Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2021, 10:01 AM   #1

Fridge running

This last trip, after putting trailer in storage, I turned the batt cut off switch. Don't know why other than hobbit from old trailer with absorption fridge. The new CC has res fridge. Are they wired so the fridge will still run while disconnected? Also want to mention my unit has solar panel hooked up from factory, other wise I would know the answere. Thanks for your response. BOB
6.7ltr PSD
2021 Cedar Creek 34 IK
BOBnSUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 10:27 AM   #2

First, you need to ensure your battery cutoff actually cuts off everything 100% or you will have dead batteries when you return unless you have it wired for solar to charge the batteries with everything else cutoff. About the only way to do this is do it yourself. Factory installed cutoff switches do not cut off many parasitic draws.
If you have a residential fridge, your unit has an inverter that will convert 12v to 110 to run your fridge. It also has an on/off switch you should employ.
But if you have a 100% battery cutoff, have shore power at your storage site, or properly use your solar, then no worries.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:21 AM   #3

hard to say but i would pretty much echo what has been said above. most likely the inverter is wired directly to the batteries and is not affected by the factory installed battery disconnect. if you do not turn the inverter off i would expect the refrigerator to eventually draw down the batteries, even with the solar, but we don't know how much solar. if you turn the inverter and disconnect off the solar may or may not keep the batteries fully charged. it would depend on how much solar and what type of sunshine is available.

Tags
fridge