Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #1

Finished up my PI surge protector and PD converter\Charge Wizard install

It took me all of a six pack and two days after work to install the units but Man O' Man they look slick sitting in the electrical bay all lined up with no sawdust and wood shavings around like the manufacturers leave behind. The remote's had to be engineered as to where they will mount inside the coach, but other than that it was so easy a Caveman could do it.. After spending a half hour swilling a Jacks on the rocks, watching my remote display fire out volts, hertz and amps, and ZERO errors I'm a happy camper. It's kinda cool seeing what electrical accessories draw what current on which line. 50amps use Line 1 and Line 2. Basically two 120v together but not tied to eachother making 2 120V lines 50amps.
Cool chit eh?
Major Kudos to all that helped with info on this project. Next one will be replacing the pin box with a 5th Airborne or TravelAire.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
It took me all of a six pack and two days after work to install the units but Man O' Man they look slick sitting in the electrical bay all lined up with no sawdust and wood shavings around like the manufacturers leave behind. The remote's had to be engineered as to where they will mount inside the coach, but other than that it was so easy a Caveman could do it.. After spending a half hour swilling a Jacks on the rocks, watching my remote display fire out volts, hertz and amps, and ZERO errors I'm a happy camper. It's kinda cool seeing what electrical accessories draw what current on which line. 50amps use Line 1 and Line 2. Basically two 120v together but not tied to eachother making 2 120V lines 50amps.
Cool chit eh?
Major Kudos to all that helped with info on this project. Next one will be replacing the pin box with a 5th Airborne or TravelAire.
That's awesome Rattle! I installed mine last weekend. What got me the most, was I bought a 3' section of #6-4 power cord(flexible multi-strand) and was $5.79 a foot! I could have gone with something a little less flexible, but they were sold out. Let me know how the new pin box works out for you.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:28 PM   #3
Owner/Operator

I purchased 50' of 6/4 SOOW, chopped off 3 feet for the Surge Protector install, and made a 47 foot power cable that weighs less than the OEM Power Cable, and is a LOT more flexible. The 47 footer rolls up nicely on a MorRyde Stor Mor power cable reel.

I ordered mine from here:

soow | eBay

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #4

Good to here you are happy with the install. I got my EMS-HW50C in the mail yesterday. My new 36CKTS is plugged into a 30 amp box. I plan to do the install this weekend. I hope I'll have no issues connecting the EMS 50 amp using a 30 amp service. Did you wire it before the converter or after?
BoatDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatDude View Post
Good to here you are happy with the install. I got my EMS-HW50C in the mail yesterday. My new 36CKTS is plugged into a 30 amp box. I plan to do the install this weekend. I hope I'll have no issues connecting the EMS 50 amp using a 30 amp service. Did you wire it before the converter or after?
Before converter.

You'll be fine plugged into 30 amp after install is done.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #6

A piece of advice if I may.

The instructions say to cut all the wires to the same length. That's not really correct. The wires come in near the side of the box. The ones you're connecting close to that need to be shorter than the ones which have to go to the other side. And the neutral that doesn't go thru the current sensors needs to be a bit different length than the lines which do. With 30-amp wire, it may be easy enough to compensate with bends. That's tough with 50-amp wire.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #7
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
A piece of advice if I may.

The instructions say to cut all the wires to the same length. That's not really correct. The wires come in near the side of the box. The ones you're connecting close to that need to be shorter than the ones which have to go to the other side. And the neutral that doesn't go thru the current sensors needs to be a bit different length than the lines which do. With 30-amp wire, it may be easy enough to compensate with bends. That's tough with 50-amp wire.
Absolutely correct Barry. And for those that might be wondering, or not know, the length of the wire lengths on the AC (110V) circuits are not critical as they are on the Battery wiring.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #8

I think someone once said... " No pictures = it didn't happen"...

2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #9

I will be using 50 amp or #6 wire. I've seen people used 50 amp quick disconnect plugs to make it easier to wire up and to remove if EMS is faulty. Did any of you use the quick plug style connections?
BoatDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatDude View Post
I will be using 50 amp or #6 wire. I've seen people used 50 amp quick disconnect plugs to make it easier to wire up and to remove if EMS is faulty. Did any of you use the quick plug style connections?
IMO, those plugs are a good point for failure. They're just spring-loaded metal on metal. They probably get hot. Certainly not like the major tight clamp connections made elsewhere on the wires.
(I know the moon is near-full. I can see the result at other forum threads. I said "IMO". Please don't flame me.)
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:39 PM   #11

The converter has nothing to do with the PI surge protector. I just happened to replace the converter 'cause the WFCO unit was moaning like a whore in heat when initially started. The PI surge protector tied directly into the #6 cable from the rear of the trailer. I disconnected it at the distribution box and cut the lengths as described in the instruction manual perhaps a tad longer cause there's plenty of room to bend the wiring a bit with needle nose pliers, then screwed down the 'input' side in place. I added 4 ft of # 6/3 wire to the output of the protector and cut & trimmed the end to match what I pulled from the distribution box. The extra length enables me to put it back to stock configuration when I eventually send The Beast down the road and find an attractive position in the compartment to mount it without it looking like Amish installed it after an all night bender.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Cool chit eh?
I did my 30 amp yesterday , and will be asking next yr probly, about replacing my WYFCO box and a different charging system, may be also an inverter,waiting for two reasons $, the WYFCO in our TH is new, and will hopefully work well for a while.
Good job ! Sounds like you had a good time with this install !
Rolling buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #13

I had a great time. I took my time, had the radio in the garage blasting Rock N' Roll and thought then re-thought each step before cutting into anything. Some projects are a drag, this was just plain fun.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #14

Quote:
I had a great time. I took my time, had the radio in the garage blasting Rock N' Roll and thought then re-thought each step before cutting into anything. Some projects are a drag, this was just plain fun.
That is awesome. Hard to believe that we can all be so happy after doing all of that work, spending that time, and the only thing that we get out of it is to see that silly little box with LEDs on it just keep "blinking" different letters and numbers......and you will get the same feeling from now on when you see that oh-so-wonderful E-0
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote