Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2019, 10:06 PM   #1

Fifthwheel road side advice

Currently we have a very well maintained 2011 Ceader Creek Silverback 29rl. We do have road side on our insurance policy on everything we have with wheels. My dw works at our insurance company and we are cose with our agent and she is having a hard time finding literature on what actually covers the rv. I want to know we aren't going to be screwed on the road somewhere. So basically i would like to have recommendations for good coverage for fifthwheels.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:59 AM   #2

If you're just looking for tire/tow coverage, I've used Good Sam. Cheap. If you're looking for Extended Warranty; another issue.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:01 AM   #3

Yea just road side i would imagine a 2011 is to old for a warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
If you're just looking for tire/tow coverage, I've used Good Sam. Cheap. If you're looking for Extended Warranty; another issue.
Rusty
Old 10-18-2019, 07:32 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I guess I don't understand the original question...
You have roadside coverage now but the agent (with whom you are close with and your DW who works there) doesn't know what the coverage is?

I'm not sure we can answer that question.

If you are looking for an alternate roadside assistant plan, this has been discussed ad nauseam here and a search will bring up lots of opinions.

*HERE* is one such search.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:34 AM   #5

We've used AAA RV Plus and Good Sam and frankly they are about the same when it comes to service and price. And I really cannot give either a 5 star rating....maybe 3 at most.

Most of my experience, unfortunately, has been with Good Sam. We've had a few times we needed to call for tire replacements and mainly towing. Service is not fast as they rely upon 3rd parties companies. We've waited 4+ hours for a tow truck. We've had times when they sent a flat bed truck to haul my pickup and RV and we're told that we'd have to leave the 5er alongside the road. UGH. Recently son needed a jump start as was told they would be there at 12:30 and it wasn't until almost 2 that they arrived.

I've also HATED how Good Sam renews. They give better rates to new customers than old so I always find myself letting coverage lapse so I can get the better rate. Hate that game.

I still keep the coverage for peace of mind but just know that when you need the service, it will test your patience.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:42 AM   #6

Thanks to all the responses. I will read through the past threads and also do some research and digging. I know any tow company isn't fast or great to deal with we just dont want to be stuck d.o.a
Old 10-18-2019, 08:34 AM   #7

We have and use Good Sam. Ran out of fuel this year in Idaho (diesel) and GS was there with 5 gallons within 30 minutes. We were in a rural area on the interstate with 2 small towns nearby and they still helped.
PS: who knew that after you cross the border from UT into ID on I-84 that there are no fuel stations for 89 miles? I made 84 of those miles. Lesson learned.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:52 AM   #8
Always Learning

Good Sam, CoachNET, AAA, and insurance companies all contract out to local service providers. People have a good experience when the roadside service can find a provider and that provider comes with the proper equipment. I like RV roadside services because I hope they understand that my combination is 30,000 lbs. and a little tow truck won't work for us.

People have bad experiences when the roadside assistance can't find a contract provider or that provider has their heads up their bums.

Unfortunately, you're at the luck/mercy of what they find.

I've had good experiences with Good Sam roadside assistance. I have friends who were stranded by them.

I've read of good experiences and war stories with CoachNET.

I seem to read of more war stories than good stories of AAA for RVs.

Insurance-based roadside assistance is usually less talked about.

Personally, I think having any one is better than nothing. I know they were able to find me a mobile auto tech to change leaf springs on a Sunday when I came up empty handed with calling around. BUT, the whole process took a good 6-8 hours from the time of first call to when I rolled off. Had I been on my own, it would have been 24+ and still probably ended up with an expensive tow.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:02 PM   #9

We needed GS Roadside assistance twice in our many years having them....and BOTH times they failed us miserably.....the last time we had found a mobile tech who was already 2 hours into the repair when they called us back. The didn't even know what a 5th wheel was. Their tech was over 60 miles away, wanted big $$ just to show up.....we have Coach Net now.
USN 76-82
Retired Dept of Navy: Navy/USMC Flt Test Engineer
Splashes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:14 PM   #10

When it come to repairs i will be doing those i am a ASE master technician so i can handle trailer repair. I do keep enough tool to get me out of trouble. My main concern would be towing in a worse case scenario.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiels7 View Post
Thanks to all the responses. I will read through the past threads and also do some research and digging. I know any tow company isn't fast or great to deal with we just dont want to be stuck d.o.a
CAA in Canada have been great for RS service...However , when in US and a call is made back to Canada and transfered to AAA in US I have waited 5 hrs+ for someone to change a tire on my RV....
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 04:44 PM   #12

According to my Insurance Agent, roadside assistance for my TT is provided by my Tow Vehicle coverage. If I have roadside assistance on the Tow Vehicle, I also have it for the TT.

When you think of it sounds logical. What's the difference in changing a tire on a TV or TT? If the TV needs to be towed, so will the TT.

I think the only consideration might be whether or not the TT is insured by the same Co as the TV but that's just my mind chewing it over.

To get the real answer it sometimes takes an actual letter to the Agent with the request for a written reply. That kind of forces them to check with the people at the company for an answer and that often comes in written form.

Phone calls are more convenient in this day and age but if a problem ever occurs there's nothing as good as a written document with an answer telling you "it's covered".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 04:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
CAA in Canada have been great for RS service...However , when in US and a call is made back to Canada and transfered to AAA in US I have waited 5 hrs+ for someone to change a tire on my RV....
Problem with all roadside assistance programs is they usually only "dispatch" companies that they have contracts with. Often the contract terms provide very low levels of compensation and a lot of operators refuse to work that cheap.

This means that even though you might break down a mile from the nearest tow/roadside assistance company, the one that will be dispatched could be from a town 20 miles away as they are the closest CONTRACTED provider.

This of course varies from company to company and area to area. However it's not an unfamiliar story when it comes to AAA (and others).

My vehicle insurance merely reimburses me for expenses incurred up to their limits for amount or tow distance. ANY operator can provide the service.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:21 AM   #14

Roadside assistence

No one mentioned Allstate. I have had them for 20 years. Originally signed up through KOA. I have had my autos towed many times but only 5th wheel once. They towed the 5th to a local campground and my truck to a repair facility using two tow vehicles. Also changed two flats in one day. Never any extra charge for service. One time on a holiday night, They had a hard time finding a service provider but did after offering them more money. I feel they have always provided me with good service.
jayandmarji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:03 PM   #15
CCRVOC

We have had Good Sam and Coach Net and I will not recommend either of them. We had very long wait times for their service and in one instance they could not get anyone there until the next day. We currently have AAA Premier RV and fortunately have not needed to call them.
miles on CC - 2011 = 6035; 2012 = 14779; 2013 = 9066; 2014 = 5263; 2015 = 11179; 2016 = 5869; 2017 = 7290
rockfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel