Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2015, 07:42 AM   #1
Camp-N-Nut

Faded front cap

Does anyone know how long the warranty is for the front cap? I have a 2015 Cedar Creek 34RLSA and the cap if faded already. I know that mine is currently under warranty but just wondering about the replacement cap. I'm sure they will replace it with a new cap that will fade in a year too. Very disappointed in my Cedar Creek. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1443012112.606470.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	293.5 KB
ID:	89655Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1443012132.229148.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	89656
Old 09-24-2015, 08:20 AM   #2

You are not alone........
kinzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:42 AM   #3

Same here on a 2014 34 RLSA. The Cedar Creek warranty "fix" of sanding, buffing and using a UV sealing wax does not work. You will be wasteing your time, the dealer will be waisting his time doing this, believe me. Looked good for about 45 days then all oxidized again. I am still trying to get something done.

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:48 AM   #4

On my first Creek the front cap faded and dealer said the fix that Cedar Creek wanted to do would not work. I traded that camper for another Creek and this one has not faded, knock on wood

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ret2006 View Post
Same here on a 2014 34 RLSA. The Cedar Creek warranty "fix" of sanding, buffing and using a UV sealing wax does not work. You will be wasteing your time, the dealer will be waisting his time doing this, believe me. Looked good for about 45 days then all oxidized again. I am still trying to get something done.
I hope you meant UV sealing urethane/clear coat and not wax. It needed to be clear coated and not waxed.
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
On my first Creek the front cap faded and dealer said the fix that Cedar Creek wanted to do would not work. I traded that camper for another Creek and this one has not faded, knock on wood

What year and model do you have?
keith52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:44 PM   #7

32RL 2015

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingnut View Post
I hope you meant UV sealing urethane/clear coat and not wax. It needed to be clear coated and not waxed.
Exactly, the UV sealer was a wax "sealer". I contacted someone I know who is in R & D of one of the major car care companies that formulated the product used (sorry I won't say what company it was), he said it would be a short term solution. If the gel coat was badly oxidized and every bit of oxidation was not sanded out then it would most likely start to oxidize again and using a sealing wax would only slow it down a bit. The sealer would have to be applied very often like every month. Had I known this before I drove 350 miles round trip to the dealer to get the Cedar Creek "fix", I would have refused. It was a total waste of time and money for me, the dealer, and Cedar Creek.

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:44 AM   #9

This seems to be a problem across the Forest River lines. My Forest River/Prime Time Crusader has been fading not long after I bought it. I just found out lately that they are repainting newer trailers (less then two years old) but not older ones. My trailer is a 2012 so they knew there was a problem but continued to build trailers with the fade problem. I asked why not fix their mistake especially with original owners but was told "Nope". It's a shame you spend your hard earned money to buy a product and the manufacture builds an inferior product.
southernsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsky View Post
This seems to be a problem across the Forest River lines.
This is an industry-wide problem.

Bruce
Old 09-25-2015, 09:52 AM   #11

Class action lawsuit time. Every brand has fading issue of some degree or another.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ret2006 View Post
Exactly, the UV sealer was a wax "sealer". I contacted someone I know who is in R & D of one of the major car care companies that formulated the product used (sorry I won't say what company it was), he said it would be a short term solution. If the gel coat was badly oxidized and every bit of oxidation was not sanded out then it would most likely start to oxidize again and using a sealing wax would only slow it down a bit. The sealer would have to be applied very often like every month. Had I known this before I drove 350 miles round trip to the dealer to get the Cedar Creek "fix", I would have refused. It was a total waste of time and money for me, the dealer, and Cedar Creek.
Well I am not sure what my dealer put on after polishing it but it sure seems like some sort of a clear coat not wax. It was done last fall and has lasted longer than the original. I have no fading at the moment.
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:53 AM   #13

Mine looked just like that. Took a few pictures of it and sent them to the dealer in Huntsville and they had the painter that does all their repair jobs to repaint the cap and clear coat.
I went out and talked to the painter himself (who had YEARS of fiberglass experience) and he said it was a common issue with that color paint on those models. He used a better paint and clear coated it. Looks good. Did not cost me a dime. Original warranty is for a year, if I'm not mistaken, for outside finish.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:22 AM   #14

I have been trying to get an answer from Corporate Service Dept. on this issue. They claim a new formula gel coat has been in use starting with the 2015 models. Doesn't sound like that's working out too well. They told me they would only cover the fading issue during the term of the warranty. No mention of painting the cap. I know that the only real cure is to seal and paint the fiberglass cap. The gel coat will not hold up. I have gone through this with my 2011 grey SOB fiver. First the front cap was painted. The manufacturer paid for this. It was 2 years old. Then the rear cap went bad. I paid for that as it was almost 5 years old. It cost almost $2,200 to paint both caps plus the cost of new decals. I really want to buy a new Cedar Creek but I'm not willing to pay an extra $8-10,000 for full body paint so as not to have to deal with this fading mess in a year or two. Cedar Creek can't guaranty that this won't happen. Almost all of the major manufacturers have now gone to painted caps on similarly priced products to eliminate this concern. Until Cedar Creek decides to paint theirs, it's NO SALE for me. You can rub and polish until the cows come home. The fading will be back. I wish they would wake up! End of rant.....
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 01:20 AM   #15

Problem is not unique to Forest River or the color brown. Brands that have a grey color also fade. In fact the white ones fade, it just isn't as noticeable. Also, having something painted, doesn't mean there will not be problems. The auto industry has spent billions over the years repainting peoples cars. I took my 2014 CKTS to Lazy Days in Tucson this spring they took care of getting the authorization from Cedar Creek and repainted the front cap. Don't be to quick to turn your back on Cedar Creek I have met people that own other brands that have not had any help at all from there manufacturer. One thing about the fading that surprised me was how quickly it happens. I had waxed mine in November and there was no fading. In February the fading was starting to show.
wanderer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:06 AM   #16

Fixed my fade on the 2015 Silverback!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1443357810.767141.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	90002
Won't be having that BROWN FADE in my future AGAIN!
Met at the factory with Denise Davis a week ago. 2nd fade. I was FORTUNATE to have the option of the 2016 lighter cap because my recommended repair facility in Goshen discovered the fade the second time AND there was a 2 week delay in getting a brown cap. So, we opted for the only extra OYSTER cap the factory had on hand! Just luck!
Know that SILVERBACK does NOT have the brown rear cap. So, our decision was easy! Love the look and issue resolved for me!
Denise stated that FR will stand behind the warranty even slightly past the deadline of your warranty AS LONG AS YOUR ISSUE IS DOCUMENTED AND ON RECORD WITH FR.
BTW, we were told the process has changed for new production BROWN caps which SHOULD mean a better experience over time!
We made the trip from Atlanta because we had a list of issues needing attention. Factory could not see us in their shop prior to mid December. She recommended; Anita at RCI WAVE; overflow repair right next to the fairgrounds in Goshen.
They put SCOTT AND JOHN on my unit for 2 full days, 7am till 4:30pm and did a SUPER JOB for us!!
Yes, the trip was well worth it!!
Gotta do what'cha gotta do!!
Any more info needed, please PM me.
FR has been very good to us! S--- happens in a build. Components are deficient and the build is on a track as you know if you have ever been there.
Kudos Denise!! FR and buyers are lucky to have you aboard!!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:34 AM   #17

Dropped out Crusader off at the dealer yesterday to have the front cap painted. In my opinion that is the only real fix is base coat clear coat paint job. Ours was about a month out of warranty when we discovered the fading and dealer jumped right on it and got it covered under warranty. I would push for painted with clear coat.

Camp as often as we can
Steven379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:31 AM   #18

I'm taking my wildcat to elkhart in mid october to have the front cap painted and the rear cap either painted or reskinned it has been a long procces but finally got them to agree and got it scheduled in
they acknowledge that there are problems had a factory servic rep look at my unit and said he has never seen a back end so bad as mine is as my grey unit now has a half white back
good luck to all that have this problem

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 11:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer69 View Post
Problem is not unique to Forest River or the color brown. Brands that have a grey color also fade. In fact the white ones fade, it just isn't as noticeable. Also, having something painted, doesn't mean there will not be problems. The auto industry has spent billions over the years repainting peoples cars. I took my 2014 CKTS to Lazy Days in Tucson this spring they took care of getting the authorization from Cedar Creek and repainted the front cap. Don't be to quick to turn your back on Cedar Creek I have met people that own other brands that have not had any help at all from there manufacturer. One thing about the fading that surprised me was how quickly it happens. I had waxed mine in November and there was no fading. In February the fading was starting to show.
Trying to be pro-active. I could not get a commitment from Cedar Creek regarding painting the front and rear caps WHEN they started to fade. I have called and talked to both the sales departments and customer service departments. I understand that other manufacturers have had the same problem. In my opinion the only real cure for this is to paint the caps. Several other manufacturers must agree as they now paint theirs as well. As much as I'd like a new Cedar Creek, if the caps aren't painted..NO SALE. I'm not willing to take a chance that they might paint it when it goes bad.
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:14 PM   #20

I just got my Sterling 5th wheel back from FR in Oregon, my front cap was fading badly, My dealer sanded and sealer the cap and 2 months later it was fading again. I contacted FR directly and he told me that if i brought it to them they would fix it. I drove 5 hours each way. They decided to replace the cap. No the issue that i am having....I hear that you can not just clear coat the cap you have to paint and clear. I guess that i just wait and see if it fades. what would you do?
MMattox is offline   Reply With Quote