Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2018, 05:31 PM   #1

Fabric wrap underneath slides

The fabric wrap under my door side slide has worn completely through at the back, leaving the wood floor exposed to weather. I have noticed that the wood at the edge gets wet during a rain, and I’m concerned about the long term impact on the wood. Anyone had this issue and found a fix?
Thanks!
Carroll

2020 Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
2011 Ford F250 Superduty Powerstroke
cbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:10 PM   #2

I had a blowout (china bomb) that tore out the fabric and part of the sub floor under our refrigerator. I used a piece of thin rubber roofing I had and stapled it in place than covered the whole thing with a roll of Flex Tape (great stuff). 2000 miles later still not leaks.
10Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbari View Post
The fabric wrap under my door side slide has worn completely through at the back, leaving the wood floor exposed to weather. I have noticed that the wood at the edge gets wet during a rain, and I’m concerned about the long term impact on the wood. Anyone had this issue and found a fix?
Thanks!
Carroll
That is a very common problem on this forum, what happened at the end for a fix if I remember right, new fabric and they installed plates and ROLLERS, seam to end that problem, you can probably do a search it was about 3 or 4 years ago, i think it was prime time maybe.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:27 PM   #4

If you dont get the ends covered your going to delam or buckel that slide floor, just from the raw edge, get it taken care of or paint it or use some sealer til you can get it done.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:34 PM   #5

If the wood base of the slide starts to swell due to water it will eventually damage the slide and the slide mechanism, including the motors. Last year I had my Cedar Creek in to Amish Family RV for some factory approved warranty work. While there the owner, Orvan, made mention of this problem and although my slides were not showing the type of wear that you describe, he did recommend that I had the slide edge drip protectors installed. It wasn't hugely expensive and should hopefully prevent any future problems. Unfortunately, I don't know if this is something RV dealers would offer or if it is just peculiar to Orvan and his business. Either way, I'm happy that I had it done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4719.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	173904   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4720.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	173905   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4721.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	173906   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4722.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	173907  

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch333id View Post
If the wood base of the slide starts to swell due to water it will eventually damage the slide and the slide mechanism, including the motors. Last year I had my Cedar Creek in to Amish Family RV for some factory approved warranty work. While there the owner, Orvan, made mention of this problem and although my slides were not showing the type of wear that you describe, he did recommend that I had the slide edge drip protectors installed. It wasn't hugely expensive and should hopefully prevent any future problems. Unfortunately, I don't know if this is something RV dealers would offer or if it is just peculiar to Orvan and his business. Either way, I'm happy that I had it done.
Having same thing done on all my slides this week as well. I think you can order them thru Orvan or another dealer - that's the impression I got from Denise.

I also think the reason for the wear is the slide adjustment, so you may want to get that looked at. My passenger side slide was putting alot of weight on the piece of plastic that is there for it to ride on when coming in.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:53 AM   #7

subscribing....

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 02:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
subscribing....
X2
Old 05-30-2018, 03:27 PM   #9

Exclamation

My unit was back at the factory having some work done and they put some screws through the vapor barrier and tore some sections out.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Benjamin Franklin
Bigruh36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:29 PM   #10

Exclamation

My unit was back at the factory having some work done and they put some screws through the vapor barrier and tore some sections out.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Benjamin Franklin
Bigruh36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:18 PM   #11

My slide fabric was damaged the first year I had the trailer in 2012. The leaf springs were to weak and caused the tire to hit the bottom of the slide. I replaced the springs and sprayed the underside of that fabric with a spray on truck box liner similar to rhino. Going on 6 years and seems to be holding up very well. Easy quick fix in my case.
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
Having same thing done on all my slides this week as well. I think you can order them thru Orvan or another dealer - that's the impression I got from Denise.

I also think the reason for the wear is the slide adjustment, so you may want to get that looked at. My passenger side slide was putting alot of weight on the piece of plastic that is there for it to ride on when coming in.

Orvan did my slides as well
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide