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CRS

Victron MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50 Solar installation
SacRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cedar creek, warranty