Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2019, 09:05 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGolfBum View Post
We have been hearing more and more negatives about Forest River. Many say Grand Design is better. Also many say that Forest River doesn't have good customer service from a factory standpoint in regards to comments or issues with the product. They state Grand Design is involved if contacted instead of a dealer. We have owned our Forest River Cedar Creek for 3 years with no issues. Next few years we will be looking for a replacement and like your advice. Thoughts?
We have a 37’ Georgetown 378xl and there is so much wrong with it it to much to write the list we have tried to get help but that does work it was three years old when we bought it. So now we just tell everyone not to buy forest river. To late for us but we will make sure no one else buys one.
Berta12angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:10 AM   #62

FR's corporate HQ office, though I'm not sure how that is germane to the discussion. Without making a judgement, simply stating facts, my business experience has shown that quality & customer service is exceptional when it is embedded in company culture, regardless of whom you talk to.
Hobobach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:19 AM   #63

Our Forest River support experience

Greetings!
My wife and I own a 2016 Sunseeker 3050S. Just before the start of the second season when we opened it up to get it to the dealer for the spring checkout we found several leaks.
To make a long story (about a year) short, The factory supported us and paid for all the repairs needed including water damaged materials inside the unit. They also covered some minor things that were not directly related to the water leaking issues.
It has been a year since the last repair and no leaks to date. We do have it inspected annually and pressure tested for leaks. the $100 cost is cheap compared to the cost and hassles of leaks and water damage.
I will say that we did have a problem getting things going but we spoke with the head sales rep at the Hershey RV show in September and he helped to make sure that we were satisfied customers.
johnscub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:05 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobobach View Post
FR's corporate HQ office, though I'm not sure how that is germane to the discussion. Without making a judgement, simply stating facts, my business experience has shown that quality & customer service is exceptional when it is embedded in company culture, regardless of whom you talk to.
Having recently retired from a large corporation, I totally agree with you re corp culture. It comes from the top.

In my experience, most (but not all) FR employees, regardless of their job/title, will "own" a problem until they find the right person at the appropriate FR factory to resolve. And factory folks who are less that helpful eventually get replaced.

In this case, I think the question is germane in that you're asking HQ to advise on status of something at a factory. True, HQ can assist with engaging someone the factory, but why not eliminate the middleman and ask someone directly at the factory? It will be helpful in the long run to establish a relationship with someone at the factory.

FR does a great job of publishing contact lists for each brand/factory on their website. I'm sure someone can help with finding the list for your brand but you didn't say what brand you have.
david-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:26 AM   #65

Just to let u know my 1 and only experience with Forrest River... Our first purchase is one of those live and learn experiences. You would think FR would at least perform a thorough inspection of their product. But no, they released to the public a half baked product which I purchased. After traveling with it to California (800 miles from home), the park I stayed in happen to have a small dust devil pass through and pulled one end away from the trailer siding. After inspecting the installation. I discovered the support rail at the back end was installed with some sort of puddy... not a single fastener was holding it down. At the direction of Camping World in Anthony Tx that I followed their instructions very closely and was assured that I would be full reimbursed because there were no CWs in the immediate vicinity and naturally with a awning held on with duct tape, I took it to the Lance dealership and had it repaired. The did a great job and the bill came out to almost $300. When came to getting reimbursed (another lesson learn), FR would only allow about $150 and CW failed to reimburse me the total as they promised. So just be aware, neither seem to live up to their word. I bought a brand new XLR Boost toyhauler 2018. Still have and have fixed nearly all the problems that should have been caught during QA inspection. Apparently we have perform our own inspection for a rather expensive toy.
PapaHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:45 AM   #66

I don't have a dog in this fight, for the last 6 years I have owned a trouble free Keystone trailer. In the Fall I will be purchasing our retirement trailer and have narrowed the choices down to a Rockwood or an Imagine. We have been doing our research for about two years spending a lot of time on the Blog sites and Facebook sites for both units. So here is my opinion, when GD first started out their quality was excellent with the warranty to back it up. Since they have been bought out by Winnebago it appears to me that their quality has slipped. Their warranty service still seems to be above average. This conclusion has come from the amount of complaints that I know see on the internet sites.
Forest River has issues as well, but has much fewer complaints. The Rockwood brand have fewer than the Imagine. Their service seems to all over the places based on what unit you purchased. Some being great and others poor. So for us it is going to boil down to buying a trailer that might have an issue with average warranty service or a trailer more likely to have an issue and good warranty service. In our opinion the Rockwood is the better choice. Plus they have a second slide out in the bedroom that the Imagine doesn't have. In addition the Imagines had a terrible carry capacity and we dry camp a lot so that was an issue for us. I think they have addressed that issue somewhat but it still doesn't compare to the Rockwood model that we like. That's our thoughts.
Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:36 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by david-o View Post
Having recently retired from a large corporation, I totally agree with you re corp culture. It comes from the top.

In my experience, most (but not all) FR employees, regardless of their job/title, will "own" a problem until they find the right person at the appropriate FR factory to resolve. And factory folks who are less that helpful eventually get replaced.

In this case, I think the question is germane in that you're asking HQ to advise on status of something at a factory. True, HQ can assist with engaging someone the factory, but why not eliminate the middleman and ask someone directly at the factory? It will be helpful in the long run to establish a relationship with someone at the factory.

FR does a great job of publishing contact lists for each brand/factory on their website. I'm sure someone can help with finding the list for your brand but you didn't say what brand you have.
Really? Please... the original post question was "thoughts?". I gave my factual, documented experience (and my brand/model in the title). That's all. We're going down the path again where it's somehow the owner who isn't doing the correct thing. My obligation, as well as FR, is explicit in the Limited Warranty Towable Products Recreational Vehicles By Forest River Inc. (who is the "Warrantor", see line 5) not the factory. Anything else is conjecture, lecture and a dance around expecting a product that is fit for purpose and use, and service per the contract. Perhaps all RV owners should reference their warranty and stop expecting less (or making excuses for an industry that has a "history"). Done here.
Hobobach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:45 PM   #68

Forest River vs. Grand Design?? I've read 8 pages of this and not once has anyone challenged the premise.

Forest River vs. Grand Design is analogous to saying "General Motors vs. F150".

If you want to discuss Forest River vs. Winnebago, do that. If you want to discuss Cedar Creek vs. Grand Design, do that.

But figure out what you're comparing, if you want a true comparison.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:11 PM   #69

Lacrosse 3299se

We have our unit for 2years 6000 miles and 1 Jack quit, that is the only problem ,we love this unit but I didn't like the way semis bother me when driving but I put a Hensley hitch on it and that stop 99 per cent of sway.right now I will stay right where we are.
gityup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:07 PM   #70

Some days you should not get out of bed...
CRA Member
kgailtighe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:17 AM   #71

If Forest River was as bad as some are saying, they would be out of business instead of booming like they are. There are infinitely more people who are satisfied with their RV's (and just don't post) than those who are unhappy. Frankly, a lot depends on the price line (not saying that expensive RV's don't have their share of issues, but as a generality I believe there are less issues), use/abuse, and maintenance. Forest River, Winnebago, etc., all built the same. Which is better; Ford or Chevy? All the same.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:45 AM   #72

The Cedar Creek factory has been very very very good to us. I have often thought of buying a new Cedar Creek maybe next year but with all the changes that are being made I’ll just keep what I have. I’m not getting a dually or a new truck unless I wreck this one. So I’m limited to how big a camper I can tow. I have always liked the 36CK2 but with all the changes that’s being made I’ll keep what I have. I like the rear cap and it’s gone, I have heard the curved ceiling is gone. I have heard the top is flat plus the top doesn’t dip down at the back. Anyway there is nothing wrong with my Cedar Creek. The TrailAir pin box that I added on later doesn’t work real great but not enough to change. I’m getting rid of the stacked washer/dryer that I installed and having Orvan put the drawers back in, DW never did like the washer/dryer. One day when my Trump King size mattress needs replacing I’ll install a Queen size mattress so I’ll have a little more room in the bedroom. Anyway way I heard that Cedar Creek was coming out with some new models and maybe let you option in some things like the rear cap so I’ll never say never but should something come along that we like better we will definitely look but it will have to be a Cedar Creek. We won’t change brands because like I said the Cedar Creek factory has been there for us. Service after the sale means something to us
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:39 AM   #73

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGolfBum View Post
We have been hearing more and more negatives about Forest River. Many say Grand Design is better. Also many say that Forest River doesn't have good customer service from a factory standpoint in regards to comments or issues with the product. They state Grand Design is involved if contacted instead of a dealer. We have owned our Forest River Cedar Creek for 3 years with no issues. Next few years we will be looking for a replacement and like your advice. Thoughts?
There will, as expected, good and bad within any brand/model of RV. The last thing I would do when considering the purchase of any of them is to completely rely upon "reviews" and social media posts. People usually post negative comments when they are very unhappy with a product, often before the problem is resolved. I do, however, tend to take some of the posts and comments under advisement, keeping in mind that such discussion threads end up being a "poll without a poll". In other words (as an example), if I post a question to ask which is better... Ford or Chevy, there will invariably be a bazillion answers, many based upon what folks own. If 55% say "Ford" and 45% say "Chevy", should I buy a Ford based upon that? People tend to be proud of what they own, and are not usually as prone to speaking/posting ill of same.

Back to FR vs. GD (that abbreviation could be taken as a negative ) RV's, one will easily find all sorts of comments for and against both. Bear in mind that many problems are not resolved in a proper manner by dealer shops, while others are... much, if not most, depends upon the dealership.

I own a 2017 V-Lite; my wife and I love it... plenty of storage and living space for the two of us. This TT has had very few issues (and even fewer problems) since new almost two years ago. Based upon that, we could easily buy another FR product when the time comes. We recently took a cursory look at a new 2019 Grand Design 315RLTS that was very slightly larger than our 30WRLIKS. It is a beautiful and well-appointed TT, to be certain, but we will be hard pressed to "upgrade" to anything else right now because we like the V-Lite so well. The good news is that the dealership has been excellent, so when we upgrade, we will likely go there to make the deal.
Summit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 12:11 PM   #74
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berta12angels View Post
We have a 37’ Georgetown 378xl and there is so much wrong with it it to much to write the list we have tried to get help but that does work it was three years old when we bought it. So now we just tell everyone not to buy forest river. To late for us but we will make sure no one else buys one.
Okay, let me get this straight. It was three years old when you got it, obviously used, and you're blaming FR?
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:39 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
It wouldn't matter what fifth wheel I bought next, if I ever do........and probably won't. But if I did, I'd immediately get:

MorRyde Independent Suspension

Tire/wheel upgrade to H rated, LT tires (Probably Goodyear 611's)

TrailSaver BD5 hitch

Custom full body paint

Assuming Levelup and Res. Reefer are 'standard' and already on it.

Do that, and many of the supposed flaws will disappear on any of them.

Just my opinion.

Everyone buys what makes them feel good. Issues and anger arise from sloppy production. Buy what makes you feel good; fix it; use it...
FR has stood with me on any issues for my 2015 Silverback.
I personally like them.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:46 PM   #76

We've had 2 Cedar Creeks and no major issues on either one.
ER17453361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:38 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berta12angels View Post

Oh I missed the part about your camper being 3 years old when you purchased the unit, doesn’t as is mean anything to you. No rv manufacture will cover a second owner. Autos have the same thing unless there is warranty left. I would trade the unit in and buy a new one from someone. On a rv there is no warranty left even if the camper is only three months old, if the unit has been titled once the warranty is gone. A rv and a auto about the only thing they have in common is both have wheels. I tell everyone that Cedar Creek is a great Forest River brand
Old 05-25-2019, 09:28 PM   #78
Retired Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Oh I missed the part about your camper being 3 years old when you purchased the unit, doesn’t as is mean anything to you. No rv manufacture will cover a second owner.
Not necessarily true. Forest River did for us when we found frame issues last year. Did not cost us a dime and they sent a mobile repair professional from LCI to do the work. It was 3 years old and out of all warranties. I was given a contact and told to send him photos. They took care of setting the repairs up from there. They did the work as a goodwill gesture, but they did not have to. And we greatly appreciated it though.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:02 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
Not necessarily true. Forest River did for us when we found frame issues last year. Did not cost us a dime and they sent a mobile repair professional from LCI to do the work. It was 3 years old and out of all warranties. I was given a contact and told to send him photos. They took care of setting the repairs up from there. They did the work as a goodwill gesture, but they did not have to. And we greatly appreciated it though.

So your camper was used, you are the second owner. Great service. Did they take care of any other problems you had
Old 05-27-2019, 11:20 PM   #80
Retired Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
So your camper was used, you are the second owner. Great service. Did they take care of any other problems you had
No, but that is the only one we asked them to address. I can do the rest, and having previously owned travel trailers, I expect to do most of it myself anyway. My point is FR went beyond the warranty for us. It never hurts to try and see what they say. Dealers are another story, especially since they make less on warranty work than they do on "customer" work.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river