Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2018, 10:14 AM   #1

Fixed Antenna on Champagne 38EL

We are considering mounting a fixed DISH antenna on top of our rig. When I climbed on top of the roof and looked there is a decal that says 'drill beneath here to mount King antenna'. I will contact customer support but I thought I would ask here as well: must it be a King antenna or can I mount this one, which is a Wineguard:?

https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-SK-1...nna+roof&psc=1
captacoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:46 AM   #2

They are wired for a King which means that two cables come from the King to two separate dish receivers, one in the Living room and one in the bedroom which feeds the exterior through a modulator. If you use the Winegard, then you can only feed one receiver which I'm sure would be the main in the LR. You could use either Dish or Directv. I would guess you could find a way to connect the two wires. In 2018 CC intended for you to use The King. I assume you have three TVs that are operating off your air antenna?
2017 Ford F350 SRW CC SWB 4x2
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k Hitch
sh1pper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh1pper View Post
They are wired for a King which means that two cables come from the King to two separate dish receivers, one in the Living room and one in the bedroom which feeds the exterior through a modulator. If you use the Winegard, then you can only feed one receiver which I'm sure would be the main in the LR. You could use either Dish or Directv. I would guess you could find a way to connect the two wires. In 2018 CC intended for you to use The King. I assume you have three TVs that are operating off your air antenna?
Thanks for the information. I actually have only two televisions as I took the outdoor one out and put a stereo in there. Do you have any recommendations for a good King fixed antenna?
Old 08-15-2018, 11:56 AM   #4

So customer support indicated they believed either antenna would work. I did notice that the Winegard antenna is wired for up to three televisions.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:54 PM   #5

Point to consider... campsites with tree cover in the southern facing exposure, or camper that requests a shaded spot might not be able to get a satellite signal with a fixed dish or even one that can rotate on the roof.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by captacoustic View Post
So customer support indicated they believed either antenna would work. I did notice that the Winegard antenna is wired for up to three televisions.
The Traveler has to have a third wire (power) in the pre-wire. I doubt CS was correct about this particular antenna. As mentioned by the other poster, the King tailgater can be used as a portable to give you more location possibilities. If you decide to make it permanent, they offer a kit that will let you mount it on the roof.
2017 Ford F350 SRW CC SWB 4x2
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k Hitch
sh1pper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:24 AM   #7

What sh1pper said... the King gives you the best of both. The roof mount (hardly noticeable flat profile) the King can be attached and ride in a permanent fashion, or if site demands more precise positioning it easily unhooks to be moved to another location. You just screw on the extender cable. Don't forget your ladder!
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna