Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2021, 06:07 PM   #1

Forest River Cedar Creek Warranty work

Hello, I'm in the process of selling my old fifth wheel and am considering purchasing a Cedar Creek 5th wheel. However, the service department at my local dealership has a horrible reputation. I have used an independent RV shop for several prior repairs and have been very happy with their service. Can anyone provide guidance on how successful they have been in using an independent shop to do warranty work on their Cedar Creek (In terms of getting Cedar Creek to approve the work)? The Cedar Creek is so far our favorite, but I won't go with a Cedar Creek rig if Cedar Creek is going to force me to use them, or another FR dealer, for service. Thanks for any help you can provide.
BigCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 10:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCamper View Post
Hello, I'm in the process of selling my old fifth wheel and am considering purchasing a Cedar Creek 5th wheel. However, the service department at my local dealership has a horrible reputation. I have used an independent RV shop for several prior repairs and have been very happy with their service. Can anyone provide guidance on how successful they have been in using an independent shop to do warranty work on their Cedar Creek (In terms of getting Cedar Creek to approve the work)? The Cedar Creek is so far our favorite, but I won't go with a Cedar Creek rig if Cedar Creek is going to force me to use them, or another FR dealer, for service. Thanks for any help you can provide.

You're going to hear this a hundred times after this post. If you are anywhere close to Indiana or are willing to make the trek to northern Indiana there is an independent shop called Amish Family RV in Topeka IN that is the nationwide authority on Cedar Creek RVs. The owner, Orvin Fry is the best of the best on Cedar Creek. Take your Creek to him and I and many other here will attest to the near flawless service and repair work he and his crew does. The Trip is worth it, he does book out well in advance due to his popularity among Cedar Creek and Riverstone owners.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycruiser View Post
You're going to hear this a hundred times after this post. If you are anywhere close to Indiana or are willing to make the trek to northern Indiana there is an independent shop called Amish Family RV in Topeka IN that is the nationwide authority on Cedar Creek RVs. The owner, Orvin Fry is the best of the best on Cedar Creek. Take your Creek to him and I and many other here will attest to the near flawless service and repair work he and his crew does. The Trip is worth it, he does book out well in advance due to his popularity among Cedar Creek and Riverstone owners.
Everything that Daycruiser says is true. Orvan is the best of the best. He is roughly 140 miles from me while my dealer is about 20 miles on the way to Amish Family RV. Yes he is busy and you will need to schedule in advance though sometimes Jolisa (his daughter) can get you in sooner. Once I get an appointment I leave home the day before about 7am and get to his place before he closes at 2pm. He calls me the day before he is about to finish and I do the same thing again.

My dealer does OK and their work is good but Orvan can get you in and out in a day or two (a week at most), whereas my dealer will hang onto my unit for a month and still not get everything accomplished. Not the dealer fault per se as they can't always get the parts as fast as Orvan.

Also Orvan will find things that need correcting while the dealer will pretty much just work on your list. Orvan worked at CC for 17 years before he opened his own shop and he is very conscientious and won't point out anything that doesn't need fixing. Orvan will talk to you on the phone and give you some recommendations to an issue you might be having.

My first trip to him was in Nov 2019 and was due to the factory sending me there for warranty issues. He has 3 bays to work on units while the factory only has one for warranty work. That first trip he corrected 36 warranty issues and did 18 enhancements. I took it back in June 2020 for additional warranty work, some maintenance and more enhancements. My plan is to return to him on a regular basis.

Some of those on the forum have even set up to pick their unit at the factory and first thing take it two miles to Orvan and get everything fixed before they use it. Food for thought.

To answer you question, most likely you can use any reputable shop to do you warranty work, but I would first contact the factory for the proper procedure.

I think you will enjoy a CC.

Welcome to the forum and good luck.

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 12:00 PM   #4

Just take your rig to Orvan before your warranty expires, and he will go over your rig and put the repairs thru warranty. I did. Best move to make.
wayne272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 02:19 PM   #5

We are one of those that picked our 2019 CC from the dealer in Ohio (we live in MD, this is our 2nd CC) and drove straight to Orvan. Orvan said ours was one of the better units he had seen (being brand new) and he still found $1000 worth of fixes - many which wouldn't have popped up for a few years down the road. He also spent a good deal of time adjusting 2 of our slides.

We have an appointment with him this July(for some repair work, normal maintenance, and maybe a mod or two)....which we made last Nov.....we just didn't want to have to drive the 630 miles (each way) during the winter months.
USN 76-82
Retired Dept of Navy: Navy/USMC Flt Test Engineer
Splashes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 07:57 PM   #6

I agree with all of the above but to address the op question... I'd call the Cedar Creek service department and directly ask is your local service provider is set up to do direct billing warranty work.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:00 AM   #7

I purchased my Cedar Creek in 2015 and my local dealer which has been great for warranty and repair work on my trailer. The dealer is located in northern IL on the outskirts of Chicago in Frankfort IL. Most of the time the trailer is in and out of the dealership within a week when repairs are required.

Tags
forest river, warranty