Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2020, 04:29 PM   #1

Floor is rotting out

I purchased a 2019 Forest River Cedar Creek NEW,However it is 2!/2 years later the bedroom slide plywood is rotting away. it appears the water is coming down the outside hitting the molding going behind it and seeping into the plywood flooring,has anyone else have this problem it looks as if they changed the design this year as well as what there using on the slide bottoms.
BOB3288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 05:34 PM   #2

Rotting floor

We have a 2017 38EL. Same problem. Seems to be a chronic issue at least with CC. I saw a article someone posted for a Landmark same issue. Poor sealant at the slideout flange. I'm going to replace my floor this spring with marine plywood.
karpcbk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:16 PM   #3

Sadly a fairly common issue with FR bedroom slides. The trim flange is usually not sealed well on the assembly line and water runs behind it and eventually swells up the outer edge of the bedroom slide floor. My Silverback did this as well. Welcome to RV ownership. If you've traveled alot in wet weather and put your slides in and out while on the road, you may find the main flooring near the edges of your kitchen slide are puckering as well. Residual water runs off the roof while retracted and soaks into the edges of the main flooring.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 12:53 AM   #4

We bought a preowned 2018 36CK2 and saw the beginnings of the bedroom slide rot problem. Fortunately we were aware of the issue and dealt with it ASAP. Cleaned off any loose sealant on all the slide fascia and prepped it with denatured alcohol. Sealed everything up with Pro-Flex Clear. Did the same on the 2 main slides. No more water leaking into the floor. I check the slide floors regularly with a moisture meter and "knock on wood", things are dry at this moment.
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:37 AM   #5

It is a common problem as some of already said, if you can travel to have it repaired ( I know it's a lot to ask for ) but out near the factory get it repaired at Amish Family RV Service, Orvan is probably the BEST and has done this repair before and without removing the slide. Plan a trip or vacation for the repair lot's to see and do in the area and I bet you will be very happy after your visit.

Amish Family RV
11681 N 600 w-57, Topeka, IN 46571
Hours:
Closed ⋅ Opens 6AM Mon
Phone: (260) 593-0951

Here is a YouTube link of someone getting the repair

dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 08:10 AM   #6

All the paper work states check and reseal if needed evert 90 days.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:21 AM   #7

Someone in another forum mentioned that Orvan's (Amish RV) was now using a High Density Polyethylene instead of the plywood shown in the You tube video. Has anyone use this product.
Old 12-06-2020, 04:04 PM   #8

great fix

I fixed my rotting floor problem Wirth a sub flooring product called Avantech. It is a waxed base particle board . First make sure the leak is fixed, then replace the floor. worked great. I had trim carpenters do mine. Product will not absorb moisture.
3 amigos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:08 PM   #9

Rotting Floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB3288 View Post
I purchased a 2019 Forest River Cedar Creek NEW,However it is 2!/2 years later the bedroom slide plywood is rotting away. it appears the water is coming down the outside hitting the molding going behind it and seeping into the plywood flooring,has anyone else have this problem it looks as if they changed the design this year as well as what there using on the slide bottoms.
Yes, it's a common problem that the RV manufactures don't warn about and for which many dealers are not aware of the source of the leaks. They only recommend keeping the roof seams sealed.

The leakage comes in through that walls of the slide outs where the decorative flanges mate with the RV walls. Even small voids in these joint seals allows water to seep in and work in around the screws into the plywood flooring. The attached photo shows the flanges that attach to the slide walls.

To check for leakage you need to get access to where the slide floor mates with the slide outer wall on the inside. The problem will appear as discolored or rotted plywood. I had to pay a dealer shop over three thousand dollars to remove my bedroom slide and replace the floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200130_135333.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	305.9 KB
ID:	244217  
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:09 PM   #10

slide out roof seal

Adding a slide out awning I found the eternabond came loose on roof outer wall, water draining down the wall, no damage though, you think they would have used decor first then eternabond, but oh no, they are not going to wait a day for that to dry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1994.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	244220  
Daniel.mullins4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:28 PM   #11

I had a Heartland 5th wheel with a rotted bedroom slide floor. I bought it in the winter and it seemed solid, but when everything thawed it was rotten...it was frozen solid from all the water!
To fix, I extended the slide all the way out and took off the aluminum exterior trim. I then took 2 10 foot 2x4s, placed one on each side of the slide box. I then carefully jacked up on the bottom of the slide floor with a short board and a floor jack. Then marked and drilled the locations of the screws holes where the aluminum went into the slide box onto the 2x4s with them sitting on the ground, like long table legs. I ran screws through the 2x4 legs and into the holes for the now removed aluminum trim. That allowed me to take the slide floor out and replace it without any pressure on the floor rollers.
I have some pics somewhere.
agpopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:13 AM   #12

This appears to be the product used by CC on my trailer and by Amish RV on the video.(Dyna Slide) It has a laminated part on the exposed side. Been nice if they used something like a marine grade plywood, then we wouldn't have as much risk to rot.
file:///C:/Users/m1cbk01/Downloads/Dyna_Slide_Tech_Sheet_20_yr%20(1).pdf
Old 12-10-2020, 01:21 PM   #13

Had a CC 29RE and had a leak in bedroom slide along the long edge....Water got behind moulding at a couple spots....unnoticable---from outside I was able to fix floor by adding a piece of plywood on top of existing floor
BUT......
When we got to our seasonal campsite for the summer my wife nearly fell thru the floor by kitchen table.....Floor was rotten!!!! Other slide also had moisture in floor under fridge!!! After an insurance claim of $987.00 I traded it in for a CC 33ik.......Construction of slides have changed!!! Seem to have corrected the problem plastic sheeting under the slides......Will watch it very close especially under warranty period!!!!!! Had dealer check and re caulk all seams on new 5er...Old 5er was only 5 years old-purchased new
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 02:29 PM   #14

Slide Floor Rotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpcbk15 View Post
This appears to be the product used by CC on my trailer and by Amish RV on the video.(Dyna Slide) It has a laminated part on the exposed side. Been nice if they used something like a marine grade plywood, then we wouldn't have as much risk to rot.
file:///C:/Users/m1cbk01/Downloads/Dyna_Slide_Tech_Sheet_20_yr%20(1).pdf
It's very suspicious that that design concept is very poor and all the RV manufactures are copying each other. Perhaps it could be deliberate design obsolesce. They could make their RVs last for many years but maybe they don't want to. It helps the dealers get more repair work and causes people buy new RVs. What do you think?

Excuse me for sounding a little jaded but the owner manuals are very vague about sealing and, despite the fact that I have been in the dealer shops numerous times where they convinced me to get my roof resealed, they never recommended sealing the seams in the outer walls. The way I finally found out about the slide floor rot problem was when I saw water on the floor and then found a large rotted areas in one slide. The other slide floors also had some damage but I caught them in time. It's a widespread problem and I doubt most poor, hapless RV owners know about it.

Since I posted my incident, I am seeing more and more threads in the blogs on the problem. Hopefully the awareness to the problem is on the rise. And hopefully the dealer shops and the manufactures are picking up on it.
Old 12-10-2020, 02:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerjohn7 View Post
It's very suspicious that that design concept is very poor and all the RV manufactures are copying each other. Perhaps it could be deliberate design obsolesce. They could make their RVs last for many years but maybe they don't want to. It helps the dealers get more repair work and causes people buy new RVs. What do you think?

Excuse me for sounding a little jaded but the owner manuals are very vague about sealing and, despite the fact that I have been in the dealer shops numerous times where they convinced me to get my roof resealed, they never recommended sealing the seams in the outer walls. The way I finally found out about the slide floor rot problem was when I saw water on the floor and then found a large rotted areas in one slide. The other slide floors also had some damage but I caught them in time. It's a widespread problem and I doubt most poor, hapless RV owners know about it.

Since I posted my incident, I am seeing more and more threads in the blogs on the problem. Hopefully the awareness to the problem is on the rise. And hopefully the dealer shops and the manufactures are picking up on it.
Agree X2...All RV's are junk!!!!! Made to last a max of 10 years!!!
Old 12-14-2020, 10:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpcbk15 View Post
Someone in another forum mentioned that Orvan's (Amish RV) was now using a High Density Polyethylene instead of the plywood shown in the You tube video. Has anyone use this product.
I had Orvan use that when he did our bedroom floor in Nov. now it is covered for the winter
69 gal Aux transfer tank
MCA01462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 10:27 AM   #17
Going Solo

YES! Our 2012 Brookstone bedroom floor completely rotted through. The slide is low, so the 'sagging' went unnoticed until I happen to be sitting in a chair closer than usual to the slide. Looked over and what a shock. This model had extensive water leaks throughout our ownership. First repair, under warranty, was seal issues. Second repairs, AFTER warranty and $2000 later, we were told there were NO seals. The leaks were hidden, could not be seen. The layout was such that we never walked on the carpet under the closet/TV area, didn't know it was wet. By the time we saw the sagging floor it was too late. This didn't happen overnight either. The shop did some kind of pressure test. The Coachmen/FR service VP/manager was quite rude and rather condescending. I will never buy another FR/Coachman product again. Jayco, baby, all the way!
tjwdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 01:44 PM   #18

Rotting floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwdj View Post
YES! Our 2012 Brookstone bedroom floor completely rotted through. The slide is low, so the 'sagging' went unnoticed until I happen to be sitting in a chair closer than usual to the slide. Looked over and what a shock. This model had extensive water leaks throughout our ownership. First repair, under warranty, was seal issues. Second repairs, AFTER warranty and $2000 later, we were told there were NO seals. The leaks were hidden, could not be seen. The layout was such that we never walked on the carpet under the closet/TV area, didn't know it was wet. By the time we saw the sagging floor it was too late. This didn't happen overnight either. The shop did some kind of pressure test. The Coachmen/FR service VP/manager was quite rude and rather condescending. I will never buy another FR/Coachman product again. Jayco, baby, all the way!
Sorry to hear about your floor rot but even if you switch to Jayco, don't let you guard down. Make sure the seams in the slide outer walls where the decorative flanges mate with the main walls are kept well sealed. I have a 2017 Jayco Precept and the same thing happened to my because no one advised me to check these types of seams since it was new. I kept the roofs seams sealed well but they I discovered water on my floor and found the outer portions of my slide floors had water damage.

All the major RV manufacturers use this same slide wall flange and floor attachment scheme. Water seeps in at the flange seams and works its way down to the screws securing the edges of the floors. It takes time but the water wicks around the screws and starts soaking the wood.

I have attached a couple of photos; one of the wall seams that can allow water to seep into the floor and one of how bad my Jayco floor was. This floor to be totally replaced; over three thousand dollars.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200130_135333.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	305.9 KB
ID:	244641   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201018_163935.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	347.3 KB
ID:	244642  
Old 12-15-2020, 03:16 PM   #19

Our new CC 33ik has plywood (treated I think) for the slides.. Exterinally under neath this plywood is a sheet of ridgit plastic approx 1?8" thick and the ends seem to be sealed much better...Perhaps they have learned their lesson ...I think this was a common problem as I saw a number of sheets at our dealer this past summer near the parts department.....
Old 12-15-2020, 04:06 PM   #20
Going Solo

Wow, that looks as bad as mine did. So, I want to make sure that the rubber seal does not get 'folded' into the slide/RV wall, that it remains flush when the slide is out and to check around the Inside carpet flooring area for wetness on a regular basis.?. I have a 2012 Jayco Greyhawk, purchases used. It's very solid. I've owned it for a year and no complaints, well, maybe I'd like a few more bells and whistles, but, I am very pleased with the construction compared to the Brookstone fiver. And I get it...there is a big difference between the two. Wonder if I should use some kind of silicone caulking around the screws or if that might interfere with the slide operation. My roof looks good. I'll get it resealed every 2-years and a good inspection annually. Thanks!
tjwdj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor