Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2022, 07:07 AM   #1

Fresh water tank filling up

I am not sure why my fresh water tank keeps filling up when I am hooked up to city water. I have attached a picture showing how I have my valves turned since dewinterizing. Do I have something turned wrong or do I have another issue. I did not have this issue last year after dewinterizing. 2020 34IK. Thanks for any info.Click image for larger version

Name:	20220520_075638.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	273569
mshenygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 07:36 AM   #2

Sometimes the check valve get stuck, turn your fresh water pump on and off a few times. This helps solve the issue most of the time.
Old 05-20-2022, 07:38 AM   #3

not 100% SURE but, your red lines valves are inline direction but blue is other direction.
wildmanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 08:37 AM   #4

I am going to try turning the pump on and off a few times. I will let everone know how that does. Thank you
Old 05-20-2022, 08:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshenygo View Post
I am going to try turning the pump on and off a few times. I will let everone know how that does. Thank you
I can't help you with valve position, but might want to think of the check valve as a ball bearing, with a spring to hold it in place.

Best way to "exercise" it (imho) is by switching back and forth between water sources: City pressure, pump pressure, city pressure, pump pressure. That does a lot to "wiggle it free."
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 11:12 AM   #6

I will follow up in a little bit.
Old 05-20-2022, 01:07 PM   #7

So I went out and turned the water pump on got some water out of the faucet but it was almost all just air,and the pump just keeps running.The fresh water tank is full I turned the drain valve on to drain the tank and it is still emptying. With the city water on and the pump on switching back and forth it is the same amount of water. Would it be the check valve still stuck, if it is can it be taken apart and cleaned? Thank you
Old 05-20-2022, 01:37 PM   #8

Exclamation

Quote:
So I went out and turned the water pump on got some water out of the faucet but it was almost all just air,and the pump just keeps running.
That would likely indicate that the valve for sucking winterizing antifreeze into the system is still open, and the pump is sucking air instead. Make sure that valve is closed.

CAMPING (n. CAM-ping) - When you walk the dog in your pajamas with a cup of coffee in one hand and a bag of dog poop in the other while striking up a conversation with total strangers.
PopFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 01:37 PM   #9

If your freshwater tank is full, I’m surprised you’re not getting a prime on the waterpump. Is the anti-freeze intake valve closed so that you are really drawing from your freshwater tank?
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 07:07 PM   #10

I had a issue with my water tank filling up the first spring I used my Georgetown after winterizing etc. We went somewhere and hooked up to water, my fresh water tank slowly filled up. Found out that our outdoor spray/shower had one of the knobs turned on instead of off. Some reason they seemed to operate backwards. Check that out.
Retired Electrician, Miller Brewery, 31 yrs.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 09:25 PM   #11

Fresh water

X2-anti-freeze valve. Sucking air is the give away.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 12:50 AM   #12

If I'm not mistaken there is a shutoff valve in the water control bay on the line from the FW tank to the pump and if it is not open then the OP would only get air when the pump is running. I have experienced it a couple of times and had to open the valve to get water through the pump.

I had the FW tank overfill one time. Orvan pointed out that the City/FW valve may not have been all the way towards the City. I went ahead and had Orvan install a valve after the City/FW valve on the line that goes to the FW tank in case I run into the problem again, which I haven't.

Good luck and stay safe -

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 05:56 AM   #13

Are you turning off the City Water and reliving the pressure before running the pump? I had the same problem one time and I had to turn off the City Water and run the pump to get the check valve to close. The pressure of the City Water would not let the check valve close.
Old 05-21-2022, 05:59 AM   #14

Quote:
So I went out and turned the water pump on got some water out of the faucet but it was almost all just air,and the pump just keeps running.The fresh water tank is full I turned the drain valve on to drain the tank and it is still emptying. With the city water on and the pump on switching back and forth it is the same amount of water. Would it be the check valve still stuck, if it is can it be taken apart and cleaned? Thank you
Turn the city water off before turning the pump on.
sylviachesterparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 02:51 PM   #15

Thanks for all the help turns out it was the city/freshwater tank valve that was stuck. Thanks for all your help!!!

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank