Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2018, 11:11 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Thanks and I know we keep asking about the thickness of the wood and what's on top but these are really important questions.

One, if it is truly only 1/4" thick plywood, I would have much concern.

1/4" plywood isn't thick enough for a sub-floor and certainly not across the spans (aluminum framing) we see in the photo. The only thin wood material I've ever seen for flooring was that which is bonded to a foam core top and bottom. Not an ideal floor but comes in at about 1-1/2" to 2" thick. Typical plywood floors are 1/2"-3/4" not 1/4"

Two, when asked what is on top of the crack... we are referring to what is actually inside the rig at that spot? A bed? A dresser? The bathroom?

If your floor is 1/4" thick and you can actually touch the underside of the carpeting through the crack, you have what I'd describe as, MAJOR issues.

We are simply trying to get a good grip on what is actually going on with your floor.

Got it, thank you!! I’ll take some measurements tonight and get back to you. Thank you SO much for the info/help!!!
Gr8Dane777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:18 AM   #22

Wondering if you could fill in the cracks with something like liquid nails construction adhesive or equivalent. I would think it would be as strong as if it was all wood. Fill gap in, then clean up with a putty knife.
kamper00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:36 PM   #23
Just as confused as you

I would guarantee you the floor is 5/8" tongue and groove. Look on Cedar Creeks web site, click on features and scroll down to Cedar Creek Construction Floors & Underbelly R-Value (R-45*).

The black material you see in the crack is not your carpeting. Do not worry about it. It is most likely the same as the sub-flooring in your brick & mortar home.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:38 PM   #24

The plywood on mine has a spray painted label that says the thickness.

When I use a step stool to crawl inside the storage compartment, I can see the label on the underside of the floor. A flashlight helps.

I forget what thickness mine is, but maybe 19/32".

If you can find a label, that is the best and easiest way to know the thickness. You can also measure the depth of the crack with your choice of measuring device.
2024 Winnebago Minnie 2327TB B&W Continuum Hitch
racer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:39 PM   #25

Seems normal. It's probably A/C plywood. You're looking at the C side.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:20 PM   #26

I would get a good wood epoxy (like the two part epoxy) and fill it in, I would then use 1x4's or 2x4's a foot long and glue (use a good wood adhesive) them across the crack every food or so, to keep the boards tight against the floor until the glue dries use some of the extra wood to brace between the ground and the bottom of the camper, once it is dry you will not have to worry about it.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:23 AM   #27

Gr8Dane777, I have the same rig that you have. If you remove the heat vent cover in the bedroom you can measure the thickness of the subfloor. I removed mine a few weeks ago to vacuum out the duct. I did not measure it but I did discover that the linoleum flooring in the bathroom and hall, and entire rig is also under the carpet. That means when carpet gets to looking bad I can just pull it out.
As far as the crack goes. As stated previously, not a big deal. Ply wood layers like concrete can crack, but it does not necessarily effect its integrity. That is why the layers are cross grained. Fill it with some good power grip (liquid nail) and put some wood spanning it. Dealer will probably not do anything about it. If they do, that is what they will do. So is it worth the hassle. Not to me, mine only goes to the dealer if it is warranted and something I can not fix myself.
2008 F350
2017 CC Champagne 38EL
2006 Salem Sport 32 SRV Toy Hauler (still have)
brusso is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor