Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2016, 12:58 PM   #1

FR faded caps issue for second owner

SITE TEAM NOTE: this thread was split from another thread. Please follow all site guidelines and play nice. Hopefully we can find a solution for this members problems.

I've emailed Cedar Creek about getting the fading on our 2015 38CK taken care of. Not happy with the lack of response. Who is this Denise y'all talk of and how do I get a contact number?
kway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 03:17 PM   #2

Use E mail.
1. Faster response
2. Written direction

Denise Davis
Dldavis@forestriverinc.com

She oversees exactly what you need. Had mine done a year ago. Be POLITE. She did not cause the problem. She IS the one who can potentially get it done for you. FR is WELL AWARE of the issue.
Just say'n
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:42 PM   #3

I am always polite even when I'm not happy. Thank you for the info.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:21 PM   #4

Angry

Apparently our front cap fading issue is NOT covered by Forest River either by warranty or courtesy. Denise responded saying that the warranty covers only the original owner. I received another email from a lady named Kelly asking for our shipping address then a follow up email stating "oops you aren't the original owner" therefore warranty doesn't cover your camper and Forest River only extends courtesy remedies to the original owner despite the fact that your fifth wheel is a 2015.

Am I completely wrong in expecting that the front cap should NOT have faded yet?
Old 10-31-2016, 06:42 PM   #5
Canadian Member

kway, I had a delamination issue on a Roo hybrid that I was the 2nd owner of. Rockwood sent me new parts and I had to pay a dealer to do the installation. Maybe Cedar Creek would be willing to make the same kind of offer to help fix your faded caps? It's worth a try.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:46 PM   #6

Caps

Mine faded TWICE within 1 year. It is cosmetic and not safety related. If Denise ran it up the flagpole and it did not stick, you are likely SOL.

You need to find a "second owner" who did have assistance. Or become a pioneer and get it done.

Everyone I saw getting help was original owner, including me.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kway View Post
Apparently our front cap fading issue is NOT covered by Forest River either by warranty or courtesy. Denise responded saying that the warranty covers only the original owner. I received another email from a lady named Kelly asking for our shipping address then a follow up email stating "oops you aren't the original owner" therefore warranty doesn't cover your camper and Forest River only extends courtesy remedies to the original owner despite the fact that your fifth wheel is a 2015.

Am I completely wrong in expecting that the front cap should NOT have faded yet?
The fading gelcoat has been a problem for all manufacturers using the unpainted colored fiberglass front and rear caps. Many of them have gone to using painted caps to eliminate the problem. Cedar Creek claims they have switched to a better quality gel coat on the newest models to eliminate the problem. If your is faded the best cure is to have it painted with a base coat/clear coat process. Many truck/bus body shops have the right equipment to do this. Most RV dealers do not and farm the work out, mark up the price and have it done for you. I had both caps on my previous SOB trailer painted. I was the original owner. The manufacturer paid for for the front, a year or two two later when the rear cap went bad I had to pay for it. No amount of waxing or polishing will get rid of it permanently. I don't know of any manufacturers that will pay to have this done for the second or subsequent owners. It's not a safety concern, it's not going to fall apart. Strictly cosmetic. If you got a good enough deal on your trailer I guess I would then just count this a general maintenance item and move on. Once it has been properly painted it should look great for years. Not so sure if the same will happen with the "new" replacement caps or not..
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:57 PM   #8

I researched our VIN and based on that our fifth wheel was manufactured in 2015. So I have a problem with a company that regardless of owner refuses to back their product. I get that it's not a safety issue but it is a quality issue. This is a known problem to Forest River yet they refuse to do anything about it. I'm still playing nice at this point but my patience is running thin.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:47 AM   #9

Quote:
I researched our VIN and based on that our fifth wheel was manufactured in 2015. So I have a problem with a company that regardless of owner refuses to back their product. I get that it's not a safety issue but it is a quality issue. This is a known problem to Forest River yet they refuse to do anything about it. I'm still playing nice at this point but my patience is running thin.

I really don't think you have a case. If it was me I would spend my money on painting the cap. Or I would trade the camper.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:32 AM   #10

I ordered a new Wildcat from the factory and in the year I had the camper the dealer had it more than me. My camping trips were mostly to the dealer, I finally got tired of the run around and traded the camper. I traded for a Cedar Creek and the cap faded and all Cedar Creek wanted to do was buff it out, I think the problem with cap fade was just starting. I traded that Cedar Creek for the Cedar Creek I have now, it's a 2015. This cap faded and I called Denise at the factory because my dealer said call the factory. They replaced the cap at the factory and I was told by Orvin that the rear cap should have been replaced at the same time. I like my Cedar Creek but I would trade for a bigger Cedar Creek tomorrow if I could. My residential refrigerator fell out of the mount on the way home from the factory. Unfortunately for me I didn't buy the second year warranty from Cedar Creek, I brought a extended warranty from Camping World, biggest mistake I ever made. Camping World sucks big time.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:20 PM   #11

They don't stand behind the quality of their product. We may be second owner but this is a 2015 model and should NOT be fading regardless of what owner we are. Trust me when I say that a FR product will not be on the radar for future purchases. From what I've read there are problems with getting warranty work done with any company however this issue isn't about warranty work. It's about fixing a well known product on a relatively new rig.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:35 PM   #12

On my 32RL the front cap faded but really still I would buy another Cedar Creek but to each his own, I don't buy used campers or trucks but again every body is different. If I liked the unit I would just bite the bullet and have the cap painted. You probably got the camper at a pretty good deal.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:12 AM   #13

Do yourself a favor

Quote:
They don't stand behind the quality of their product. We may be second owner but this is a 2015 model and should NOT be fading regardless of what owner we are. Trust me when I say that a FR product will not be on the radar for future purchases. From what I've read there are problems with getting warranty work done with any company however this issue isn't about warranty work. It's about fixing a well known product on a relatively new rig.
I am not criticizing your feelings or experience. Nothing will help you to have a satisfactory experience except factory stepping up and fixing everything. IF THEY DO NOT; do not lose your health complaining. Take the bull by the horns and take some action to mitigate your LOSS. Paint it or trade it and move on. Your displeasure will not ease until you do. Life is short and you do not need this in your life.
Over my 73 short years I have sold boats; horses; campers; cars and on and on just to "get rid of them".
DO SOMETHING FOR YOURSELF AND THOSE AROUND YOU.....
Last week I sold 2 motorcycles for $5000 LESS than average book. Why; time to move on.
If your unit is solid except caps, a dealer will allow for paint and trade you. Why wait??! GO!!
Enjoy the gift of RV'ing in a new RV of your choice.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:52 AM   #14

We may be the minority here but we just do not have the resources to simply take a loss on this rig. We are both hard working professionals but have two kids in college and have shopped, saved and scrimped for five years just to buy this CC. We purchased used simply because it had never been really used. The appliances and furniture were still tagged and had shipping plastic on them. The inside and outside were immaculate. The price may have been half of a new one but again we bought what we could afford. It's a nice rig except for the front cap fading. With our budget constraints we just can't take a loss on this unit. At least not until the kids graduate from school and are out on their own without help from us.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:02 AM   #15

Quote:
We may be the minority here but we just do not have the resources to simply take a loss on this rig. We are both hard working professionals but have two kids in college and have shopped, saved and scrimped for five years just to buy this CC. We purchased used simply because it had never been really used. The appliances and furniture were still tagged and had shipping plastic on them. The inside and outside were immaculate. The price may have been half of a new one but again we bought what we could afford. It's a nice rig except for the front cap fading. With our budget constraints we just can't take a loss on this unit. At least not until the kids graduate from school and are out on their own without help from us.
I understand your pain but let me just say that RVing at the Cedar Creek level or other brand equivalent IS going to be a recurring expense for upkeep; and increasing as the unit gets older. Ownership does not stop with purchase price.

I have see units with damage, bad appearance, neglect and just plain age that I wouldn't even consider owning, but those owners seem to be okay with the imperfections and don't stress over it.

Now that you know the factory policy just define your priority and suck it up and get it fixed at your expense or stop looking at it and have some happy camping experiences. Sorry for the frankness.
Nights Camped: 2017=61
Nights Camped: 2018=25
Nights Camped: 2019=12 | Booked=6
florabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by florabama View Post
I understand your pain but let me just say that RVing at the Cedar Creek level or other brand equivalent IS going to be a recurring expense for upkeep; and increasing as the unit gets older. Ownership does not stop with purchase price.

I have see units with damage, bad appearance, neglect and just plain age that I wouldn't even consider owning, but those owners seem to be okay with the imperfections and don't stress over it.

Now that you know the factory policy just define your priority and suck it up and get it fixed at your expense or stop looking at it and have some happy camping experiences. Sorry for the frankness.
You seem to have the wrong impression about me. First and foremost I am not stupid and expect upkeep expenses during any vehicle, home or RV purchase. I was raised in a family that always had RVs. So I didn't come into this blindly. I did come into this naively thinking that FR would stand behind any factory/manufacturing issues being that the unit was nearly new when we bought it. - just as I expect our home builder or car manufacturer to stand behind their products.

The fading isn't going to keep me from using the rig to visit my kids in other states but it is bothersome for me that FR KNOWS and is AWARE of this issue yet is determined to do nothing about it.

My father rarely had problems with his RV manufacturers fixing issues that were known by the companies. Once he had a problem with his Bounder that the company refused to fix. A pointed letter from his attorney got them towed, fixed and put up in a hotel in Santa Fe for a week. I'm not to the attorney point yet but yes I am peeved that my hard earned money paid for a product that looks ten years older than it is and FR knows about this issue and refuses to stand behind their product. Forgive me if I don't have deep enough pockets or lax attitude to just let it go. Quite frankly I'm amazed at the thought process of many of you who think this is okay. It is NOT okay.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:16 AM   #17

I was told by someone that worked for Cedar Creek for a lot of years that my rear cap will fade just like the front cap that the factory replaced. If it does I'll have it repainted, it's to far to just drive back to the factory. On the way home my residential refrigerator fell out of the mount, cost me $200 bucks to get the refrigerator put back in. Cedar Creek did not do a very good job installing the refrigerator or it would not have fell out. I really like our Creek and have no plans to trade.

Old 11-04-2016, 11:29 AM   #18

The warranty is not transferrable, period. You knew this going in, but got such a great deal (half off MSRP on a basically new rig is a Great Deal), that you rolled the dice with having no warranty. Don't complain now that the rules shouldn't apply to you. You want the Great Deal and FR to warrant you. They lost a new sale because you chose to purchase used. Sounds like you saved thousands more off the purchase price than the painting will cost. Use some of the savings to fix your rig and move on.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
The warranty is not transferrable, period. You knew this going in, but got such a great deal (half off MSRP on a basically new rig is a Great Deal), that you rolled the dice with having no warranty. Don't complain now that the rules shouldn't apply to you. You want the Great Deal and FR to warrant you. They lost a new sale because you chose to purchase used. Sounds like you saved thousands more off the purchase price than the painting will cost. Use some of the savings to fix your rig and move on.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K
That would be acceptable except that this is a factory defect in my opinion. A factory defect should be repaired by the manufacturer.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:11 PM   #20
Canadian Member

kway, I have to agree with lbrjet. I posted earlier that Rockwood sent me replacement parts for delaminated bunk doors on my Roo (that was only 2 years old at the time) but I had to have the dealer install them. The dealer install cost me $1000 that I didn't have planned in the family budget.

You and I know full well that buying used makes your dollar go a lot farther but it comes with the risk of not having a factory warranty. We agreed to take that chance. It sucks that your caps are fading but you have no warranty covering it and it's not a safety issue that would necessitate a recall. If Cedar Creek won't send you replacement caps, unfortunately you're stuck. It may be that FR has determine its purely cosmetic and doesn't prevent you from using your trailer. My bunks however, had they failed, would have prevented us from using it so they agree to a partially cover it. It's also possible that Cedar Creek is not as generous as Rockwood. Who knows.

As was advised earlier, you can either do nothing (its just cosmetic), get it repainted yourself at your cost, or sell it and get something else. I know the "savings" from not buying new is not real money in your pocket that's available to cover the repainting but unfortunately you'll have to decide what you want to do. Ultimately, don't get yourself in a know about it.

BTW, if you start talking about lawyers that will get this thread shut down almost immediately because its against forum rules, so if you choose to take that route you won't be able to discuss it further here.

I hope you continue to enjoy using your Cedar Creek.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote